What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

please help...i'm lost

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
first let me say i stopped syncing to itunes long long ago. the reason was when i thought i was MANUALLY syncing selectively, itunes was syncing everything automatically. quite frankly i found the whole process not intuitive at all, so i stopped using itunes ever.

well now i'll be getting a mini, so i do want to get many(not all) of my apps onto the mini. i downloaded itunes again.....and i am lost. the whole interface is now different, and whereas iirc there once was a two panel screen that allowed me to drag/drop apps(correct me if my memory is wrong),,,i now see no such implementation of the app transfer process.

to be specific I HAVE NOT YET RECEIVED THE MINI. what i just did was connect my ipad2 to the computer to see what's what, and again, what i see is no way to perform a drag/drop of apps. the itunes has a collection of every single app i have ever had on the ipad2, 80% OF WHICH i don't want to transfer to the mini when i receive it tomorrow.

so when i get my mini, and hook it up to the computer, what steps will i need to follow to MANUALLY transfer selected apps top the mini?....THX

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All apps are saved on Apple store cloud. Go there sign in download the ones you want. New mini needs to have same user name as old. I have never connected this iPad to PC!

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All apps are saved on Apple store cloud. Go there sign in download the ones you want. New mini needs to have same user name as old. I have never connected this iPad to PC!

I don't think you can select what apps to recover from an iCloud backup, because that 1 big chunk of information, but you can select what to backup from Settings > iCloud > Manage storage.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud will backup the homescreen and it's apps, and when you use an iCloud backup to restore the iPad, it will set up the homescreens the same way it was backed up.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, had issues with the new "look" of iTunes. Fortunately, Apple left in ways so we could make iTunes look as we remembered. Here are the steps I took to make iTunes look the old way:

image.jpg

Then, for your "iTunes is syncing everything!" issue, take a look at this tutorial picture:

image.jpg

The good part is that, while it's annoying to do, the steps you take to prevent automatic syncing are a one-time deal. So, you never have to do these steps again.

The only thing I use iTunes for is to keep a record of the apps I have on my iDevices and to hold all those device backups. So, when I connect my iPad (or any iDevice), I'm mainly just creating a backup. Here's how I do it:

image.jpg

Granted, these are all my ways of making iTunes comply with my workflow. Hopefully, however, some of it will help you.

Marilyn

P.S. And, as far as setting up your new Mini. Have you considered making a backup (in iTunes) of the iPad2 and then installing that backup onto the Mini? If you intend to use most of the apps from the iPad2 on the Mini anyway, this might be quicker than installing the apps one by one on the Mini.

Once the restore from backup is done, your Mini will be just like the iPad2 (data, settings, apps, etc.). Then, you can just remove/add the apps you want on just the Mini.

Just a thought...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to prepare for is that the upcoming iTunes 12 release has eliminated the sidebar option as it now exists. There is a very limited sidebar view with the playlists, without any of the content that appears above where your device appears.
You may want to practice using iTunes without the sidebar to get ready.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Used iTunes a long time ago to download 'some' music. It downloaded everyting in sight (music). Took awhile to delete what wasn't wanted. Haven't gone near the obtuse system since.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually marilyn,,,that was EXACTLY my intent. because i had stopped using itunes, i wanted to use it again to install all the CURRENT apps onto the mini. 90% of the apps currently backed up in itunes have since been deleted. i wanted an up to date backup to sync to the mini. i was thinking of deleting everything from itunes(there's just way too many useless apps to go through the whole thing individually) and then resyncing the current ipad2 > then the mini. but with the new interface, i couldn't find a way to "select all" and then delete. i only see icons that have to be X'd individually.

i'm very disenchanted that i have to ask a forum to do something so basic.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
actually marilyn,,,that was EXACTLY my intent. because i had stopped using itunes, i wanted to use it again to install all the CURRENT apps onto the mini. 90% of the apps currently backed up in itunes have since been deleted. i wanted an up to date backup to sync to the mini. i was thinking of deleting everything from itunes(there's just way too many useless apps to go through the whole thing individually) and then resyncing the current ipad2 > then the mini. but with the new interface, i couldn't find a way to "select all" and then delete. i only see icons that have to be X'd individually.

i'm very disenchanted that i have to ask a forum to do something so basic.

If you do the steps in the 2d and 3rd pictures (stop the auto-sync and then do the transfer purchases and backup), it will not matter what apps are in iTunes. The backup iTunes makes of the iPad2 will only contain the apps on the iPad2, not any of the "obsolete" ones you've got hanging about in iTunes.

Then, once you get the Mini, connect it to iTunes and select "restore from backup" to select the iPad2's backpack you just made. Again, iTunes will only put the apps onto the Mini that were/are on the iPad2. It will not put any other's on.

One thing to prepare for is that the upcoming iTunes 12 release has eliminated the sidebar option as it now exists. There is a very limited sidebar view with the playlists, without any of the content that appears above where your device appears.
You may want to practice using iTunes without the sidebar to get ready.

Grrrrrr. That is NOT good news, scifan! I'm old, I don't want change! :) As Clint said - get off my lawn! :D

Sigh. Guess I'll start preparing...

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, had issues with the new "look" of iTunes. Fortunately, Apple left in ways so we could make iTunes look as we remembered. Here are the steps I took to make iTunes look the old way:

View attachment 59294

Then, for your "iTunes is syncing everything!" issue, take a look at this tutorial picture:

View attachment 59295

The good part is that, while it's annoying to do, the steps you take to prevent automatic syncing are a one-time deal. So, you never have to do these steps again.

The only thing I use iTunes for is to keep a record of the apps I have on my iDevices and to hold all those device backups. So, when I connect my iPad (or any iDevice), I'm mainly just creating a backup. Here's how I do it:

View attachment 59296

Granted, these are all my ways of making iTunes comply with my workflow. Hopefully, however, some of it will help you.

Marilyn

P.S. And, as far as setting up your new Mini. Have you considered making a backup (in iTunes) of the iPad2 and then installing that backup onto the Mini? If you intend to use most of the apps from the iPad2 on the Mini anyway, this might be quicker than installing the apps one by one on the Mini.

Once the restore from backup is done, your Mini will be just like the iPad2 (data, settings, apps, etc.). Then, you can just remove/add the apps you want on just the Mini.

Just a thought...
thx marilyn but this is what i get for not using itunes. i have downloaded itunes 12 on another pc and your instructions dont work. as mentioned itunes12 got rid of all that stuff. isnt apple supposed to be user friendly?

anyway, what happens now in itunes 12. how do i backup/sync my ipad2 to the desktop? thx

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i go to "my ipad apps" and all it says is apps i downloaded appear in my apps library........WHERE'S THAT?

itunes12

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
so i go to "my ipad apps" and all it says is apps i downloaded appear in my apps library........WHERE'S THAT?

itunes12
Hi andreak. Tap on the App Store app and then on "Purchased" at the bottom line and you will see the apps that you have previously downloaded, whether purchased or for free.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thx marilyn but this is what i get for not using itunes. i have downloaded itunes 12 on another pc and your instructions dont work. as mentioned itunes12 got rid of all that stuff. isnt apple supposed to be user friendly?

anyway, what happens now in itunes 12. how do i backup/sync my ipad2 to the desktop? thx

Here's how I sync my iPad to iTunes (well, I don't actually "sync" per se, but I do make them match):

Connect the iPad to iTunes (version 12 is what I have, also). Ensure you see the iPad icon at the top left.

Then, click on "File" to open a drop-down window. Then, click on "Devices." In there will be the two options I normally use: Transfer Purchases and Back Up.

I do "Transfer Purchases" to make sure iTunes and the iPad match - but that the apps and data flow FROM the iPad to iTunes. Then, once the transfer is done, I run a backup.

That's about all I do with iTunes, TBH. I don't need it for anything else; I just use it for backup purposes.

And yes, iTunes got very confusing when version 12 came out. I, too, searched high and low for those two functions. Finally found them, but was very frustrated until I did... :)

Hopefully, this helps you.

Marilyn

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmmmm. there was no ipad icon, just that teeny tiny icon at the tiptop left to show the sidebar, which btw offers me no options regarding devices, or app purchases/transfers.

grrrrr.

Most reactions