What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-owned ipad 1

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

My 9yr old son had taken quite a shine to my new iPad, I had been considering getting him a netbook later in the year but am now toying with the idea of getting him a used original iPad.

What limitations are there with the original, bearing in mind my only experience with ipads are with the gen3?

I read here that ipad1 will not be getting the new OS release so can I assume that this is the start of support being withdrawn for ipad1?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mark

I had an original iPad as soon as they were available in the UK - my wife bought hers a couple of weeks later - and we still use them regularly, despite both having New iPads. But, they are noticeably slower to use; hardware was compromised (particularly RAM) to meet the original £399 price-point so even for relatively straightforward web-browsing you'll find some websites lagging, especially if you scroll quickly down the page.

That aside, the screen's the same as the iPad 2 - not as high-res as the New iPad, but still very good - and the battery life is excellent. There are no cameras on the original iPad, which may be an issue if your lad is into e.g. Augmented Reality games, and the original iPad is a little heavier than the subsequent models.

Having said that, if I was 9 years old and my Dad offered me an iPad, I'd be thrilled, so if you could pick one up cheaply enough then an original iPad may be well worthwhile, provided you realise you're buying a discontinued product that, as you (rightly IMHO) say won't receive any further iOS software updates. If you were feeling like a particularly benevolent SuperDad, then I think an Apple Refurbished iPad2 from £259 in the UK Apple store is hard to beat.

HTH Pete.

OP
axis

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
reahn said:
iPad 1 will not get ios 6

Yep, got that, as stated in my original post. I was more concerned hat this may be a slow phase out of support etc for the iPad 1.
I'd like my lad to at least get a couple of years or so out of it.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
axis said:
Yep, got that, as stated in my original post. I was more concerned hat this may be a slow phase out of support etc for the iPad 1.
I'd like my lad to at least get a couple of years or so out of it.

Hello axis, I HATE to say anything bad about my venerable iPad Original-->I'm using it to type this reply! For me, this iPad works and works well. BUT I have to do a lot of work arounds to keep it that way. I have to remember to remove apps I've closed but stay in resident mode in the shelf. I have to regularly clear history in Safari, I have to....you get my idea! I don't think anyone, even a nine year old person, would tolerate for very long doing these workarounds. Furthermore, I have a nine-year old nephew who totally loved to use my iPad but quickly brought it to its knees, he had so many open apps it was staggering.

So, totally spoiling uncle (I don't have to live with him full time, so I can buy him anything--parent approved of course) bought him a refurbished iPad2 from the Apple store, forum member PeterMillard mentioned that possibility earlier. Said nephew is now too engrossed in his iPad2 and it takes hunger or a promise of a movie for that iPad to be left in his room. He has so many memory intensive games on his iPad2 that I'm amazed he has picked it all up quickly. Most annoying is that he has found the camera, iMessage, and Facetime.

Please do yourself and your 9 year old a favor and buy the iPad2. BTW, when you get him his iPad2, have Find My iPhone (also for the iPad) running, and passcode lock it. This is a great way to find the iPad and also a good way to find the kid attached to it.

Last edited:
OP
axis

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, looks like a refurbed gen 2 could be the way to go, he may have to wait just a little longer though.

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 1 and it's not a big deal to manage. keep it at ios 4.3.5 if you can, and make sure to close background apps every now and again. No offense, but this is for a 9 year old. When I was 14, the Walkman cost $125 (early 1980's pricing) and only the most well-to-do families got them, and rarely for anyone under their teenage years. An iPad 1 is very generous for a 9 year old.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kids have higher expectations these days. I could play the "When I was a lad..." game, but really, nearly every kid that comes into my house secures the wifi password almost as soon as they have their shoes off.

My son and his friends are satisfied enough with the iPod touch, but jump at the chance to get their hands on my iPad. Which is one reason I'm usually using my phone to access the forum.

Love the idea of using the iPad to find the kid, Matt. I would think it is 99% accurate.

Most reactions

Latest posts