What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pocket informant question

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a backup of pocket informant in my dropbox but I can't work out how to restore it. Anyone know? Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not restored from DropBox but I always email my PI backups to myself. When I see them as an attachment, if I press and hold the attachment it gives me the option of 'Open In' PI. That backup is then imported into the regular PI backup list and I can restore PI from the backup in the restore list.

I've only ever had to use it once - I screwed up but had luckily just made a backup - and it worked perfectly!!

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I did what Tim did but when I screwed up, I emailed them on a Sunday and it was answered an hour or two later. These guys really care about their app and any problems will be answered. I've had 2 problems and both were addressed quickly. They were both me, I'm afraid, I make mistakes and wipe out things I shouldn't!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the joys of using PI is all the 'hidden' features. Another is the way you can configure the Notification sound. Other iPad users always are complaining that they can't change the notification sound - say for Mail etc - but PI can change it to virtually anything you want it to be. I love the highly configurable recurring appointments/alarms etc. You have meetings on the second and last Thursday of every third month - no problem. In fact, I've never been able to find a recurring appointment that PI couldn't handle. Yes - it's not cheap - but you get a great quality product and a very comprehensive User Manual - which you can always download free from the Developer's website.

Tim

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have restored the backup and although I have still lost some data, it isn't as bad as before.

I must backup more regularly! Can you set PI to backup automatically?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have restored the backup and although I have still lost some data, it isn't as bad as before.

I must backup more regularly! Can you set PI to backup automatically?

It says 'Pocket Informant makes automatic backups of its databased' - but I've never discovered where they are or how they are controlled. Synch operations are extensively discussed in the User Manual, but the section on backing up is very sketchy. I've only ever been able to see the manual backups...maybe it's one of those exciting 'hidden features'!!

Tim

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use pocket informant on the iPad, iPhones, and MacBook plus sync with google.

I suggest is set up google as the main database calendar then I'd something goes wring you can re sync

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does iTunes backup PI? I am 'thinking' of getting PI because I am tired of jumping from calendar to task apps then back again. I need one app for everything and I understand that when the new PI comes out they are going to have a notes section. That is the one thing that is holding me back from getting PI is the notes. I use SlimTaks and GoTask where I can drag my list items to another position. I type everything up then rearrange them. Don't think PI can do that in Tasks in PI can do that. Any idea if PI can do that? Thank you!:)

Synnerg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:

I suggest is set up google as the main database calendar then I'd something goes wring you can re sync

I use google calendar as the hub and don't worry about backups because if it's lost on the iPad I can always pull it from google and the trifecta with the iPhone allows me the luxury not to care if I have to reinstall the app ever since I basically have 3 redundant backups that all sync in a matter of seconds

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

applerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PI on MacBook?

Very keen to hear how you can get PI running as an app on the MacBook.
Can't find it in the (desktop/macbook) app store.

I LOVED PI on my iPad, but now I have MacBookPro for work, I can't access tasks. Kinda makes it valuable only as a synced calendar, and honestly makes the iPad less worthwhile too -- thinking of selling it.

Really want to continue using PI, cos it was such a great, helpful organizer!

Any tips/clues welcome.
Thanks

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use PI and SM and the I still can't make up my mind which one I want to really use. I put my data in both and will keep doing so until I figure out which is the best for me. I use a regular calendar, lol yes use a real pencil to make dates, as my back up. I have google but not sure if that is the way I want to go. My husband has all the necessary dates in his laptop so he is my backup for now. :)

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried or have an opinion on Organizer HD? Just came out on June 17th. I have PI and SM but still looking for THAT special organizer. Thanks!:)

Most reactions