Poor video performance

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Mike245, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Mike245

Mike245
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I would like to know if what I am experiencing has a solution through the Ipad setup. I have read all of the comments regarding watching videos on the Ipad but I cannot seem to get most videos (Youtube, Itunes, etc.) to run without stopping, jerking, etc. I can't even get video to spool normally so I can watch more than a minute or so. I have looked at settings, read everything I can on the forum and finally, I'm swallowing my pride and asking for help.

My wifi has an average 1.2M download and .3M upload connection speed through DSL on ATT, 64G-3G Ipad and plenty of space remaining. I know my speed is pitiful but it's what I have to live with. It seems good enough on the PC, just not on the Ipad on wifi. I would like to enjoy video on this device.

Before I go off and bang my head against the wall, is there something I am missing about video streaming on the Ipad or am I the only one this happens too?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. wrecklass

wrecklass
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Video downloaded to the iPad plays slow too? Or just streaming. What router do you use? I watch Netflix daily on the iPad without issue.

3. Mike245

Mike245
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm downloading a TV show right now to answer the 1st question (was always hesitant due to Youtube videos, etc.) and definately streaming is too slow. I have a 3Wire ATT DSL model. What speed is normal for most? Maybe I'm just too slow for practical streaming.

4. HUNTER1

HUNTER1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Before I change router I could not even play you tube without stopping very, frustrating and I was using old router. Now I changed router to net gear wndr 3700 and up my Internet speed to 25 Mbps and the videos of any kind opens almost instantly without interruption. I pay a little more but it's worth it. On top of that downloading any file and the speed on all our computers is so fast, browsing the internet is much more enjoyable.
    I think it's about the speed with the correct router.

5. Mike245

Mike245
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, the downloaded video plays just fine. The router may or may not make a difference, but it appears my problem is simply pitiful speed from ATT (1.3Mps and .3Mps). When you say 25Mps it makes me cringe. I can't believe how inadequate ATT is in the non-major metro areas.

I guess I'll have to live with it until I can get faster speeds. Thanks for the replies.

6. peled

peled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    1.2M on download is can hardly be considered as proper Internet any more.
    It used to be fine for text and low res Pictures.

Any way it is not only your Internet speed. I found out, that some times, a movie that runs smoothly on my Lap-Top, is jerking on the iPAD. and I recall others on the forum had the same experience .

7. Mike245

Mike245
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree about the speed...really gets me! However; you would think that I would be able to spool better on a 64G unit. I can't really even spool a Youtube video many times, it just sits there. With that much available space (what 50 or so gigs?) at any given time I should be able to stay ahead, but it normally won't. It does a great job on the movie I downloaded though, even if it took 50+ min to download!

8. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    ive havent checked out youtube yet, but i have wifi only and at home with ipad running off my wireless linksys wrt54g dsl through verizon, and im not very impressed with the pic quality like with the abc app, and its keeps stopping to buffer, what causes the buffer and how can you stop it or make it better

9. freebirdforever

freebirdforever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Theres really nothing you can do guys. If your internet is shit, your internet is shit. Sorry if I offended anyone, but thats just the nature of the beast. Especially if you use Verizons mifi or mobile web services. (3G or 4G)

10. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    well damn......