What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pre loaded maps on the ipad

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was wondering if you could load a set of driveng route maps on the ipad that can pulled up and seen on the ipad screen and used as need ..

so any ideas..

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. We did this in July for our 5 hour roaptrip. We took screenshots of the maps along the route and labeled them with big labels in Photogene. Then we scrolled through the maps our photo album for quick reference.

Worked well.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a functional offline GPS program available yet? Copilot has some of the worst ratings I have seen because they have awful routing. MotionX GPS asks for like 12gb of space to download a single state of maps. Where are the iPad TomTom and Garmin apps?

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MotionX GPS asks for like 12gb of space to download a single state of maps. Where are the iPad TomTom and Garmin apps?

Not sure what you're talking about with MotionX. I have both MotionX GPS Drive and GPS HD. GPS HD is limited to 1GB of space for maps (hardcoded, no choice) and Drive allows you to choose between 256MB and 2GB of space for maps. I just looked at mine and I have a section of new England from vacation in GPS HD and it took up 34MB of space.

And, IMHO MotionX GPS Drive is a rock solid GPS app. Having used TomTom a lot in the past (standalone, on a Palm LD and on a WinMobile device), I won't use it again. Just my opinion, everyone is different.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MotionX GPS asks for like 12gb of space to download a single state of maps. Where are the iPad TomTom and Garmin apps?

Not sure what you're talking about with MotionX. I have both MotionX GPS Drive and GPS HD. GPS HD is limited to 1GB of space for maps (hardcoded, no choice) and Drive allows you to choose between 256MB and 2GB of space for maps. I just looked at mine and I have a section of new England from vacation in GPS HD and it took up 34MB of space.

And, IMHO MotionX GPS Drive is a rock solid GPS app. Having used TomTom a lot in the past (standalone, on a Palm LD and on a WinMobile device), I won't use it again. Just my opinion, everyone is different.

I want the entire US or at least the eastern half to be on my iPad. With MotionX, the maps were GIGANTIC when even selecting a small area, and you could only select in a stupid circle. Is there another way to get it to work like every other GPS app I have ever used and to keep maps of the entire North America in under a gig and a half like Tom Tom and Garmin and all the other big names do?

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The circle selection method is for the GPS HD product. I have used the GPS Drive product in several different regions of the US and it just automatically DL's the maps I need on the fly. If I am driving from Florida to Washington, I don't need the maps for Washington until I get to that part of the route.

Maybe the reason there isn't a TomTom HD product yet is because they can't get the size of the maps down.

You can always use the iPhone app in 2X mode.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MotionX gives you a choice of map resolutions and sizes. If it's for driving choose MotionX Drive. If you need a satellite view, then I agree the maps are huge.

If you have a 3G, then it's simpler. You can use the iPad's maps, they load on the fly. But you have to navigate manually.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the iPhone versions of iGo which I like and Tom Tom which I don't, but integrates better with Google. The graphics are blockyon the iPad, but theybothwork well.

weaselnoze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a question that i'd like to know. SOrry to the OP if this is too far off topic but it does relate..

Can anyone verify if BOTH the wifi AND the 3G models come with GPS? I just read an article that the 3G has the actual GPS hardware built in whereas the wifi only version only has psuedo GPS.

So even if the OP predownloads maps somewhere, will he be able to actually pinpoint his location if he has the WIFI ONLY version?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a question that i'd like to know. SOrry to the OP if this is too far off topic but it does relate..

Can anyone verify if BOTH the wifi AND the 3G models come with GPS? I just read an article that the 3G has the actual GPS hardware built in whereas the wifi only version only has psuedo GPS.

So even if the OP predownloads maps somewhere, will he be able to actually pinpoint his location if he has the WIFI ONLY version?

Wifi does not have GPS. But if you are jailbroken you can use BTStackGPS and an external bluetooth GPS dongle thing, which are cheap. I use BTStackGPS and my phone as the external bluetooth GPS dongle.

weaselnoze

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wifi does not have GPS. But if you are jailbroken you can use BTStackGPS and an external bluetooth GPS dongle thing, which are cheap. I use BTStackGPS and my phone as the external bluetooth GPS dongle.

So even if you use a bluetooth dongle GPS you still need to download maps. For instance google maps wont work because the maps arent downloaded. right?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So even if you use a bluetooth dongle GPS you still need to download maps. For instance google maps wont work because the maps arent downloaded. right?

Yea, thus why I am looking for like a TomTom GPS app or something similar with preloaded maps. I have the ability with my phone to tether to the ipad as well as to use the phone as a bluetooth GPS, so I CAN get google maps to work on the road with my wifi iPad, but its not ideal. I want a nice offline GPS program with turn by turn directions.

Most reactions

Latest posts