What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Podcasts 6.1 iPad2

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so I never made the connection when I saw the podcast icon in the app drawer that podcasts had been eviscerated from iTunes. I just wanted to say this since I didn't find it in a search. I'm assuming I'm gonna have to boot my machine, which I was avoiding, to pull out my other podcasts by checking some dang box. I'm not impressed with the apple gawds on this one.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe you need to use the dedicated Podcast app to download podcasts now, directly to your iPad.

I prefer to use iTunes on my PC, and just sync new podcasts to my phone or iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Podcasts were removed from the Music app (used to be the iPod app) and iTunes App way back in iOS 5.0. So it's been this way for over a year. And yes, people complained about it then too.

Heavy podcast users seem to prefer third party apps over Apple's Podcast app.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Podcasts were removed from the Music app (used to be the iPod app) and iTunes App way back in iOS 5.0. So it's been this way for over a year. And yes, people complained about it then too.

Heavy podcast users seem to prefer third party apps over Apple's Podcast app.

You can still use the Music or Video apps for the playback of Audio/Video Podcasts. I do that because the podcast app was hideous! I can because my PC does the downloading and I only sync unplaced podcasts to my devices, and in the case of video podcasts, only the oldest 5 unplayed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can still use the Music or Video apps for the playback of Audio/Video Podcasts. I do that because the podcast app was hideous! I can because my PC does the downloading and I only sync unplaced podcasts to my devices, and in the case of video podcasts, only the oldest 5 unplayed.

You do this directly from iTunes? And with iOS 5.0 or newer?

Maybe downloading the Podcast app disables it, because the only way I can do this is by changing the kind of the video or audio track. But I admit I haven't tried for some time.

BTW, the Podcast app, while still no great shakes, is much better than when it first came out.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You do this directly from iTunes? And with iOS 5.0 or newer?

Maybe downloading the Podcast app disables it, because the only way I can do this is by changing the kind of the video or audio track. But I admit I haven't tried for some time.

BTW, the Podcast app, while still no great shakes, is much better than when it first came out.

Yep, on iOS 6.1

I vaguely remember when I had the podcast app installed, I jumped back to Music to playback my audio podcasts on my iPhone. If you tap the More button and then edit, you may see podcasts as an option. I recall having to do that to get Podcasts to show up ( again, on my iPhone). You know what, I cannot see podcasts as an option on my iPad. Maybe because I have not synced any from iTunes. Will check that out when i get home later.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've had the iTunes sync off for a long time, but I'm thinking you are right. You've been given two choices. You can either subscribe and manage your podcasts on the device, using the Podcast app, or other third party app; or you can subscribe and manage them on iTunes and sync. Or possibly both.

After you jogged my memory, I seem to remember deciding I wanted it all in one place, and I wanted to be able to find and listen to new podcasts on the road, if needed; so I ditched the iTunes model and put up with the less than perfect Podcast app.

I can see why Apple did it, more or less. It can be very hard to keep thinks synced when you can make changes from more than one place, and can't guarantee connectivity when the changes are made.

Still, we can hope it gets better. It usually does, though with Apple you're never certain that what you think is better is what they will do. Sometimes that's wonderful, and sometimes it is frustrating. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Batting zero here.

I decided to test things, so I turned podcast syncing back on in iTunes and selected some podcasts to sync. Did this on both the iPhone and iPad. The podcasts showed up in the Podcast app, with no sign of it in Music.

"Huh?" I thought. Then realized I'd already subscribed to that same podcast in the Podcast app, mike the test kind of null.

Back to iTunes, find some new podcasts, download, sync, and there they are; in the Podcast app. Along with all the other podcasts I subscribe to. Still nothing to be found in Music.

So, assuming you are seeing podcasts in the Music app, I''m back to the original theory. When you install Podcast, it changes the behavior of Music so that podcasts don't show up there.

I'm unwilling to delete the Podcast app and lose all my current subscriptions in order to find out; so unless you're feeling more adventurous I guess the guess will have to stand. ;)

OP
yellowhorse

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm gonna try that. Like I said I didn't want to boot the beast. And yah I guess I haven't used podcasts on iPad in a long time. Busted. But normally I don't have a mental block to booting up. I just wanted seamless integration at the touch of a hand. I wanted it my way. Lol

Most reactions

Latest posts