What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help a newbie to keynote

NeedSnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I do not have any other I products besides the iPad. I need to make a 16:9 presentation of mostly photographs and video clips. The iPad version is native 4:3. Is there a workaround or another program that can do this? Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way that I know of to create 16:9 presentation in Keynote. Not even the full OS X (desktop) version can do it {again, as far as I know}.

If MS Power Point supports 16:9 (I don't know), maybe one of the other office suites will. I don't have any of them, so you'll may have to each site for each app (linked in the App Store) and see (or ask). The most popular of these apps are Documents to Go, Office HD, QuickOffice, and Polaris Office.

That's a lot of "I don't knows". :eek:

I hope someone else can offer you more information.

Not that this is likely to help, but videos taken on the iPad (3rd gen) are 16:9, even though they don't look like it when you are taking them, and the iMovie app can export them in VGA, 720pi, or 1080pi. The last two are 16:9.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Softwares as Keynotes, PowerPoint or Impress are actually targeting the paper format, which is essentially 4:3 or around that. I assume by your requirement that you are trying to produce a presentation that will be shown on a HD TV.

This problem has been existing for a long time and if my memory is good, PowerPoint could be tweaked to support non-printable format. The issue was more with the content not always showing as expected.

Back to your problem.... Since you want to display pics and movies in some kind of presentation, iMovie is the tool to use. The drawback is that depending on the length of your presentation, it may take some time to produce. On the good side, iMovie is great when you need to update the content as a movie is kind of a project where the media can be easily modified and replaced.

You'll also benefit from great transitions, effects, titles and so on.

Of course, it depends on your presentation complexity to know if iMovie will really do the job.

Another benefit from videos instead of presentation documents is that some HD TV are able to play some movie formats directly from a USB key, meaning that there is no need for an external support. Just play the movie and make it loop if the presentation does not need to be interactive.

For a more geeky approach, web pages to hold you content may do the trick and are easily updatable. All you need is a server displaying the content in a full screen browser.

What would be interesting to know is what you are trying to produce and for what purpose as it all depends on this.

My 2 cents

OP
N

NeedSnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the workaround. I resized my images to 1920x1080. They import into keynote in the correct format. I can then change the HDTV to wide and it displays correctly. This works for photos and the videos come into keynote and play in hd without issues.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Guys - the question of adding 16x9 (1.7) images interested me and appreciated the possible solution; so, gave it a try on a B&W photograph that we own by Clyde Butcher (the FL photographer).

I used Irfanview on my laptop (VISTA) and re-sized to 1920x1080; however, the aspect ratio of the original photo was maintained automatically and the pixel dimensions came out to about 1920x1280 (about a 1.5 ratio, so between 1.33 & 1.7); using Dropbox I put the re-sized image on my iPad & also w/ my HD connector viewed on my HDTV - both had the same 1.5 ratio.

So, re-sizing to exactly 1920x1080 would require either some precise cropping and/or distortion of the aspect ratio, of course, both possible. Dave :)

ClydeButcherHDWeb.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts