What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential Alternate Uses

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so I ordered my 64GB iPad and I am excited about it's immediate potential, but I started thinking about it's overall potential as a companion device.

For starters, gaming paired with iPhones/iPod Touch.

The iPad would make a great playing field! Think about it.

Scrabble:
iPhones/Touches for each players tiles, the iPad as the board!

Poker:
Cards on handheld, iPad as table!

Football:
Plays on handheld/ Touch controller, game on iPad.

Any game!
iPhone or Touch as controller!!

Somebody has to have thought of this!!

Professinal editing:
iPad as an edit controller! Shuttle control, audio faders, color wheels, vector scopes.

Recording:
iPad as mixing board and even midi instruments!

This device has some ridiculous potential to be paired with a desktop or an iPhone/Touch.

I can't be the first to think of this....

Anyone else have any ideas on this??

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about a device that you set down beside whatever computer you are at and it accesses that computer wirelessly so you have full access to whatever capabilities that computer offers you and all your files from your device. You pick up your device and go home and set it beside your iMac and it automatically opens to the document your were working on and you finish the sentence you started on the previous computer; and does it as fast as a MacBook wakes from sleep.

Not asking too much is it??

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
really noone else has anything else to say on this subject? I think its pretty fascinating actually

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about a device that you set down beside whatever computer you are at and it accesses that computer wirelessly so you have full access to whatever capabilities that computer offers you and all your files from your device. You pick up your device and go home and set it beside your iMac and it automatically opens to the document your were working on and you finish the sentence you started on the previous computer; and does it as fast as a MacBook wakes from sleep.

That's called working on a Flash-USB drive and having both computes in standby mode so they don't have to boot. :p

Gentlefury, if you go looking through out this forum you'll find many different uses discused, and the general consensious that there are many possible uses we just don't see yet, and will like slap our foreheads with how obvious they they should have been.

Personally I'm very interested in the "remote screen" uses through VNC or the like. Being able to remotely acess and control my computers from my iPod Touch has been a very nice bonus. To have the similar but likely faster option on a 10" screen would be even nicer. I hope I can use it say use Final Cut(unlikely for several reasons) or SketchUp while sitting in the living room instead of huddled infront of my tower.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That would be cool.

I wish that there was a way via wifi to interface with a tv. I could project pictures or whatever. It could be a box that would easily be brought anywhere. Is there such a device?

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That would be cool.

I wish that there was a way via wifi to interface with a tv. I could project pictures or whatever. It could be a box that would easily be brought anywhere. Is there such a device?

Slingbox I have one it's great.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There is. Check out the Apple TV. It's very compact and I imagine it would travel easily, but it's more for use in your home entertainment center. I use mine to watch movies and listen to music over my entertainment system. I can transfer movies, photos, music to it by syncing to iTunes over wifi. I also have it synced with iPhoto and MobileMe, so I can also do slideshows of my photos on my HDTV. I absolutely love my AppleTV.

Last edited:

A$$Dan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how the slingbox app will look on the iPad -- It is decent on the iPhone

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how the slingbox app will look on the iPad -- It is decent on the iPhone

Hopefully they will make a new version that replicated the desktop version with the remote and guide of the browser version.

Most reactions

Latest posts