Please help..newbie ipad 2 owner

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by ipadqatar, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ipadqatar

ipadqatar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, just got a new ipad 2, (welcome to the world of apple), anyway, can somebody please guide me as to what do I need to do to convert my wired internet connection in my room so that the ipad 2 can connect to it? I was just being overwhelmed by the bunch of informations I need to understand about this device.... thank you and looking forward for some inputs...........thanks.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    If you have a wired Internet connection then all you need is a wireless router. Another - and cheaper - alternative, if you have a PC, is to purchase a USB WiFi 'dongle' for your PC and then turn your PC into a WiFi hotspot.

The wireless router is the technically easiest route forward - almost any wireless router will work - for example the Apple Airport Express - but it's the most expensive. A USB WiFi dongle can be purchase for just a few dollars, but then there's some configuration to be done on the PC to make the PC into a WiFi hotspot. We'd be happy to guide you through either approach.

Tim
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    welcome to your new ipad!

yes, as Tim says, you need to wirelessly transfer your internet signal to your ipad - a router does this. buy a cheapy one. only a couple of bucks. dont be collared into buying expensive. just not needed. i use a third hand linksys jobbie offof ebay. cost me about 10 bucks including postage. works a dream and is nice and fast.

and dont worry about learning a bunch of new apple stuff - believe me, it's super super fast and easy to pick up. thats the beauty with apple's stuff - the thinking is kept to a minimum. they do all that for you. use your device and you'll be fluent within an hour i assure you!
  4. ipadqatar

ipadqatar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you guys for the heads-up..... i think i have to go to the wifi router route....... i will try to get one and let you know guys, so just to clarify,any wifi router will do? any specific brand out there that stands out from the others, yes, i understand the airport express is really expensice............nice to know i can use ordinary wifi routers.....
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
  6. jdpurvis

jdpurvis iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Routers

Yes, and you don't need to order it online - just go into your local Best Buy or similar store. Linksys, D-Link, Netgear are all reasonable brands and, as noted, the Apple one is more expensive, and not better. - and you don't need a super-fast one, since IPADS only support standard speeds for WiFi.

J