What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Answer and explain if it can be done?

bigb0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying a new ipad and want to the know the following question...

*** Is it possible to "Tether" the internet connection from my Droid-X to the Ipad?:confused:

If so: Please explain in simple terminology, because this is all new to me. I have used PDA.NET to tether my MAC to my Droid, which was quite simple.

Thanks, everyone!!!

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, your iPad will connect in the same way your PC does. I use my iPhone to do the same way... Works like a charm!

OP
B

bigb0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dannyboy...Do i have to mod my droid x or the ipad itself? If so/not can you give me simple step by step instructions?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone else that knows more step by step on a droid can chime in here...:D but you will basically use an app that broadcast a wireless network and your iPad will connect to it. (not sure if the droid has to be rooted or not?)

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone else that knows more step by step on a droid can chime in here...:D but you will basically use an app that broadcast a wireless network and your iPad will connect to it. (not sure if the droid has to be rooted or not?)

Yes...PLEASE chime in! I've done everything I know how and I still can't get Internet access on my iPad. I rooted my DroidX, downloaded and installed both Wireless Tether and Barnacle. Although both show up on the ipad as working , so far I've had no success actually connecting. ANY SUGGESTIONS?:confused:

johnnyvol

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes...PLEASE chime in! I've done everything I know how and I still can't get Internet access on my iPad. I rooted my DroidX, downloaded and installed both Wireless Tether and Barnacle. Although both show up on the ipad as working , so far I've had no success actually connecting. ANY SUGGESTIONS?:confused:

Mossi,

I'm a Droid 1 guy so this may work different for the X, but I had the same issue. It turns out that certain kernals work better than others with wireless tether. I had to try a few before I got one to work with my Ipad but now its slicker than snot. Try a few different kernals and see if that helps.

BTW, I'm running UD 2.5 on my Droid with a Slayher kernal.

Hope this helps,

John

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you explain the concept of a kernel to me? What are they and where do you get them? And. What is UD 2.5? People talk about changing ROMs. What are THEY, and where you acquire them?

Mjbz68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bigb0ss. Check out a forum called XDAdevelopers. This forum has just about every android device under the sun, how to root them, and almost any other topic you can think of.

This was where i found all the info and troubleshooting when i was rooting and wirelessly tethering my Evo 4G. I just picked up the iPad last week and was wirelessly tethering my evo all weekend at my parents house. Worked like a charm!

Since your on verizons network, just be careful. There is a limit (although you'd have to lookup what the limit is) to the amount of data that can be tethered per month without paying overages. This is why I went with the sprint evo because there is no limit!

Best of luck to ya!

johnnyvol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you explain the concept of a kernel to me? What are they and where do you get them? And. What is UD 2.5? People talk about changing ROMs. What are THEY, and where you acquire them?

Go here, lots of good info and a sister site I believe to this one.

I'm not a computer geek, so my vernacular may be a bit off here. A kernel is the part of a ROM that controls the radio (wifi, processor speed and cell signal). With some customs ROMs, like Ultimate Droid (UD) you can change kernels to speed up the processor of your Droid. Some of them work better than others, and since you say you've rooted your X I assume you have the ability to change kernels.

I found that certain kernels did not allow my wireless tether to work as well as others. Once I found one that worked I stuck with it and no longer had problems tethering my Ipad to my Droid.

Hope this helps,

John

fredsmith219

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not exactly, Johnny, but you are close. The kernel is the core of the operating system. As such, it performs the functions you describe (controlling radios, network, user input input, camera, etc...) by talking to device drivers, which in turn control the hardware. It is also the base layer that the Android or IOS operating system runs on. If you think of the CPU as the heart of a physical computer, the kernel is the heart of the software. It isn't part of the ROM, it resides in the ROM. The ROM (read only memory) is a place where important system programs (device drivers, IOS or Android, and the kernel) reside when the device is powered off. In this modern age, kernels can be updated. This is known colloquially as "installing a new ROM", although you aren't changing out any physical parts. What happens when you "install a new ROM" is that you place the device in a state where the ROM can be overwritten with a new kernel, a new operating system, or new device drivers.
People who are very good programmers (such as the RedSn0w team, or the Apple IOS team) are capable of modifying the kernel and device drivers to add or remove functionality from the device. Since Apple doesn't want anyone but them to modify the kernel, the device must be "jailbroken" to allow 3rd party kernels to be installed. Google has no such hangups, although the carriers that get the Android OS and kernel from Google do, which is why Android phones must also be jailbroken if you want to install new functionality.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not exactly, Johnny, but you are close. The kernel is the core of the operating system. As such, it performs the functions you describe (controlling radios, network, user input input, camera, etc...) by talking to device drivers, which in turn control the hardware. It is also the base layer that the Android or IOS operating system runs on. If you think of the CPU as the heart of a physical computer, the kernel is the heart of the software. It isn't part of the ROM, it resides in the ROM. The ROM (read only memory) is a place where important system programs (device drivers, IOS or Android, and the kernel) reside when the device is powered off. In this modern age, kernels can be updated. This is known colloquially as "installing a new ROM", although you aren't changing out any physical parts. What happens when you "install a new ROM" is that you place the device in a state where the ROM can be overwritten with a new kernel, a new operating system, or new device drivers.
Few things...

One, the only true ROM in an iOS device is the bootloader. It is the small part that is non-writable memory. Everything else, including the OS, is stored in flash--just as if it were a SSD or hard drive on a Mac or Windows PC. The bootloader is the safety net and can always be used to reinstall firmware. It is what runs DFU mode.

Two, (both of) you have sort of overlooked the part of the equation that actually deals with the cellular network: the baseband. This is what controls all communications between the iPad 3G and iPhone to the cell network. It has its own CPU, OS, and firmware, apart from iOS. So when it comes to cell networks iOS is not actually controlling the cellular radio at all: the baseband is. And, the baseband in the iPad 3G is exactly the same as that used in the iPhone. Apple does not make or maintain the baseband, it is from Infineon, who is now owned by Intel. There are rumors that Apple is going to switch to a Qualcomm baseband with the iPhone 5, and presumably the iPad 2.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts