1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Please help me to understand

Discussion in 'iPad App Announcements' started by Tes, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tes

Tes iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have got the following expanation, about featurs ,which I couldn`t understand,I would highly appriciate if some one would elaborate it for me in a way which I may understand it, first is it free or not? If so then please explain it ,to me.
    "Pages is a word processing app, similar to Microsoft Office's Word program. If you import the notes into Pages in one of a few different ways, then you can use it as he said in his post. This is how I preach every Sun/Wed. I create the file on my computer, save it to my DropBox folder. DropBox is a service that copies files to their web site for you if it is saved in the special folder it places on your computer. Then you download the DropBox app on the iPad and it lest you access these files. This offers a way to open the files in the DropBox app. Then you can export it with a special button in DropBox. It offers a list of programs that can be used on your iPad. Pages is one of them. It opens the file in Pages where you can increase the font size and make it easily readable.Using your finger you can move the screen so it scrolls down a page at a time to view the next page of notes in the sermon. Works great!"
  2. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pages is $10, dropbox is free if you use the smallest storage capacity. I just set this up on my iPad and desktop today. I haven't downloaded Pages yet, so I can't elaborate on exactly how you save a file to the dropbox.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    To add to what the other poster said

You might normally use your laptop or desktop PC to write a document using Microsoft Word - it's the standard word processing program for the PC. Now, if you want to read or edit that document on your iPad you have two problems.

(1) How do I move the document from my PC to my iPad?
    (2) What program do I use on my iPad to read and edit the Microsoft Word document?

Let's deal with the second question first. Microsoft don't produce any software for the iPad so there is no version of Microsoft Word that you can run on the iPad. However, Apple have produced a program ('application' or 'app') that does run on the iPad and can read Microsoft Word files. That app is called 'Pages' and, as the other poster mentioned, it costs about $10. It can read, edit and save Microsoft Word documents.

Let's talk now about the first problem. There are several ways to move documents from your PC <-> iPad. The iPad doesn't have a CD-ROM drive or a slot for a memory card. So, to move files between your PC and the iPad we need to use one of several other methods.

(a) A service such as DropBox or Apple's MobileMe
    (b) Transfer using WiFi or USB cable
    (c) Email

In option (a) we transfer our document from the PC to DropBox or MobileMe over the Internet and then access the document there from our iPad. If you're using Pages, then it directly supports MobileMe's iDisk, a file storage facility managed by Apple and accessible from your PC and iPad.

In option (b) we connect our PC and iPad directly using either a USB cable or via WiFi and directly transfer the document PC<->iPad

In option (c) we email the document to ourself and collect the email on the iPad (or vice versa). From within the iPad's email app 'Mail' we can directly open the Word document.

OK - thanks to the other poster. I'm sure you'll have lots more questions; I didn't want to overload you with too much information at this stage, so please don't hesitate to get back in touch when you've had a chance to read what we've said.

I hope you enjoy your iPad.

Tim
    Scotland
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,907 / 1
    May I recommend getting AppStart from the App Store. It was still free last I checked, and hopefully available in Germany.

Once you have it you can check out the Your File Management section. The other sections might be of interest too. Hold in mind that the apps listed are by no means the only ones or necessarily the best choices, depending on your own needs.

Oh, and if it was a friend you got the info from you can impress them by recommending they look into DropDAV as a better way to get files between Pages and DropBox.

I know, I know. More confusion. Don't worry, it all makes sense after a while.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  5. vlad1427

vlad1427 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you. useful for me too
  6. Tes

Tes iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to all of you for helping me to understand.