What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power pack for ipad(or phones)

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't give any specifics on what you actually purchased, but I assume you're discussing an external battery pack or 'power bank' for charging USB devices like tablets and mobile phones.

I took a long trip last year from Canada to South Africa and I was in the air for over 18 hours there and another 18 hours on the return.. None of the planes I was on had power at the seats, so in order to keep my iPad Air going so I could watch movies, and listen to my music, and read books for the duration, I bought a 14000 mAH power bank by an outfit called Genius:

It worked. I had plenty of juice for the trip and didn't have to hunt down a wall plug to charge the iPad at my layovers. The thing is capable of charging my iPad Air 1 to full from about 10%

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Until quite recently, I had only heard of Power Pack's but didn't know anything about them. However because I favoured buying a longer power charge cable than that which is issued, I did some research and found that for the same price (or thereabouts), a power pack might prove to be more useful, so I bought one...................

BOY, we've been discussing Battery Power Packs for a while on this forum - you must have been sleeping in a cave (like Rip van Winkle )- ;) - one of our members Donka has reviewed as least a few - look HERE1 and HERE2. Also, go to Amazon and enter 'iPad Battery Charger' in their search window and dozens of products will be displayed.

I've been using the Lumsing (11,000 mAh; 5 outlets from 0.5 to 2.1 v) shown below for over 2 years; more recently, I bought my wife the smaller Limefuel (15,000 mAh w/ 2 outlets for her iPad Mini & iPhone 6) - these work great on trips for charging in long car (or airplane) rides or if your electronics are locked up in a room or closet safe - I often recharge my iPad in that fashion.

Glad that you've discover these inexpensive power options - plus, even the smaller ones are able to provide a re-charge to several of your iDevices. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 10.34.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 11.38.46 AM.png

OP
I

islandman

BOY, we've been discussing Battery Power Packs for a while on this forum - you must have been sleeping in a cave (like Rip van Winkle )- ;) - one of our members Donka has reviewed as least a few - look HERE1 and HERE2. Also, go to Amazon and enter 'iPad Battery Charger' in their search window and dozens of products will be displayed.

I've been using the Lumsing (11,000 mAh; 5 outlets from 0.5 to 2.1 v) shown below for over 2 years; more recently, I bought my wife the smaller Limefuel (15,000 mAh w/ 2 outlets for her iPad Mini & iPhone 6) - these work great on trips for charging in long car (or airplane) rides or if your electronics are locked up in a room or closet safe - I often recharge my iPad in that fashion.

Glad that you've discover these inexpensive power options - plus, even the smaller ones are able to provide a re-charge to several of your iDevices. Dave :)
View attachment 63796 View attachment 63797

sorry about that, however I don't think it does any harm to revisit subjects because I am convinced in general, people joining don't make a point of reading everything.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
sorry about that, however I don't think it does any harm to revisit subjects because I am convinced in general, people joining don't make a point of reading everything.

No problem at all - my initial comments were simply 'tongue in cheek' - :)

But, for others who may want one of these battery packs, please provide some more description, e.g. brand/model, number of outputs & their individual amperage, and maximum mAh stored - upload some pics and/or provide a link that would help others. Thanks - Dave

OP
I

islandman

The difference is Dave, I'm old, so I'm entitled to repeat myself, ha ha

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The difference is Dave, I'm old, so I'm entitled to repeat myself, ha ha

Well, I'll be 69 y/o in 2 weeks, so not a 'spring chicken' myself - but my wife turned the same age in January, so I have 3 months to tell others that she 'robbed the cradle' - ;) Dave

JoseyWaless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
#17-003:: iPad4 charging with an RG1000 battery pack
/021317

WHAT:: I have an iPad4 and recently bought a Rugged Geek RG1000, which is primarily designed to be a car jump starter, which it does very well. The base capacity is 10,500 mAh at 3.7V or ~39Wh, It has two USB 3.1 charging ports and a computer charging port which comes w various adapters plugs to fit most devices. The iPad4 battery capacity is specified at 42.5 Wh or 11,560 mAh @ 3.7V
The 2 USB ports are rated for 2.1A, but will automatically adjust down to 1A if device so demands like an iPhone). This is a well designed and quality product in all respects.

Rugged Geek - Rugged products for the Geek in all of us.

ISSUE:: The problem is, despite trying various cables and configurations, the RG1000 will NOT charge at max 2.1A rate and stays at 1A (per unit display). This means it will charge an iPad, albeit very slowly IFF you're NOT using it. If you ARE using it, the iPad charge level will slowly erode and not increase charge level until you stop using it as described above.

iPhone7: 1,960 mAh battery, 7.2 Wh The RG1000 had no problem charging the iPhone7, which only requires a min 1A for fast charge mode; though it apparently will accept up to a 12W/2.4A charge rate from what I've read but I haven't tested this myself,

DISCUSSION:: : I see a number of users have posted reviews of various products with anecdotal information, but I may've missed specific information/data verifying the Battery Packs are indeed charging in "fast charge" mode 2.1-2.4A mode.

My cummunications w Rugged Geek support (BTW-VERY responsive to queries or problems) suggest their belief is that Apple products can be finicky about batter pack compatibility. While it is well known Apple is protective of its tech, this issue goes against my engineering sensibility. Plus, i see many products professing iPad compatibility which indicates to me they must be capable of charging at fast rates w a battery pack. I believe there is some design issue precluding the RG from charging at max rate and they've instructed support staff to blame it on Apple.

Q: looking for any users with specific verification their battery packs (BP) are "fast charging" their iPads with the BP they have.

Thx, Josey

Last edited:

Most reactions