What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Hardware Problem with iPad3

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have a possible hardware problem with my iPad 3. One moment I was playing a game, turned the iPad off for a moment and after that cannot turn it on. Have already tried the hold power button down / hold power + home down and various combinations of the above.

I will be bringing it to a iPad repair shop for a diagnostic.

The most favourable outcome would be that the shop would be able to repair/replace the offending part and life goes on. However, what I wanted to ask is if the offending part is something critical or replacement of which would wipe out my existing data. I have a jail-broken iPad 3 on IOS 5.1.1.

(a) If existing data is wiped out but the IOS that remains is still 5.1.1, would I be able to restore from backup? I had the impression that this may not be possible and that I can only restore to the latest IOS. Is that correct, or did I read something wrong?

(b) What kinds of repair would wipe out existing data? Would the jailbreak also be wiped out in the process or only just data?

(c) If in the event my iPad 3 is not repairable, would buying a second hand iPad 3 with IOS 5.1.1 face the same issue as (a)? ie I will not be able to restore. Or is it such that if the second hand iPad 3 is already jailbroken when I buy it, I can restore from backup?

Any help on the above would be welcome.

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you don't bring it to an Apple store if it's jailbroken- they can easily detect jailbroken iOS and will most likely refuse to service it because jailbreaking voids the warranty.

Anyways, I don't think you need to worry about app data. If I'm not mistaken, most app data is backed up in the cloud and/or on your computer when your device gets backed up.

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I w concerned with whether the data can even be restored on 5.1.1 since that is no longer signed. It is possible that the repair shop (non-apple) may even find the motherboard or something is damaged.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A) By default, you can restore your backup only to an iOS that's equal to or above the iOS that the backup was made from, so iOS 5.1.1 and above, you can restore that backup. For 5.0-5.1, you'd have to do a bit more work but it can be done.

B) Usually only core system issues. Hardware issues generally does not require a restore to fix. The only time I'd say that you'll need to in conjunction with a hardware fix, would be if it was a bootloader issue possibly.

C) If you were to get your hands on another 5.1.1 iPad 3, you can restore the backup. But, I'm pretty confident that you won't find an iOS 5 jailbroken iPad on the market. You'd have a better time finding iOS 6 Evasi0n jailbroken iPads, which can still use the same backup that you've made.

Most reactions

Latest posts