What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE HELP !

hmoobiphone4s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi everyone, Im new here to this forums and I just want someone to point me to the right direction. I bought a ipad 2 (A1395) last night from someone and didn't bother check anything other than make sure there is no icloud account lock to it. When I got home and my son start playing with it, I notices on settings/general down on the bottom before Reset there is a profile call MDM profile/v_4 never have I seem that in any of my idevices. I did a itune restored and its still on there, im not sure but this must be a stolen ipad from some kind of company or school, but how can I find out and contact the original owner? and if I cant find the orginal owner is there a way to remove that MDM?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's possible the iPad was used by a student or business, but owned by the person who sold it. Or maybe not. About all you can do is report the serial number to local law enforcement and wait to see if it pops up as reported stolen. Totally unsatisfactory, I know.

The profile should not have come back if you did a clean restore (did not restore a backup). Or, I wouldn't think it would. But I admit I have no experience with how profiles work.

You can also try Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Contents and Settings. Do not restore from a backup. You'll lose any data you've accumulated, so make sure you save any important files or pictures first. Purchased apps can be downloaded again (for free) from the App Store, as can almost all other iTunes store content.

OP
H

hmoobiphone4s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reset it about 3 to 4 time, and NEW restored it twice and its still there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did a little research. If it's a business or education profile, then you should be able to delete it directly, or if not then it should ask you for a password to delete it. This is what it says in the iPad User Guide for iOS 8.3.

You can see your profiles in Settings > General > Profiles. If you delete a profile, all of the settings and accounts associated with the profile are also removed, including any custom apps your organization provided or had you download. If you need a passcode to remove a profile, contact your system administrator. -- iPad User Guide for iOS 8

That's probably not much help.

OP
H

hmoobiphone4s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
on the profile MDM its all grey out and you cant remove it, I did a little research and there should be a red box say REMOVE on there in order to remove or uninstall it. This profile MDM is grey out and if you tap or double tap it does nothing. how do I contact system administrator, there is no information on there for me to contact them

OP
H

hmoobiphone4s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mdm1.jpg

if it looks like this...I should be able to delete or uninstall it...

mdm2.jpg

now my looks like this...there is no removel or uninstall on there. also more details is all grey out too

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was afraid it would be something like that. No more ideas here. If you can contact the person who sold it to you they might have more information.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A little more reading suggests that restoring a backup from another iPad (one without the profile) might work. You'd then have to do the restore (again) to get back to a clean state.

Unless you own another iPad, I have no idea where you'd get a backup to try. Maybe a friend who trusts you enough to not abuse the temporary access you'd have to his files and account.

Apparently there are three modes of profiles, and they can be signed or not signed. From the description you've got the Never Remove and signed version; which can normally only be killed by the administrator that signed it.

OP
H

hmoobiphone4s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my said "NOT SIGNED" in red...what does that mean? yes...I do own another ipad 2 and I will try that when I get home. thanks

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That means there is probably another way to clear it. If the backup method fails I'll see if I can find that article again. I really should've bookmarked it.

OP
H

hmoobiphone4s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes, the back up method fails...still on there. I reset and restored this ipad over 20 times by now. HELP!

Most reactions