What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does it matter if you actually hold the top ( button ?) power thing until the red power off shows up, slide to power down, unhook the power OR double click the home button, X out all of the running programs and then turn it off by the home button? Also wonder if hooked to power all the time is good bad or irrelevant ? Thanks, Squib.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does not affect the battery health if you leave the iPad plugged in for extended periods,

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
It does not affect the battery health if you leave the iPad plugged in for extended periods,

Thanks, you seem to help a lot on this forum. Much appreciated! . Now I shall wait to hear about the different ways of shutting off the power. Thanks again Scifan57, Squib.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Holding the power button and the red slider is the only way to actually power the iPad off. Well, other than letting the battery run down. Other methods merely put the iPad to sleep, as you can tell by how quickly the screen lights up when you press the home button.

If the iPad does not show the Apple logo when starting, then it wasn't off.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Holding the power button and the red slider is the only way to actually power the iPad off. Well, other than letting the battery run down. Other methods merely put the iPad to sleep, as you can tell by how quickly the screen lights up when you press the home button.

If the iPad does not show the Apple logo when starting, then it wasn't off.

So the white apple shows up and that means it has been powered off, and if the green battery shows up that also means it is powered off? But if I double click the home button, get all the apps that are running to squiggle, then x them out, what is still using power?
I really appreciate your help understanding this because it seems so simple but I don't know what is running if I have x'ed out all the apps? Thanks so much tweppoet, you also are very helpful in all forums. Squib
Oh ya, does the iPad work slower the more apps you download?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually have 117 apps on my iPad 3, and it works as fast as in the beginning.

Same with my iPad 2. It has 63 apps, still not slower than at first.

Last edited:
OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
J. A. said:
I actually have 117 apps on my iPad 3, and it works as fast as in the beginning.

Same with my iPad 2. It has 63 apps, still not slower than at first.

Thanks, I wondered nrcause my iPad 2 has 100 apps and I probably could delete half of them and not notice. Should probably delete them anyway!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So the white apple shows up and that means it has been powered off, and if the green battery shows up that also means it is powered off? But if I double click the home button, get all the apps that are running to squiggle, then x them out, what is still using power?
I really appreciate your help understanding this because it seems so simple but I don't know what is running if I have x'ed out all the apps? Thanks so much tweppoet, you also are very helpful in all forums. Squib
Oh ya, does the iPad work slower the more apps you download?

The list in the multitask bar is just a list. It shows every app that you've ever run, unless you close them out manually. The fact that an app is in the list means only two things. One, you have run it. Two, the higher in the list the app is the more recently you've run it.

The more recent apps are probably in RAM. The iPad leaves apps frozen in RAM so that they can be switched back to quickly. When the iPad needs more RAM, it automatically clears the older apps from RAM.

When you restart or reset, all apps are cleared from RAM.

In most cases, apps frozen in RAM do nothing. They use no power and they take up no CPU (don't slow the iPad). The exception are those apps that have background tasks. There are seven types of background tasks allowed in iOS. The most common, and the ones you need to pay attention to are location services and background music.

It's pretty obvious when music is playing, so lets talk about location services. If an app is running location services in the background you will see an arrow icon to the left of your battery level indicator. The arrow points to the to the top right and has a divot out of the backside (to distinguish it from the background music icon that looks like a play icon.)

If these services are running, and you don't want them to, then you can eitehr go to the app and turn off the music or location tracking, or close the app out of the multitask bar manually.

Most other background tasks are time limited, like file downloads which only allows an app to continue downloading for 10 minutes after the app is closed). In general, they should have little affect on your iPad's performance.

Now, the other side of the argument.

Being a computer, the longer an iPad runs without being restarted the more errors accumulate. Errors in apps can be cleared out by removing the app from RAM, and starting it again. This is a good quick fix when an app starts behaving erratically, but you don't want to restart the iPad. iOS can also start having problems managing RAM. Clearing out the RAM by closing everything in the multitask bar will help, but a restart would be a cleaner solution. You should restart the iPad every now and then anyway. Once a week, or when you notice problems is a good idea.

Some people choose to clear our their multitask bars as a habit. There is nothing wrong with this, and it has some advantages. Depending on what apps are being run, the stability of those apps, and the limited resources of older iPads, it's not a bad idea. However a newer iPad running stable apps should rarely need anything but an occasional restart.

That said, if I have trouble with an app, I may choose to remove it from RAM rather than restart my iPad. I rarely bother to clean the entire multitask list. A restart takes less time, since my list gets quite long.

Fraser Speirs - Blog - Misconceptions About iOS Multitasking

Oh, the green battery just means the iPad is on, and charging. You see it on the lock screen when the iPad is charging. It is surprisingly hard to charge an iPad while it is off. Plugging it into power generally turns it on, unless the battery is very low.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
WOW! What great info for dummies like me! Thanks Twerppoet. I love learning this kind od stuff. This is my first apple device and being used to a tower, monitor, windows etc. was very familiar. Now with the iPad 2 it is so weird because I can't look inside of it, I didn't even know it had RAM and have no idea where or what is inside of it. Like is there a hard drive in there? Can I open window doc.s on apple iPad, I am not asking you to answer all of these questions. I would love to know where to find that info and if you know a site that explains all of the inside workings of an iPad 2 I would really appreciate that. You have already spent so much time giving me that extensive info about power, which I loved reading btw I don't want to impose any more on you and would love to know if there is a site I can go to. Or is this the right place to be asking these questions? Thanks,Squib.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just stick around and keep reading the forum. You'll find out just about every thing you could want to know about the iPad.

And when you have a question, feel free to ask.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Just stick around and keep reading the forum. You'll find out just about every thing you could want to know about the iPad.

And when you have a question, feel free to ask.

Thanks, I will! And also thanks for the blog - that was very interesting!

Most reactions

Latest posts