What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help - problem opening up a links embedded in web pages

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The link problem has not been addressed yet. Apple has acknowledged it and is working a solution, probably in a iOS 9.3.1 update. From the general tone of the news/rumors, I'm guessing this should come out soon.

The earlier updates were for a problem that prevented some older iPads from completing the iOS 9.3 update.

From what I'm reading the link bug is a combination of some sites & apps misusing somethjing called a Universal Link protocol (if memory serves), and iOS 9.3 crashing when that protocol is abused. Something about too much data. I didn't read the details closely. Clearing the history and data in Safari's preferences may offer a temporary fix for some.

That's all I know at this point.

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have just read that bookings.com is being identified as the culprit. Something was wrong with an update that caused the problem identified by twerppoet (previous post). Bookings .com is now fixed, Apple must fix the universal link protocol.
To get the problem you had to have used bookings.com after the offending update, thus the reason why some are impacted, others not.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just read that bookings.com is being identified as the culprit. Something was wrong with an update that caused the problem identified by twerppoet (previous post). Bookings .com is now fixed, Apple must fix the universal link protocol.
To get the problem you had to have used bookings.com after the offending update, thus the reason why some are impacted, others not.
There is a workaround but it has 17 steps which must be followed exactly. Apple iOS 9.3 Update: New Fix For Serious Problems

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scifan, thanks but regrettably it did not work for me. I went through it 3 times and then went to one of the developers sites and followed his more detailed approach, still no joy. My main concern with the bug is the hyperlinks in email not working so my fix has been to install the outlook.com mail app and use Firefox as the search engine within that. Works for me so I am comfortable to wait for 9.3.1.
Alex.

Kent Pietsch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those with the link problems might give clearing history and data in Safari's settings and see if that helps. Especially if the problem is site specific (here).

Edit: Never mind. I'm seeing news stories saying this is a widely known problem with the iOS 9.3 update (for some peope). The abover suggestion probably won't help, though it might still be worth a try.

I'm a bit behind in my news reading to day, mostly because I was burried in a good book

Kent Pietsch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Terwppoet ... Tks for the input the best guess I have seen. It fits with my experience. Away from imbedded links Safari functions as designed. A few embedded links in a few apps function properly. All imbedded links in mail, dropbox, and the majority apps I routinely run experience the issue. The bug does seem related to iOS 9.3 and not 9.2.1. The revised 9.3 to solve the install problem did not address the bug as you state. So, we await 9.3.1 which woll probably be proven more the fault of apps than iOS. Appreciate your thoughts.
Kent

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The update is quite small and only took a few minutes to install.
image.png

Most reactions

Latest posts