What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power for an iPad while on a 5 hour flight

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I will be on a flight from Phoenix to Maui this fall and I want to continue to use my iPad on the duration of the flight. We will also be flying from another city to Phoenix to start the trip. I just have a very strong feeling my iPad will die before reaching the gorgeous island of Maui, and want to ask if there is any type of continual power source so my iPad won't die on the flights?

I've seen some portable power supplies, but don't they just charge an iPad, after the iPad power has died? Is there something for continual power?

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you start the flight with the iPad fully charged it has a very good chance of lasting the entire flight. You should get at least 8 hours of normal usage on an iPad (movies, music, viewing, reading). Graphics intensive games can drain the iPad quickly. Turning the screen brightness down makes a big difference too. Unless the flight offers in-flight internet, you can save a bit more battery by switching to Airplane mode.

While most external power packs advertise as chargers, you can almost always run the iPad. They often don't have enough current to charge the iPad while it's active, but they will prevent you from using up much of the internal battery.

Be sure to get one that specifically says it's for an iPad. Many of the external packs are meant for smaller devices and won't have the capacity to charge an iPad.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I must be a "power" user on my iPad when I'm on a plane.....the longest flight I've been on so far is 3 hours and that dropped it from fully charged down to almost 30%......maybe it is the games I'm playing on it, plus listening to music while playing the games?

Do you happen to have any specific brands of chargers you would recommend?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I must be a "power" user on my iPad when I'm on a plane.....the longest flight I've been on so far is 3 hours and that dropped it from fully charged down to almost 30%......maybe it is the games I'm playing on it, plus listening to music while playing the games?

Do you happen to have any specific brands of chargers you would recommend?

Well, from your description above, maybe just listening to music or reading a book on the iPad would help - ;) You seem to be 'battery intensive' when multi-tasking on the iPad.

For myself (iPad 2 & wife w/ iPad Mini), I've been using the Lumsing product below - charges via a USB connection and provides enough power to backup 'about' two devices - of the inputs shown on the side, one is for 2 amps which works w/ the iPad. Now, I'm not sure which models are now available (I've owned this one for about 2 years and take it on all of our trips - need to charge iPads & an iPod). There are probably other similar brands/models, so do some Amazon searching & googling - I'm sure that you will find a solution. Dave :)

lumsing-11000mah-external-charger-with-5xusb-ports.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't recommend any specific brands myself. I don't use them, and I've got a terrible memory when it comes to what other's have recommended. All I can say is that more battery is better, up to the point where it's too bulky to cary comfortable, and that like giradmans' suggestion it should have at least one 2 amp port, or say it's specifically made for iPads.

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try looking at zagg or mophie. I believe they both offer a portable ipad charging solution.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also contact the airline and ask if they offer USB and power outlets for each seat. A number of airlines are starting to do this, especially on their longer flights. I just got back from an overseas flight and had my iPad plugged in to the USB socket the whole time I was using it and there was enough power to keep the charge level at 100%.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the brand names, I'll go look right now.

Hi again - I'm a member of the Mac-Forums and a thread was posted w/ a link selling a battery backup for $35 (may not be on sale anymore but check HERE) - has 2 outputs, including a 2.1A which will charge an iPad - I ordered one to have a 'spare' for my wife. Dave :)

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Anker is a brand you can find on amazon. They make a million different types if portable chargers. I have several of their products and they are good to go. I use the 12000 mah battery pack to charge my ipad. It's about 3x4x1 inches and light weight. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check Delta or United's websites for seats with power. One of these days I'm going to take the inflight magazine home which lists which seats have what. I want to say anything A320 and up (and newer) is suppose to have USB power in each seat.

Most reactions

Latest posts