Playing with Playgrounds

Discussion in 'iPad Development' started by twerppoet, Sep 26, 2016.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I found something easy to play with on iTunes U.

Geometry with Swift Playgrounds - Free Course by Apple Distinguished Educators on iTunes U

It's a Logo like approach to programing. I haven't bothered with the course itself, but in the resource page there's a playground that you can download and use. It stands alone pretty well.

This is easier than Apple's second lesson book, and way easier the Project Euler. All you need is some basic geometry, and what you don't know you can probably pick up along the way.

Note. Trying to install the playground directly from iTunes U did not work. I had to open it in GoodReader and unzip the folder, then open into Playgrounds from there.

I'll be exploring iTunes U for more stuff. I should have thought to look there earlier.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Feel that Apple's "Learn to Code" 1 and 2 are for kids?

This iTunes-U course is more in-line with "The Swift Programing Language" manual by Apple, simple instructions and code examples; no cute animated aliens in a 3D world.

A Swift Time to Code - Student - Free Course by Trumbull Career and Technical Center on iTunes U

It also makes a good refresher. Repetition is a good way to learn. While the same concepts are taught, the slightly different approach and exercises make for less boredom.

3. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for this! I like it and am going to start the course.

I may not comment here all the time - but I am sure grateful that you are finding all this neat programming stuff. Gives me some fun "brain" time. Thanks!

Marilyn

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem. I'm doing it anyway, so I might as well share what I find out.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    There is an update to the Playgrounds app today, and it includes a new Learn to Code 3 lesson book. We move from Bytes' world based on blocks to Blu's co-ordinate based universe. I've only checked out the first lesson in the first chapter, but it looks to be good.

IMG_1902-2.png