What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POP3 Email won't delete from server

bobmcc81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a single POP3 account on my ipad but even though I have the ipad configured to:

Delete from server: When removed from inbox

When I delete a junk mail from my iPad my desktop PC still retrieves it on the next send and receive. I thought that setting would kill it from the mail server. Unfortunatel I don'y have an IMAP option.

I did a searched and found a similar thread back in November but there was no resolution.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It may be that you are not giving the iPad enough time to contact your server and "tell" it that you have deleted the e-mail (s) from the server.

What are your settings for your POP mail account? Because I have a POP account that does delete mail from the server (but, then again, I don't use it anywhere else but on the iPad, so I don't know how fast it deletes). I can tell you that I've got my settings to "Fetch" manually (I don't have Push set up). Maybe that'll make a difference?

Try this: Once you've deleted mail, close your Mail app and then close it from the multitasker bar. Then, reopen it. That'll make it reload - which should make it talk to the server. When it does, it should tell it the mail is now gone.

I'm just kind of throwing things at your problem to see if anything sticks. Does any of this sound like it might work ... or does work? Cause, as I said, mine works fine - I know because I go in every now and then via the web and my POP mail is empty, both the inbox and the deleted items.

Marilyn

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that there may be a update required at the server end. There was a similar thread a month or so ago but I can't find it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the email just is not updating quickly, as Marilyn suggests, then tapping the update icon at the bottom of the mail list may work just as well as closing and reopening Mail.

I just read a review on ibisMail that made me think it might be the better choice for POP accounts. It is more configurable and will let you create local folders for your email. If you try it out and like it, let us know.

OP
B

bobmcc81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes yes Yes Marilyn nailed it. Thank you so much. I deleted the msg from the ipad then tap the inbox icon again for it to talk to the server and viola just how it shoudl work!...Thanks for a great community of learning.

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts