What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNY Zoom it

silvo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am interested in the ability to read PDF drawings on my Pad, whilst away from the office.

I cannot use DropBox for security reasons, and I sometimes need access to several drawings.

Has anyone in the Forum seen or used Zoom IT?

I have searched the Forum but come up with a dud. Here in the UK it is available from the following-

PNY Zoom It Flash Memory Reader #P-ZOOMITRDR-SDHC-RF - eXpansys UK

Thanks.

P.S. Brasso now sell Gadget Cleaner, an anti static cleaner for all gadgets, I got some in Tesco, seems quite good.

Silvo

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Silvo

There are a number of ways besides DropBox of getting a PDF onto iPad, the simplest probably being email.

That said, this Zoomit gadget looks damned interesting. If it can really take PDFs from an SD card and somehow put them on the iPad I'll be buying it!

Checking it out now; I'm looking for critical reviews in places like Amazon.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That Zoomit looks interesting. But, I wandered all over Amazon, the App Store and the 'Net, but couldn't find the answer - does this thing have an "Open In" function, whether on the device or the supporting app? 'Cause it looks very handy...

Silvo, if this doesn't pan out, you can always take a look at AirStash, which is also another dongle-like device for using SD cards as iPad storage. I'm keeping my eyes on it because by the end of the month (?), AirStash is supposed to come out with a supporting app.

There is also an .exe file called Goodreader USB that you can install on your PC that will let you transfer files to the Goodreader app. As with iTunes, you have to be wired to the PC, but unlike iTunes, it's a drag-n-drop function, no syncing (and no messing with iTunes).

Not very much help on your original question, I am afraid, but I'd be VERY interested at learning more about this Zoomit (appears to have less fuss than AirStash).

Marilyn

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, the dearth of real info and reviews (as far as transferring PDFs, docs, etc) is not a good sign.

Amazon's got a few real and informative reviews, but they're all about photos.

Nevertheless, a product to watch...

Marilyn, thanks for the info on the GoodReader exe. It looks almost too good to be true.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I've used the GoodreaderUSB program (it's a .exe file that you just run - it's not installed). It truly is a great little drag-n-drop program ... as in ... you don't (can't?) cut-n-paste your files. Can only drag.

The neat thing about this .exe file, since it's not an installable file, is that I have it on a flash drive, in addition to my main PC. So, if I have the cable and access to any PC, I can put stuff into GoodReader.

And, with Dropbox upload capability, once it"s in Goodreader...

But I digress. Back on topic. I have that Zoom-it page bookmarked and I'll be watching it, along with AirStash.

Marilyn

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deleted - information found

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To go further off topic from Zoom-It (sorry, Silvo, but...)

Documents To Go Premium also allows you to set up a wireless connection to your PC. In effect, it creates a folder on your PC(in my case, on a Windows 7 PC, its in the Documents folder in "Libraries"). Then, you can just put documents in that folder (well, as long as the app is running on your iPad) and then you can get them onto the iPad.

DocumentsToGo Premium can read PDFs. Or, you can open the file in other iPad apps (such as iBooks, GoodReader, etc). It's wireless, unlike GoodReader USB - though both still require you to be at your computer.

Just lots of ways to get documents on the iPad without using Dropbox...

Maybe one of these will work until you get better reviews of Zoom-It (or get one for yourself ... and review it to us here!).

Marilyn

mer4343

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw the Zoom-It yesterday at the MacMall and wondered if anyone else was curious. Let us know if you end up with one!

OP
S

silvo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for your interest, I might go ahead and purchase the Zoom It, in which case I will report back.

silvo

Most reactions

Latest posts