What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help..newbie ipad 2 owner

ipadqatar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, just got a new ipad 2, (welcome to the world of apple), anyway, can somebody please guide me as to what do I need to do to convert my wired internet connection in my room so that the ipad 2 can connect to it? I was just being overwhelmed by the bunch of informations I need to understand about this device.... thank you and looking forward for some inputs...........thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a wired Internet connection then all you need is a wireless router. Another - and cheaper - alternative, if you have a PC, is to purchase a USB WiFi 'dongle' for your PC and then turn your PC into a WiFi hotspot.

The wireless router is the technically easiest route forward - almost any wireless router will work - for example the Apple Airport Express - but it's the most expensive. A USB WiFi dongle can be purchase for just a few dollars, but then there's some configuration to be done on the PC to make the PC into a WiFi hotspot. We'd be happy to guide you through either approach.

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
welcome to your new ipad!

yes, as Tim says, you need to wirelessly transfer your internet signal to your ipad - a router does this. buy a cheapy one. only a couple of bucks. dont be collared into buying expensive. just not needed. i use a third hand linksys jobbie offof ebay. cost me about 10 bucks including postage. works a dream and is nice and fast.

and dont worry about learning a bunch of new apple stuff - believe me, it's super super fast and easy to pick up. thats the beauty with apple's stuff - the thinking is kept to a minimum. they do all that for you. use your device and you'll be fluent within an hour i assure you!

OP
I

ipadqatar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you guys for the heads-up..... i think i have to go to the wifi router route....... i will try to get one and let you know guys, so just to clarify,any wifi router will do? any specific brand out there that stands out from the others, yes, i understand the airport express is really expensice............nice to know i can use ordinary wifi routers.....

jdpurvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Routers

thank you guys for the heads-up..... i think i have to go to the wifi router route....... i will try to get one and let you know guys, so just to clarify,any wifi router will do? any specific brand out there that stands out from the others, yes, i understand the airport express is really expensice............nice to know i can use ordinary wifi routers.....

Yes, and you don't need to order it online - just go into your local Best Buy or similar store. Linksys, D-Link, Netgear are all reasonable brands and, as noted, the Apple one is more expensive, and not better. - and you don't need a super-fast one, since IPADS only support standard speeds for WiFi.

J

Most reactions

Latest posts