Pls recommend printer for ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by scrabble, Dec 1, 2013.

1. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My desktop computer no longer works. Have an okidata b4400 great little printer but called okidata and unable to use it as a printer for my ipad mini. I have netgear n150 router and wifi. Pls recommend printer for ipad mini. Thank you.

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    To use AirPrint, you need a Wi-Fi capable printer, connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPad.
    You'll find a list of printers that support AirPrint in the following link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

3. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, many are listed, and I suppose they are all about equal......I will check this out, and I really appreciate the help. I was looking for something not too big and of good quality.

4. sgarcia

sgarcia
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Your inquiry is a bit complex to discuss in writing. I would suggest contacting Oki Data Customer Support to discuss printer compatibility with your iPAD mini. We can be reached at 1-800-654-3282 available 24/7. Thank you!

5. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your reply.

Per my 12/1/2013, 2:44 p.m post, I placed a call to Okidata and I was informed that the OKI B4400 printer cannot be used as
    an AirPrinter. I have a Netgear 150 router, and wanted to purchase an Air Printer that would be compatible with the router.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Before buying a printer, check the netgear sight to see the the netgenie app will work with your printer. This program runs on a windows PC and will make any printer on your PC an airprinter, so in this case you don't need a printer but that PC has to be on for this to work.

7. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, but I have no computer or pc, all I have is the mini ipad. My computer stopped working and I was told it could not be fixed.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scrabble - I'm assuming that w/ your router, your iPad Mini can still connect to the internet via Wi-Fi - correct? And that you seem to not want to replace your computer - correct? If so, then you obviously need a printer that will pick up your home wireless network or one that can establish its own Wi-Fi network - there are MANY options these days.

Plus, I'm assuming that you are in the Chicago area? If so, plenty of places to visit - I would suggest that you take your iPad Mini to a BIG BOX store, such as Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, or Fry's Electronics (the latter might be my choice if available?) - have them help pick out a printer for you that will work w/ your home network; they could likely test your iPad there as to communicating w/ the printer(s) of your choice; plus, if once home the printer does not seem to work, then you can easily return the product. Good luck - Dave :)

P.S. I looked at the PDF file of your owner's manual for the printer owned - does not seem to be a choice unless you want to get a new computer - sorry.

#8 giradman, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much Dave. Yes, my area is correct, and I have a Netgear N150 wireless router purchased from Target which was set up for me last May by calling Netgear support when I still had my desktop. I would like to replace the Acer desktop but I don't know with what. Have you any thoughts about what would be less problematic (desktop or laptop, and could you recommend something reliable)? I really appreciate assistance and help as I am a tech challenged senior. Thanks again.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Scrabble - now you've opened up a much more complicated discussion not easily handled in this format; but just to ask a few questions to get you started: 1) If you want a desktop replacement, do you want to stay w/ a PC or switch to Apple?; 2) Are you willing to change to an Apple router, such as the Airport Express (if changing over to Apple); 3) What is your budget? and 4) Can you setup a new home computer/network or do you need help?

Earlier this year (and I'm retired & a senior, myself), I switched from PCs (DT & laptop) to Apple (new iMac & MBPro), including a new router (Apple Airport Extreme) & a new Canon Pixma Wi-Fi printer w/ AirPrint, so have just gone through such a change. Before I continue, let us know the answers to the questions posed - Dave :)