What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power cord?

DICKNPHYL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone found a good 6 foot power adaptor cord that maybe winds up into a holder. I know Applle has a 6 foot cord-$ 29.00- the cords that come w/iPad 2 seem to be just to short for my use and liking.
DICKSTER------

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, if you need extra length, I guess that you could buy a longer cord to suit your needs? Or purchase an extension USB cord as shown below, plenty are available online - you just need to compare the costs of one option vs. the other - good luck in your choices - :)

usbextcable.jpg

OP
DICKNPHYL

DICKNPHYL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the 6 ft. Power adaptor cord from "apple". I just figure it's simpler that way and I know it will work, even though I wanted to see if there was a windup type of gizmo.
Thanks for the assist !
DICKSTER-----

Padeasel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thoughts on extending the length of the charging cord

First consider that the iPad will last nearly 10 hours once fully charged. Second, it is my understanding that the battery life will be longer if it is allowed to discharge nearly fully before recharging as opposed to needlessly plugging in the charging cable.

I recommend finding a convenient charging location (mine is my night table beside my bed) and use that for overnight charging. I use my iPad very much and never need to recharge it during the day. If you need an extension for your charging location, get a 110v or 220v extension cord. This only needs to be an inexpensive light duty cord. When I travel, I always cary an additional 110v extension cord to allow me to recharge my iPad as well as other devices. I also believe that this set-up will recharge an iPad quicker than a potentially lossy USB extension cable. Visit our website and click in the link "laying in bed" and see the iPad in its charging location.

cbrzyski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! Just got my iPad 2 and the battery seems to need to be charged more then most are saying. What am I doing wrong?

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a New Trent back-up battery pack for long flights but I seriously doubt I'll need it. I'm on day three of casual use and never shut it completely off, and it still has 30% left. Oh well, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Back on point, I'd rather run a cheap-o wall extension cord rather than adding another specialty cable to my collection. Also, consider the Apple USB extension cable so as to get better use for your money.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
cbrzyski said:
Help! Just got my iPad 2 and the battery seems to need to be charged more then most are saying. What am I doing wrong?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You should start a new thread for your question, rather than post in another's thread with a different issue - good luck with your problem; and please explain your situation more specifically - thanks.

Trish634

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

I am new to these forums. I have an iPad, and I love it! The only thing is that the battery needs charged often. I just downloaded iOS5.0.1 as it is supposed to correct this. Coincidentally I got the 10W USB Power Adapter today. I like being able to be plugged in while I'm using the iPad, so I can recharge it now, and then not deplete the battery when I am online.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First consider that the iPad will last nearly 10 hours once fully charged. Second, it is my understanding that the battery life will be longer if it is allowed to discharge nearly fully before recharging as opposed to needlessly plugging in the charging cable.

This is a common misconception. You're not alone. However, the battery "life" (meaning either the time it takes a battery to fully discharge OR the life span of a battery before replacement) is not affected by fully discharging the battery. That used to be the case with earlier types of batteries but with lithium ion batteries such as the one included in the iPad "topping off" a battery or leaving it plugged in has no effect on the battery.

What IS true is that fully discharging the battery periodically enables the battery MONITOR to more accurately estimate the remaining power of the battery at any point in time. That's why Apple recommends that the battery be fully discharged about once a month. If you don't have a life and want to spend your time investigating the matter in more depth, you can find extensive discussions of such issues through judicious use of google. Try "battery university." :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trish634 said:
Hi!

I am new to these forums. I have an iPad, and I love it! The only thing is that the battery needs charged often. I just downloaded iOS5.0.1 as it is supposed to correct this. Coincidentally I got the 10W USB Power Adapter today. I like being able to be plugged in while I'm using the iPad, so I can recharge it now, and then not deplete the battery when I am online.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

There have been a few battery problems, there are threads on this issue.

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Most reactions