What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preload app/documents without Apple ID

Zagawiguay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I have a client (major car brand) who wants to hand out an iPad Mini to each purchase of a new car. My company is the one to prepare and send those out.
Now, of course my clients wants on each iPad
- their app
- some documents
- Internet start page
Sorry, I don't know much about Apple, so could anyone help me? We need to install this without an Apple ID, since the iPad should be "unconfigured" when arriving to the client.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, Andy

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a client (major car brand) who wants to hand out an iPad Mini to each purchase of a new car. My company is the one to prepare and send those out.
Now, of course my clients wants on each iPad
- their app
- some documents
- Internet start page
Sorry, I don't know much about Apple, so could anyone help me? We need to install this without an Apple ID, since the iPad should be "unconfigured" when arriving to the client.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, Andy

I'm sorry to say that what you/your client want to do will not be possible - unless the intent is to control the use of that iPad in the future.

To put on an app, documents, etc., means that you have to open the iPad box and do an initial configuration on the iPad. Then, you will have to log in (or create) an Apple ID to load the client's app on the iPad. Each iPad will have to have this process done.

Yes, you can do a mass load of the iPad using the assistance in the link J.A. provided. However, you still have to have an Apple ID to do so.

Then, when you hand the iPad to the customer, they will have to keep the iPad "as is." If they try to restore it to either upgrade the software, remove the data your client put on the iPad or for whatever reason, they will no longer be able to use the iPad as it will be locked to your client's account. They will have to return to your client for any help or assistance with their iPad. In other words, they won't really own the iPad...

Given the way Apple has set up security on these iPads with the advent of iOS 7, I would suggest your client abandon the idea of "pre-loading" the iPad with their information. If they do, they are retaining control of the iPad.

Maybe they should just give out unopened iPads and include a brochure to encourage the customer to get the app and download the information...?

Marilyn

Marilyn

OP
Z

Zagawiguay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see. This information was very helpful, thanks to the both of you!
Right now I don't know which way to go, but at least I can try to find the best solution.

OP
Z

Zagawiguay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that what you/your client want to do will not be possible - unless the intent is to control the use of that iPad in the future.

To put on an app, documents, etc., means that you have to open the iPad box and do an initial configuration on the iPad. Then, you will have to log in (or create) an Apple ID to load the client's app on the iPad. Each iPad will have to have this process done.

Yes, you can do a mass load of the iPad using the assistance in the link J.A. provided. However, you still have to have an Apple ID to do so.

Then, when you hand the iPad to the customer, they will have to keep the iPad "as is." If they try to restore it to either upgrade the software, remove the data your client put on the iPad or for whatever reason, they will no longer be able to use the iPad as it will be locked to your client's account. They will have to return to your client for any help or assistance with their iPad. In other words, they won't really own the iPad...

Given the way Apple has set up security on these iPads with the advent of iOS 7, I would suggest your client abandon the idea of "pre-loading" the iPad with their information. If they do, they are retaining control of the iPad.

Maybe they should just give out unopened iPads and include a brochure to encourage the customer to get the app and download the information...?

Marilyn

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn
Thanks again for your input. I just thought about this for a moment and I'm just wondering one thing: Do I have to have an ID to only start up the iPad or do I need it only for the AppStore? I'm asking this because the app doesn't have to come from the AppStore. Since my client has developed the app, I could install it on the iPad without the AppStore.
If I remember right, with the last iPad I prepared, I could start it up without an Apple ID.
Does that change anything?
Thank you, Andy

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need the Apple ID for Stores (App, iTunes, iBooks) on the iPad. When you set it up, you can skip that step and set it up without Apple ID at first and the owner will be able to sign in later and use all it's features.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say no because your situation does not fit the parameters set up by Apple for putting apps on a device without using the AppStore.

On that, specifically, we've gone w-a-y out of my knowledge base. But, here are some links I found (that caused me to think it can't be done):

https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/enterprise.php

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2236519

http://mobiledan.net/2012/03/02/5-options-for-distributing-ios-apps-to-a-limited-audience-legally/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11301361/ios-app-deployment-without-appstore

Of course, your interpretation or understanding of the situation is probably more than or better than mine. Again, this is way over my head... :)

Marilyn

OP
Z

Zagawiguay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need the Apple ID for Stores (App, iTunes, iBooks) on the iPad. When you set it up, you can skip that step and set it up without Apple ID at first and the owner will be able to sign in later and use all it's features.

I think that's the approach I have to go for. Set it up without ID and install the app directly from Mac. Thanks!

OP
Z

Zagawiguay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say no because your situation does not fit the parameters set up by Apple for putting apps on a device without using the AppStore.

On that, specifically, we've gone w-a-y out of my knowledge base. But, here are some links I found (that caused me to think it can't be done):

https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/enterprise.php

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2236519

http://mobiledan.net/2012/03/02/5-options-for-distributing-ios-apps-to-a-limited-audience-legally/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11301361/ios-app-deployment-without-appstore

Of course, your interpretation or understanding of the situation is probably more than or better than mine. Again, this is way over my head... :)

Marilyn

I will work through the links.
What I know for sure is that there is a way to install an app without the AppStore. I know cause a programmer in our company has designed an app to register leads at a car show. This app is not in the app store and I saw how he could transfer it from Mac. My only problem is that he is on a 3 month leave and nobody else knows about that stuff. I'll find my way though.
Thank you so much for your help!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will work through the links.
What I know for sure is that there is a way to install an app without the AppStore. I know cause a programmer in our company has designed an app to register leads at a car show. This app is not in the app store and I saw how he could transfer it from Mac. My only problem is that he is on a 3 month leave and nobody else knows about that stuff. I'll find my way though.
Thank you so much for your help!
The type of app you are referring to is called an enterprise app.You have to be a registered iOS developer in order to do that and the devices in question have to be registered to the developers account. The iPads would then not really belong to your customers but to your company.
Please note that enterprise apps are intended only for internal company apps and are not to be distributed to the public. Here's the link to the Apple Enterprise Developer program. https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/enterprise.php

Most reactions

Latest posts