Please Answer and explain if it can be done?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by bigb0ss, Dec 15, 2010.

1. bigb0ss

bigb0ss
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm interested in buying a new ipad and want to the know the following question...

*** Is it possible to "Tether" the internet connection from my Droid-X to the Ipad?:confused:

If so: Please explain in simple terminology, because this is all new to me. I have used PDA.NET to tether my MAC to my Droid, which was quite simple.

Thanks, everyone!!!

2. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yes, your iPad will connect in the same way your PC does. I use my iPhone to do the same way... Works like a charm!

3. bigb0ss

bigb0ss
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    dannyboy...Do i have to mod my droid x or the ipad itself? If so/not can you give me simple step by step instructions?

4. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Someone else that knows more step by step on a droid can chime in here...:D but you will basically use an app that broadcast a wireless network and your iPad will connect to it. (not sure if the droid has to be rooted or not?)

5. coregeek

coregeek
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  6. graywolf

graywolf
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Use wifi or to save battery use ibluever on Cydia.

7. Mossi

Mossi
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yes...PLEASE chime in! I've done everything I know how and I still can't get Internet access on my iPad. I rooted my DroidX, downloaded and installed both Wireless Tether and Barnacle. Although both show up on the ipad as working , so far I've had no success actually connecting. ANY SUGGESTIONS?:confused:

8. johnnyvol

johnnyvol
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Mossi,

I'm a Droid 1 guy so this may work different for the X, but I had the same issue. It turns out that certain kernals work better than others with wireless tether. I had to try a few before I got one to work with my Ipad but now its slicker than snot. Try a few different kernals and see if that helps.

BTW, I'm running UD 2.5 on my Droid with a Slayher kernal.

Hope this helps,

John

9. Mossi

Mossi
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Could you explain the concept of a kernel to me? What are they and where do you get them? And. What is UD 2.5? People talk about changing ROMs. What are THEY, and where you acquire them?

10. Mjbz68

Mjbz68
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Bigb0ss. Check out a forum called XDAdevelopers. This forum has just about every android device under the sun, how to root them, and almost any other topic you can think of.

This was where i found all the info and troubleshooting when i was rooting and wirelessly tethering my Evo 4G. I just picked up the iPad last week and was wirelessly tethering my evo all weekend at my parents house. Worked like a charm!

Since your on verizons network, just be careful. There is a limit (although you'd have to lookup what the limit is) to the amount of data that can be tethered per month without paying overages. This is why I went with the sprint evo because there is no limit!

Best of luck to ya!