What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pls recommend printer for ipad mini

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My desktop computer no longer works. Have an okidata b4400 great little printer but called okidata and unable to use it as a printer for my ipad mini. I have netgear n150 router and wifi. Pls recommend printer for ipad mini. Thank you.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, many are listed, and I suppose they are all about equal......I will check this out, and I really appreciate the help. I was looking for something not too big and of good quality.

sgarcia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your inquiry is a bit complex to discuss in writing. I would suggest contacting Oki Data Customer Support to discuss printer compatibility with your iPAD mini. We can be reached at 1-800-654-3282 available 24/7. Thank you!

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Per my 12/1/2013, 2:44 p.m post, I placed a call to Okidata and I was informed that the OKI B4400 printer cannot be used as
an AirPrinter. I have a Netgear 150 router, and wanted to purchase an Air Printer that would be compatible with the router.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Per my 12/1/2013, 2:44 p.m post, I placed a call to Okidata and I was informed that the OKI B4400 printer cannot be used as an AirPrinter. I have a Netgear 150 router, and wanted to purchase an Air Printer that would be compatible with the router.

Before buying a printer, check the netgear sight to see the the netgenie app will work with your printer. This program runs on a windows PC and will make any printer on your PC an airprinter, so in this case you don't need a printer but that PC has to be on for this to work.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but I have no computer or pc, all I have is the mini ipad. My computer stopped working and I was told it could not be fixed.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, but I have no computer or pc, all I have is the mini ipad. My computer stopped working and I was told it could not be fixed.

Hi Scrabble - I'm assuming that w/ your router, your iPad Mini can still connect to the internet via Wi-Fi - correct? And that you seem to not want to replace your computer - correct? If so, then you obviously need a printer that will pick up your home wireless network or one that can establish its own Wi-Fi network - there are MANY options these days.

Plus, I'm assuming that you are in the Chicago area? If so, plenty of places to visit - I would suggest that you take your iPad Mini to a BIG BOX store, such as Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, or Fry's Electronics (the latter might be my choice if available?) - have them help pick out a printer for you that will work w/ your home network; they could likely test your iPad there as to communicating w/ the printer(s) of your choice; plus, if once home the printer does not seem to work, then you can easily return the product. Good luck - Dave :)

P.S. I looked at the PDF file of your owner's manual for the printer owned - does not seem to be a choice unless you want to get a new computer - sorry.

Last edited:
OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much Dave. Yes, my area is correct, and I have a Netgear N150 wireless router purchased from Target which was set up for me last May by calling Netgear support when I still had my desktop. I would like to replace the Acer desktop but I don't know with what. Have you any thoughts about what would be less problematic (desktop or laptop, and could you recommend something reliable)? I really appreciate assistance and help as I am a tech challenged senior. Thanks again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks so much Dave. Yes, my area is correct, and I have a Netgear N150 wireless router purchased from Target which was set up for me last May by calling Netgear support when I still had my desktop. I would like to replace the Acer desktop but I don't know with what. Have you any thoughts about what would be less problematic (desktop or laptop, and could you recommend something reliable)? I really appreciate assistance and help as I am a tech challenged senior. Thanks again.

Hi again Scrabble - now you've opened up a much more complicated discussion not easily handled in this format; but just to ask a few questions to get you started: 1) If you want a desktop replacement, do you want to stay w/ a PC or switch to Apple?; 2) Are you willing to change to an Apple router, such as the Airport Express (if changing over to Apple); 3) What is your budget? and 4) Can you setup a new home computer/network or do you need help?

Earlier this year (and I'm retired & a senior, myself), I switched from PCs (DT & laptop) to Apple (new iMac & MBPro), including a new router (Apple Airport Extreme) & a new Canon Pixma Wi-Fi printer w/ AirPrint, so have just gone through such a change. Before I continue, let us know the answers to the questions posed - Dave :)

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My usage is mainly email, web surfing, word processing and online banking.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. It doesn't matter to me if it is a pc or Apple, I would just like to have something that is reliable as I had so many problems
with the Acer 3450 desktop which was less than two years old. I was very grateful that I purchased the Square Trade 4 year warranty as after returning the desktop to Tiger Direct and being told it could not be repaired, Square Trade sent me a check for what I originally paid for the desktop or $550. I have been used to the Windows 7 operating system and I don't believe this is available anymore. I really am not knowledgeable about routers and if I had to make a switch to an Apple product, I would need to have it connected and set up for me. Budget is not a concern and I would have to have a home network set up for me. I apologize if I have raised too many questions in this forum.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My usage is mainly email, web surfing, word processing and online banking.

Thank you. It doesn't matter to me if it is a pc or Apple, I would just like to have something that is reliable as I had so many problems
with the Acer 3450 desktop which was less than two years old. I was very grateful that I purchased the Square Trade 4 year warranty as after returning the desktop to Tiger Direct and being told it could not be repaired, Square Trade sent me a check for what I originally paid for the desktop or $550. I have been used to the Windows 7 operating system and I don't believe this is available anymore. I really am not knowledgeable about routers and if I had to make a switch to an Apple product, I would need to have it connected and set up for me. Budget is not a concern and I would have to have a home network set up for me. I apologize if I have raised too many questions in this forum.

Hi Scrabble - not that many questions @ all since there are many factors to consider - :) First, NO budget makes recommendations easier! Second, I would suggest switching to Apple like I did in the spring; from your description a replacement desktop (vs. a laptop) would be your preference - I purchased a 22.5" iMac computer (computer & monitor are 1 piece + Bluetooth keyboard & mouse - quite elegant) and an Apple AirPort Extreme router. Now you'll have to learn the basics of a new OS (i.e. Mavericks which is OS X 10.9 - my wife has adjusted fine from a PC world) - email, web surfing & word processing is no problem - online banking is another issue depending on what you are doing now?

Your printer could be USB cabled into the new computer or into the router and probably setup to print via your iPad Mini - if you really want to replace your desktop and feel that Apple is a way to go, then I would suggest visiting an Apple store in your area and discuss the options w/ them: 1) as to an Apple computer, your choices are the Apple Mini vs. the one I bought described above; and 2) as to an Apple router, your choices are an Apple AirPort Express vs. Extreme. Apple stores offer classes and I'm sure that they (or their recommendations) can provide people 'in house' to help you setup the new equipment at home. Hope this helps - Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts