What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to Use Pc with Webcam and view via ipod?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering if any apps would be able to Link up and view a Pc with Webcam and view the webcam remotely via the Ipad? Splashtop maybe?

Absolutely - Splashtop works just fine. I use it with my Vaio which has an in-built webcam and I can 'see' the image with no problems from my iPad.

The new release of Splashtop (just today) now enables (as an experimental feature) you to connect to your PC not just on a local network (as it used to before) but now across the Internet.

Tim

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant Tim, Thanks. Something to play around with tonight and tomorrow when I get in work. Be great (But sad) to see what the dog gets up too at home whilst I'm at work :) I'm sad I know.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a free, limited time version (5 minutes viewing time) that's great to start off with. You need to install a small app on your PC to 'link' with Splashtop but that's a free download from the Developer's website. Setting it up on your local network is a breeze - very straightforward indeed - I've yet to try the new experimental feature to connect across the Internet. They are stressing in the release today that it is experimental.

Tim

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, downloaded the Pc desktop app last night as well. 5 Mins is ok to start with. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, downloaded the Pc desktop app last night as well. 5 Mins is ok to start with. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

The new 'experimental' feature was only released this morning, so check if they've included that in the free version. See if there's an upgrade. If there is, upgrade before you start playing. The feature is in the Settings, Experimental Features window. You need to have a gmail account for it to work, for some unknown reason....

Tim

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Be great (But sad) to see what the dog gets up too at home whilst I'm at work"

Watching TV with his mates, drinking your beer, surfing the net for.....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah I see. Thanks Tim I'll set a gmail account up then.

OK - further update. The remote feature works OK after a fitful start.

Couple of things. You need the latest version of the desktop client too and you need to log in to your gmail account from the desktop client as well as the iPad client - it's in Settings, Experimental Features.

The first few attempts it would connect and then say 'Lost connection' and couldn't complete. The program would hang at that point and I've have to use the Home button to return to the Home screen, then double-tap the Home button to open up the multi-task bar and close the app. Then double-tap the Home button to close the multi-task bar then relaunch the app.

After a couple of attempts it was up and running - from my iPad over 3G to my Sony Vaio PC on my home network via a Linksys ADSL WiFi router. Pretty cool stuff!! Now I can spy on my wife when I'm at work - and see what she gets up to all day.....

Tim

Preacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using an app called MyWebCam and you can watch your PC Webcam until the battery dies.. you do have to pay a little, but it works. There is about a 3-second delay and it isn't the smoothest video I have seen (Splashtop is smoother) but it is a dedicated cam app.

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Be great (But sad) to see what the dog gets up too at home whilst I'm at work"

Watching TV with his mates, drinking your beer, surfing the net for.....

Well, That's it..You never know do you :D Nah, just interested to see if it works and can spy on them at home. Like Tim I can spy on the missus. Says she hasn't stopped doing housework all day but I can maybe catch her out sitting on her bum or better still she what she really gets up too ;) Only joking, I wouldn't spy on her..Honest

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update, All works a treat through 3g and with todays update. Just need a better quality webcam as the one I'm using is pretty cheap and old, But soo impressed :D

webranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, Splashtop is cool. If you're not looking for a full blown remote desktop, I use a cloud service called Camcloud. They have free plans and whatnot, it's pretty easy to use. good luck. wr.

Most reactions