What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

prepaid microSIM for iPad in Spain

nsbluenose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! we will be traveling to Spain in July and would like to have access to 3G service while we are there. Does anyone know where we might be able to buy a prepaid card for use while we are in Spain (preferably in Madrid as that will be our first stop)? We would need a microSIM card that is available without a Spanish bank account or credit card. We will need service for about 10 days, mostly for email and GPS, but don't want to have to rely on finding available Wifi. Info that I have read seems a bit confusing - maybe Orange sells one for 20 euros but it didn't seems clear if that was available to tourists...???
Thanks!!

Cloudette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to know the answer to this question too nsbluenose. Perhaps someone could help us translate it for our Spanish fellow members? Please?

bookie288

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a "Holiday phone" sim card and data plan for an ipad in Spain last week. * $50 for microsim card and 3gigs. It worked very well. *Initially had to download an "APN" system which is available via a google search (ATT uses VPN. Copy your VPN login info prior to changing to APN). *The written Happy Phone login details were not specific to what the APN login info need, but they replied to an email request to clarify as follows:
APN: internettph
USER NAME: empty
PASSWORD: empty. * * * *Pin #____ will be requested.
If I did it again, I would go through a trial login in the US to clarify what type login information was needed and confirm that I had the matching terms the data company was providing. *Good travels. *

JerryVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Successfully obtained Spain "Orange" SIM for "AT&T" ipad 3

<div>I just returned from Spain. I purchased a SIM ("Orange", 20 Euro, for 1GB, 30 days) from a "phone store" in Madrid. The transaction took only a few minutes. They do need to make a copy of a passport. I had previously had an AT&amp;T monthly 3G plan on the ipad 3 ($15 for 250Mbit). &nbsp;You should know several things. I was surprised how few people in Spain speak English. This made communication more difficult, but far from impossible. I found virtually everyone friendly and eager to help! The first store was in a busy mall. The SIM kept giving en error "no time left in plan". The sales person tried every number on the SIM card in the following location on the ipad:</div><div>Settings &gt; Celular Data &gt; APN Settings: Cellular Data APN&nbsp;</div><div>Nothing worked. A very long line was forming, and he finally said the ipad was locked and could not work. I kept the SIMS card installed. In a small town in Northern Spain I went into another store advertising "Orange". I speak no Spanish, the three people in the store spoke no English, but we had a grand time miming our request. Helpful does not begin to describe this crew. After entering all information on the SIM card failed, he called the "Orange" internet provider who told him "internet" was the magic term to be entered in the location described above. He then turned the ipad off and on and everything worked. I was bicycle touring &nbsp;along Camino de Santiago, and also the Rioja wine region. Coverage was good near any town of a few hundred or more. There was no coverage in more remote country side. We did have free WiFi in hotels, and 1/3 of the campgrounds we stayed in. Non-the-less, it was great to have 3G. When rain was threatening we could find nearby hotel information complete with rating and prices. (Try the App Hipmunk, when that did not give answers, Google maps did.) Although one could do without 3G, I found it extremely convenient.</div><div>What you can take away from this note is: Even if you have had an AT&amp;T plan on your ipad it is not "locked". You need to enter a code in the location described above. The sales person may need to call the internet provider to learn what that code is. Hope this helps. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div>

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
That's good news. Thanks, JerryVT, for sharing your experience.
And by the way, the price is ok, similar to what you can get here in Germany.

Thanks again,

Knut

timbellina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry

Thanks Jerry - good to know. Fortunately, my local Orange shop's manager was brought up in the UK, so I'll be visiting her this evening!

Most reactions