What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

please help before i go crazy.

lyne6452

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi everyone,

my name is lyne and i am new to apple products ( a rarity i am sure). i was given an ipad2 the other day, it was passed down from my nephew who got it from my uncle before he died. i set it up did the passcode, apple id, password , the whole nine yards. when that was done i started checking out the app store to add some apps i needed. during this processes i put the ipad down and stepped away for a minute. when i came back the ipad was asking for the code.

you guessed it. the simple easy code i picked, i can't remember. now i am locked out. i checked online and according to what i found i should be able to do a reset with recovery mode, since i did not know to sync with either itunes or icloud before looking for apps.

the problem is that when i connect to itunes and click restore it tells me it has to download an update, which is 3hrs long. during this time in get kicked out and have to start over. i do not know how many times i tried this in the last 2 days. i do not have the time to set and stare at my laptop trying to catch why it is kicking me out. also i live in a very rural area and the nearest apple store is 3-4 hours away. is there any other way to get into this stupid machine? thanks for any and all help

Joel Fisher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi everyone,

my name is lyne and i am new to apple products ( a rarity i am sure). i was given an iPad 2 the other day, it was passed down from my nephew who got it from my uncle before he died. i set it up did the pass-code, apple id, password , the whole nine yards. when that was done i started checking out the app store to add some apps i needed. during this processes i put the iPad down and stepped away for a minute. when i came back the ipad was asking for the code.

you guessed it. the simple easy code i picked, i can't remember. now i am locked out. i checked online and according to what i found i should be able to do a reset with recovery mode, since i did not know to sync with either iTunes or icloud before looking for apps.

the problem is that when i connect to iTunes and click restore it tells me it has to download an update, which is 3hrs long. during this time in get kicked out and have to start over. i do not know how many times i tried this in the last 2 days. i do not have the time to set and stare at my laptop trying to catch why it is kicking me out. also i live in a very rural area and the nearest apple store is 3-4 hours away. is there any other way to get into this stupid machine? thanks for any and all help
You could go to the settings on the IPad settings under general you should scroll down to the bottom and see reset options and select reset to factory defaults the process should start erasing the IPad then it will restart and ask you to put in your details again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could go to the settings on the IPad settings under general you should scroll down to the bottom and see reset options and select reset to factory defaults the process should start erasing the IPad then it will restart and ask you to put in your details again.
It's called "Erase All Content and Settings" on iDevices.

As the OP can't access the iPad, because of the forgotten passcode, this won't be possible.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@lyne6452
If you've set up iCloud on your iPad, you can erase it, when you follow these steps:

Go to iCloud.com on a computer (browser), login with your iCloud ID.
Select "All Devices", then choose your iPad. Click "Erase ...." to erase your iPad and it's passcode.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well despite the recent excellent advise above, Lyne.... has not been back here for 3 months - wonder if she even kept the iPad? :) Dave

Last edited:

Most reactions