1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

power output 5V - 1A vs 2A vs 2.1A

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by mesmerized, Jul 13, 2013.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Dear Users, I don't know if this is the right section for such kind of question but... Is there a big difference between the 2A and 2.1A power output? Naturally, the higher the number, the faster the charging should go. Can Ipad mini take 2.1A? Would it make a big difference to use a 2.1A charger instead of a 2A one? Thanks
  2. Frankmezz

Frankmezz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The rating on the charger is what the charge CAN output. The thing you are charging will take as much as it can up to a limit that varies. Think of it like putting a 150 watt light bulb in a lamp. it still works just as well as a 75 watt bulb only brighter (draws more current), but if you put in a bulb that needs a higher current and/or a lot a amps, it will not work (like trying to run an air conditioner on a 12 volt power inverter). So if you get a 500 MA (1/2 an amp) your unit may not charge at all. its just not enough oomph to get the juice pushed into the battery charged (or it would take a very long time, which is some cases can be better for the battery).
  3. mesmerized

mesmerized iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm not sure if I got everything right... Would you suggest then to charge my ipad mini with the 1A output or 2A?

Is there a big difference between 2A and 2.1A?
  4. sliceoflife

sliceoflife iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    He means that if the charger outputs up to 2.1 amp, but your device only needs 2 amp, it will only draw 2 amp so it is safe to use. In other words, you should be safe with the 2.1 amp charger. The 1 amp charger will likely not be enough to charge your iPad.
  5. mesmerized

mesmerized iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Are you serious? I've been charging my Mini with 1A charger all the time... Have I possibly harmed the battery in any way?

EDIT: Where can I check if Mini can draw 1A or 2A?
  6. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +785 / 0
    Hi Mesmerized - well, you're getting really over-concerned here - take a 'deep breath' and relax, please - :D

Apple iDevices come w/ chargers rated by power, i.e. wattage, usually 5 or 10 watts (a watt is amp x voltage) - the two usually offered are 5 watts (1 amp x 5 volts) or 10 watts (2 amps x 5 volts) - e.g. the iPod and iPhone are supplied w/ 5 watt chargers, while most of the iPads come w/ a 10 watt charger, such as my iPad 2 - now the iPad Mini is shipped w/ a 5 watt charger, however, the device can be charged w/ a 10 watt power supply, the advantage is a much faster charge (the device/battery are constructed so damage despite the wattage will NOT occur) - SO, you can use either a 1 amp or 2 amp charger w/ your iPad Mini (I charge my wife's Mini w/ a 10 watt charger when 'on the road') - finally 2 vs. 2.1 amps is completely unimportant - BOTTOM line, stop worrying about harming your battery - basically not possible w/ the standard wattage chargers (or OEM offerings of similar wattage) offered by Apple - Dave :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +596 / 0
    I learned something tonight. Thanks G-Man. :)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF