What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help- ipad 3 wifi white screen only after iOS 6 update:(

Tillyann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
After updating my ipad 3 to ios6 yesterday I have a white screen which won't turn off and is not responding at all. We took it to the apple shop who took it out the back and said its not a hardware problem take it away and play with I!
What's that about? We bought it in April so it's still under guarantee but they don't seem to want to know... Can anybody help with a solution to this?please I was really hoping to give it to my son who has aspergers for his birthday in 2 weeks
Time.
I hope to hear from someone soon - thanks.

OP
T

Tillyann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks skimonkey but nothing new there. I've tried all suggestions there.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, thought that might help you.

So you cannot so anything to the iPad? Can't access settings, Turing off?

OP
T

Tillyann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again,
No can't access anything at all just this wet screen. It doesn't turn off.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to press the power switch and the home button at the same time to do a reset? If not try that. It will completely shut down.
.....to do a soft reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
well maybe better not upgrade the ios in the first place especially if you havent read people complaining about it in this forum :)

This hasn't happened to everybody that had done their update to 6.0 and to 6.0.1.

OP
T

Tillyann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx skimonkey,
Have done both. It does shut down but when I turn it on again there's just a white screen which is unresponsive.:(

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thx skimonkey,
Have done both. It does shut down but when I turn it on again there's just a white screen which is unresponsive.:(

I'd say take it back to the Apple store and have them take a look at it. If you cannot get to the setting this leaves you with no other choice. Have you tried to connect it to iTunes as what the earlier link stated?

OP
T

Tillyann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again,
I did go to the apple store who said there wasn't a hardware problem and to go and 'play' with it- not helpful. I just felt like I was being fobbed off. I will continue to 'play' with it in the hope something might change, any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated but I will go back to Apple on Weds when I am free.Thanks for your help.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi again,
I did go to the apple store who said there wasn't a hardware problem and to go and 'play' with it- not helpful. I just felt like I was being fobbed off. I will continue to 'play' with it in the hope something might change, any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated but I will go back to Apple on Weds when I am free.Thanks for your help.

Tilly, my understanding is that you can't access anything for you to play with it as they said.

Have you connected your iPad to your computer using the USB cord? That was one of the things suggested by Gabriel1 in he earlier link I gave you? Otherwise, I am unsure what else can be done.

Can you get to your multi-task Barry doing a 4-finger swipe upward? If you can, swipe your fingers to the right to find your volume panel and see if your brightness is set to max. Readjust and lower it to see if that helps.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
After updating my ipad 3 to ios6 yesterday I have a white screen which won't turn off and is not responding at all. We took it to the apple shop who took it out the back and said its not a hardware problem take it away and play with I!
What's that about? We bought it in April so it's still under guarantee but they don't seem to want to know... Can anybody help with a solution to this?please I was really hoping to give it to my son who has aspergers for his birthday in 2 weeks
Time.
I hope to hear from someone soon - thanks.

G'day Tillyann it's been a while since some very knowledgable people on this forum came up with suggestions. It's not clear, due to no further comment from you, whether your problem was resolved and, if so, how. And you may have already moved on from all this.

The white screen thing has happened to a number of people, particularly to owners of iPods and iPhones, to the point where "the white screen of death" has become a popular phrase. But some suggestions have worked for them. The fact that Apple has not come up with any assistance and given that ridiculous and uncaring suggestion by your Apple shop, that does not IMO do Apple much credit. They suggested "play with it some more" and may I suggest you do a bit more of that, as follows, whether it's been-done-before or may be silly-sounding. No guarantees it will work. Just a suggestion of a few more things to try, and that's it from what I know.

** If you have a white screen, your iPad battery it is still holding a charge, otherwise it would be dead black. So just leave it with the white screen on and just flatten the battery completely, then fully recharge it.
** Have you tried the suggestion by Gabriel1 to connect your iPad to your computer and then sync back re the system upgrade?
** Did you download, or were using any App when the screen went white? You could also go into your computer with the USB connection, delete that App in iTunes and re-sync back. That may help.
** Now this gets weird, but has been successful for iPod and iPhone white screens. May not work for iPad but try it.
The three finger reset: With the right hand hold down the Home button. Then still holding the Home button, with fingers of the left hand, hold the Volume Up (left side high volume). Then while holding those Two buttons, hold down the Power Off button near that volume button. After holding down all three wait until the Apple logo appears and then let go.

Again, as I said, no guarantees. Just more suggestions. If still no good it could be a screen digitiser problem, where you may have to decide to repair or send your machine to that great apple orchard in the sky. Whichever, hope it works out for you, but do let us know either way, as we could all learn from that.
All the beast, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That does not sound like a typical response from an Apple Store employee. If you take it back and get the same answer, be sure to ask for a manager or someone else. While they may not be able to help you for some reason (that I can not think of), you are at least owed a better explanation than go play with it.

Most reactions