What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-ordering versus buying in store

TziporaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I see I made my mind up too late about trying to preorder an iPad. I'm guessing that there is not a chance in the world, when the Apple STore site is currently saying all iPad 3 models will ship on March 19th for anything to change for it to come any sooner?

Here's my thing and what I am pondering (maybe it's a bit insane but I'm sure at least some of you can understand!). My birthday is actually March 16th. I sure would love a new iPad for my birthday(my first iPad actually, but I'm a huge Apple fanatic... made the horrific decision to buy a Nook Tablet but it sure is no iPad!). I wish I had realized earlier that I have the funds for it and should go for it (still feeling buyers remorse on that Nook!!!) I'm half interested in engraving anyway so I'm probably going to preorder.

However, I do live just 2 miles away from an Apple store. I have never bought an Apple product on the launch date before so I have no clue if I would even make it to the store before they sold out. But what I'm pondering is... I recently bought a MacBook Pro. I know my credit card was not actually charged for it until I received it. If I were to preorder an iPad 3 now (knowing it is not expected to even ship until the 19th). If I somehow managed to snag an iPad in store on the 16th, I could cancel my order in time, presumably?

Maybe I am just too desperate but I'm about to have a minor surgery in addition to some crazy long medical testing (my doctor flat out told me to bring something to do and mentioned bringing along an iPad, seriously, and that was all it took to get me to seriously consider buying one, haha) so hence, getting one sooner rather than later appeals to me a lot but I can wait if need be. I'm also disabled so I'm not sure I would ever manage to wait in line at the store or even make it there before the iPads were sold out and I have no clue how that goes. And presumably if the iPads sell out on the 16th, it will take days for the stores to get more in, correct? ANd does the store sell all 3 sizes? I know I'm interested in either 32 or 64GBs. And I ask since I had wanted to purchase my MBP in stores but they did not sell the 15inch with the anti-glare screen in stores so I had to order that one anyway. So no use even trying to go to the store either, if they aren't going to have the iPad I want, obviously.

I'm largely guessing I might as well submit my preorder and do so sooner rather than later (like tonight, might as well)... and the march 19th ship date is when it ships from Apple, right? Not the expected date of arrival, correct? And engraving will only add to my time...

So I don't know. What do you guys think? I know there are other Apple fanatics out there who can get my need to have it sooner rather than later. And it's driving me crazy that it's released on my birthday. Being very ill, rather young, and alone on my birthday sucks. I'd love a shiny new iPad that day but I'm guessing I made up my mind too late on that. Preordering is probably my best bet, yes? But any input would be greatly appreciated. I can't make up my mind on the best way to go about purchasing it but I would gather that it seems unlikely I have ay real chance of getting it on launch date when getting to the stores and waiting in line is challenge for me, physically. But as I've never bought on launch date (besides preordering the iPhone 3gs that did indeed ship to me on launch date, but was ordered from AT&T) so I don't know how the whole supply and demand works but I imagine it's pretty nuts...

So again, any advice is much appreciated. Thanks. :)

OP
T

TziporaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I'm wondering too, how much chance do I have of picking up an iPad the afternoon of March 16th at either the Apple store, Best Buy or any other stores that carry it. I feel like I'll preorder one no matter what but if I can pick one up on the 16th maybe cancel? I don't know. I should probably sleep on this and my head is spinning now. I hope this makes sense though!

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you haven't preordered, your only chance of getting one on the 16th now is to go to a store. The shipping date online is now 3/19. Also, if you did preorder now, odds that you could cancel on the 16th are slim, as well. I wanted to make a change to my order 2 hours after it was placed, and it was already too late to modify the order.

Good luck.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will NEVER line up to buy an Apple product, or any product for that matter. Just get your order on the system and wait (or hit an Apple Store or Best Buy after the initial rush).

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your making me feel like my foolish wants and Must have's are very superficial. However I do count my blessings every day. Hang in there. If you can wait ,fine. Ipad3rd gen is worth waiting for. You could always look for a used ipad2 or new even. If you feel you want a used iPad I can sell you and overnight you a pristine ipad2 with 6 months of use on the battery. I don't think you need to buy my iPad and believe me , I have no intentions of selling it. It is going to keep the 3rd Gen iPad I get on the 14 th , 15th or 16th company and still be usefull to me. If you have no other alternative that you feel will work for you I would overnight it to you for half of what a 32 gig ,ip2 costs me. I don't expect to be taken up on the offer but never the less it is put forth.

Last edited:

ticka1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You never know until you try on buying it in the store. Good Luck - hope you get the "new ipad" on your birthday. I would call ahead and make sure they have them in stock and find out the store's procedures. I know you always see folks standing in line days/hours before the official sale - maybe you are in the part of the country where it is not as crazy!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I stood in line for my iPad 2. I live in a smallish city and the line really wasn't that bad and the people in the line were nice. Also, the best buy folks come out and give you a sheet for the model you say you want (color, memory, 4G V or AT&T). Once you get this sheet, you know there is an iPad waiting for you inside. At that point you just stand there and talk. I got to the store about 30 minutes before the they were to start selling them. I was out in less than 2 hours, including the time spent getting the accessories lined up (which you could do from the line inside the store). This time I pre-ordered, but I still have to go to the Apple store to get my iPad next.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd rather just take a vacation day. Stay home relax or do something around the house while waiting for it.
The Apple store here is in a mall. I hate malls. Haven't been in a mall in over 15 years.
Actually over 90 percent of everything I buy is online.
Anyway I don't like lines either. LOL!

reneepren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you didn't preorder it's really kind of fun to go down to the Apple Store and get your new iPad there. I did it for the first iPhone and the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS. It's an experience you should have. I would definitely go to the local Apple Store and not to a third-party seller.

dbyte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Thinking is .. pre-Order .. Get the engraving .. the birthday present would be "not" having to stand in line and possibly not get one :) Also the fact that standing in line means Im not at work and not getting paid... makes the iPad just a little more expensive when you consider your time and lost wages :p

Gunneruseipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I see I made my mind up too late about trying to preorder an iPad. I'm guessing that there is not a chance in the world, when the Apple STore site is currently saying all iPad 3 models will ship on March 19th for anything to change for it to come any sooner?

Here's my thing and what I am pondering (maybe it's a bit insane but I'm sure at least some of you can understand!). My birthday is actually March 16th. I sure would love a new iPad for my birthday(my first iPad actually, but I'm a huge Apple fanatic... made the horrific decision to buy a Nook Tablet but it sure is no iPad!). I wish I had realized earlier that I have the funds for it and should go for it (still feeling buyers remorse on that Nook!!!) I'm half interested in engraving anyway so I'm probably going to preorder.

However, I do live just 2 miles away from an Apple store. I have never bought an Apple product on the launch date before so I have no clue if I would even make it to the store before they sold out. But what I'm pondering is... I recently bought a MacBook Pro. I know my credit card was not actually charged for it until I received it. If I were to preorder an iPad 3 now (knowing it is not expected to even ship until the 19th). If I somehow managed to snag an iPad in store on the 16th, I could cancel my order in time,

Maybe I am just too desperate but I'm about to have a minor surgery in addition to some crazy long medical testing (my doctor flat out told me to bring something to do and mentioned bringing along an iPad, seriously, and that was all it took to get me to seriously consider buying one, haha) so hence, getting one sooner rather than later appeals to me a lot but I can wait if need be. I'm also disabled so I'm not sure I would ever manage to wait in line at the store or even make it there before the iPads were sold out and I have no clue how that goes. And presumably if the iPads sell out on the 16th, it will take days for the stores to get more in, correct? ANd does the store sell all 3 sizes? I know I'm interested in either 32 or 64GBs. And I ask since I had wanted to purchase my MBP in stores but they did not sell the 15inch with the anti-glare screen in stores so I had to order that one anyway. So no use even trying to go to the store either, if they aren't going to have the iPad I want, obviously.

I'm largely guessing I might as well submit my preorder and do so sooner rather than later (like tonight, might as well)... and the march 19th ship date is when it ships from Apple, right? Not the expected date of arrival, correct? And engraving will only add to my time...

So I don't know. What do you guys think? I know there are other Apple fanatics out there who can get my need to have it sooner rather than later. And it's driving me crazy that it's released on my birthday. Being very ill, rather young, and alone on my birthday sucks. I'd love a shiny new iPad that day but I'm guessing I made up my mind too late on that. Preordering is probably my best bet, yes? But any input would be greatly appreciated. I can't make up my mind on the best way to go about purchasing it but I would gather that it seems unlikely I have ay real chance of getting it on launch date when getting to the stores and waiting in line is challenge for me, physically. But as I've never bought on launch date (besides preordering the iPhone 3gs that did indeed ship to me on launch date, but was ordered from AT&T) so I don't know how the whole supply and demand works but I imagine it's pretty nuts...

So again, any advice is much appreciated. Thanks. :)

providing they haven't shipped the order you have a right to cancel if they have it dpends on thier policy so i
advise you to check if its shipped or not before trying to buy it in store

reneepren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still think you should have a good time by going to your local Apple store. They'll manage the crowd well and the people in line will be fun but whatever you do don't go to Walmart at midnight you'll probably get trampled if you go to Walmart

Most reactions

Latest posts