Pocket Informant HD

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Wamba, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Wamba

Wamba iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad 2 and forum newb...

I manage multiple (6) Outlook calendars on my PC desktop. I really need to view and manage all 6 calendars from my iPad 2. Will Pocket Informant HD let me accomplish this task? or do I need another solution?

Thanks in advance.

2. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    I don't know the answer to your question however, both Pocket Informant and Smart Pad have contact details on their websites and I have found them both very quick to respond to queries......try emailing both of them to see what they can do for you.

The Archangel

3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    I looked at several apps for this and, in the end, chose Pocket Informant HD.

I read that Pocket Informant was buggy but, in my (admittedly) limited experience, I’ve found no problems at all. It has a very nice user interface that's almost infinitely configurable - a complaint that many Forum members make about the iPad’s native ‘Calendar’ app. So you can choose how tasks, events, projects, appointments are colour coded and there is a wide choice of notifications and alarms - so, for example, you can have different alarm sounds for different categories of notifications.

Pocket Informant ‘sits on top’ of the iPad's native ‘Calendar’ app and (optionally) imports all entries that it finds there. They can be colour coded so they can be distinguished from entries made in Pocket Informant itself.

This is important because many other iPad apps use the native ‘Calendar’ app as the default place to put events, invitations etc. So, for example, if you are invited to a meeting by email and you receive that invitation in the iPad’s native ‘Mail’ app, that app can automatically (and quite cleverly) insert that invitation into the default calendar app. Without that integration between the native app and Pocket Informant, you'd have to enter those invitations all over again.

Pocket Informant has lots of ‘hidden’ features too. One of the reviewers remarked that part of the ‘fun’ of using Pocket Informant was discovering them!! The display is infinitely configurable - day, week, month, year at a time. Tasks, events, overdue tasks, projects, projects in progress etc etc all can be optionally displayed on the main calendar. Projects and tasks can have infinitely nested sub-tasks and projects - these can cleverly be integrated with GPS - so, say you needed to purchase some goods from the hardware store. Put that in a To-Do list and link it to the location of the hardware store using the iPad’s native ‘Maps’ app. Next time you’re driving past the hardware store, up pops the notification (‘Remember to purchase some 2â€x4†timber’).

Repeating events are very flexible too, with the ‘custom’ mode being infinitely (I keep using that word!) configurable. So, meetings that occur on the last Thursday and first Monday of every other month - no problem.

It can sync with external calendars - Google for example - and back-up is cool, it creates a backup file that you can email to yourself for safe keeping. If you lose your iPad or all your data is corrupted, that backup can be imported back into Pocket Informant with a single click.

You can create multiple diaries within Pocket Informant - say ‘Work’, ‘Family’, ‘Golf Club’ etc and have their entries optionally displayed on the main screen or restricted to the display of the individual diary. So it’s easy to check if there’s a clash between the golf tournament and your wife's birthday - and hide it if there is......

If you surf to the developer’s web-site, you can download for free a very comprehensive User Manual that will show you in detail what Pocket Informant can do.

The developers are constantly updating the program - always a good sign in my view.

As I said at the beginning, perhaps I'm not a particularly demanding user, but I’ve had no stability problems at all. I should add the usual disclaimer that I have no contact or other relationship with the developers of Pocket Informant other than being a very satisfied customer.

Tim
    Scotland

4. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Pocket Informant is about as good as it gets, it syncs several of my calendars flawlessly, and is solid overall. Unfortunately, I don't use Outlook and cannot comment on how well they handle it there. My experience with their customer service is that they answer after a couple of days. Good Luck!

5. PatriciaF

PatriciaF iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have both PI and SP. I prefer SP because it's easier for me to use. I asked for a refund for PI and got it but so far my credit statement isn't in yet so I have no way of knowing if Apple honored my wish. Both are great and I think it's a personal preference as to what you feel comfortable with. PI seems more of a business app and SP is somewhere inbetween. Right now I'm looking for someone who uses or knows about AirPrint8.

6. wag

wag iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i have pi and sp. by far pi is better. easier to navigate, get while on sale. my sp crashes all the time wnd is clunky. imo.

7. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, on sale for the Fourth of July weekend I believe. Even more significant when one considers it is not a universal app (but available for both iPhone and iPad).

8. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    I have both too. I use Smart Pad mostly now, having used it for a couple of months at home and work, using it constantly I have not found that it crashes at all and certainly isn't clunky. The latest update just made it even better!

The Archangel

9. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +346 / 0
    I have to be honest but my pi is freezing a lot lately! Don't know why! I have to restart (press button until it closes, then double hold buttons) it every time it freezes. I've had pi on my iPhone and iPad for ages.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

10. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    I started having the same experience, that was part of the overall reason I have now switched to Smart Pad.

My advice to anyone, buy them both and try them side by side to see what works best for you, some will prefer PI and some, like me, will prefer SP. Let's face it, if you spend hundreds on the device then a few pounds on a couple of apps to see which is best is a relatively small investment and you can probably get a refund on the unwanted one. For me, I'm keeping both and as updates come in I may change my mind later but I will keep monitoring.......they are both great apps which are well supported by the developers.

The Archangel

11. PatriciaF

PatriciaF iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I settled on SP and Gariel1 is correct. We spend money on the ipad and we should really consider getting the best for the best. I found Knowtilus Pro good for the web. I did not like Sarfari but I am considering Marven and Savy Soda which is a is like a black out no one can see web search, a little too simple maybe for my needs.

12. LeftCoastMichael

LeftCoastMichael iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Easy to manage multiple calendars

Hi. I designed SmartPad. We recognized that there would be many different solutions to synchronizing calendars, so we just went with the easiest one: SmartPad syncs directly with the iPad calendar. This means, we don't have to go into the cloud so it's faster and more robust. It also means that we can take advantage of Apple's existing connections: the iPad Calendar can connect multiple calendars with any Exchange or CalDav-compliant calendars. For example, I personally use about 12 Google Calendars, and connect those all directly with my iPad calendar using Google's Exchange server. It's seamless and it also allows me to create new calendars on the iPad calendar by creating those first on Google calendar. So where does SmartPad come in? Simple - it just syncs with your iPad calendar. In that way, the iPad calendar just acts as a conduit. I never actually use it, it just acts as the conduit between Exchange and SmartPad.

The other advantage is that SmartPad syncs Tasks with Toodledo. Now, with version 2.1, both calendars and tasks are sync'd automatically and in the background. You can also create new tasks directly from any email.

I can't speak about other apps out there, but if you'd like to talk to us or have any questions, I'll try to hang around here. We also have a forum on our site but it's mostly populated with SmartPad users.

Oh - one last thing - we do have an iPhone version called SmartCal. The only major difference is that SmartCal does not have integrated Notes, like SmartPad does. We've got a new version coming out with some really cool features.

We have videos that show both SmartPad and SmartCal, they should give you a pretty good idea of how they work...

13. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +597 / 1
    Many thanks Michael for joining the forum. Your input is excellent and a great benifit to users or any one that is thinking about which product to purchase. I look forward to doing a review soon. It is fantastic to have the actually designers of the App to be part of the forum.

14. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    I'll second that, Michael has been quick to respond to my queries even when the questions have been completely stupid!

The Archangel

15. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +346 / 0
    Stupid?. No comment!

I haven't tried smart pad is there a lite version?

sent with love from my iPad on IPF