What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictive text

Spindlewoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tis has probably been raised before, butI find that the way iPad predicts what I want to say (usually incorrectly) a total pain. Is there any way that anyone has found to turn off this annoying 'habit'? ThNks in advance for any help

caledonia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you switch it off for selective websites as it only annoys me on share websites? When I enter a company symbol like CSN my iPad changes it to CAN.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought, still do, that if you correct its correction then your word is included in the library and shouldn't be changed in the future. No??

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you do the opposite? It seems to learn my words, and if I deliberately misspell a word or if I use an obscure word that is not in its dictionary it learns what I want, but only after a time. Is there a way to tell it 'now learn this word now'?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you switch it off for selective websites as it only annoys me on share websites? When I enter a company symbol like CSN my iPad changes it to CAN.

I, too, had the problem of auto-correct being just no right. But, only just enough to be annoying, not enough to turn off the feature. I found this trick somewhere on the web (this quote is from writer Sharon Zardetto over at Macworld - just to save me some typing):

...f you ever reset your Keyboard Dictionary, it has the added benefit of preserving all of the words you've used it to designate. This method takes advantage of the fact that autocorrect accepts Contacts name entries as genuine words and won’t suggest that you change them.

Here's what you do:

Create a new contact, and type zzz as the initial letters in the Last field to keep it sorted at the bottom of the list, where it’s out of the way. Then type each of your special words, separated by spaces, into the First, Last, or Company field of the zzz contact.

So, if you put CSN in that contact, auto-correct won't try to fix it. And, as it is in your contacts, you won't even get the red squiggle line...

Worth a shot, maybe?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts