What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing music from USB drive on to Ipad Pro 10.7

mkeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having previously always used Android I recently invested in an Ipad Pro 10.7. I've got a load of music saved to USB flash drives. As shopping for adaptors is a bit of a minefield I'm wondering if anybody can suggest a suitable and reliable adaptor to the Apple lighting socket.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Afaik, it’s not yet possible to play music from a flash drive on your iPad - unless you’re already running iPadOS 13, which is still in beta.
The software will be released to the public by Apple in a little more than a week. If you don’t want to download the beta version, just wait for a few more days.

iPadOS 13 allows playing music from an USB flash drive. With a lightning port, you’ll need this adapter:
Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

For more information:
Everything you need to know about external hard drives and iPadOS

Hope that helps.

OP
M

mkeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Afaik, it’s not yet possible to play music from a flash drive on your iPad - unless you’re already running iPadOS 13, which is still in beta.
The software will be released to the public by Apple in a little more than a week. If you don’t want to download the beta version, just wait for a few more days.

iPadOS 13 allows playing music from an USB flash drive. With a lightning port, you’ll need this adapter:
Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

For more information:
Everything you need to know about external hard drives and iPadOS

Hope that helps.
Excellent, thanks. Just checked and my device is indeed running OS13.0. I'll check out the adaptor you recommend. Thanks again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks. Just checked and my device is indeed running OS13.0. I'll check out the adaptor you recommend. Thanks again.

Hi Mkeos - welcome to the forum! :) Johanna has already provided excellent advice; however, just to clarify, I'm assuming you have the iPad Pro 10.5" display w/ the 'lightening port" released in June 2017 - not sure if you purchased this device new, refurbed or used, but the current official iOS release is 12.4.1, so if indeed, you have iOS 13.x on you iPad, then that is a beta release (installed previously or by you?).

Please read the 'expected features' of iOS 13.x when released this fall (iOS 13) - USB support is listed but a powered hub may be needed (see the other link given). So, please clarify - there are many ways to put music on an iPad (on my Pro w/ the USB-C port), I still use iTunes manually, but other options exist. Finally, tell us about your other devices, e.g. do you have a computer (if so what kind) and are you running iTunes? Dave

Last edited:
OP
M

mkeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Got it refurbished from MusicMagpie. Ipad Pro, 10.7, Lightning port, 256gb and definitely running iPadOS 13.0 ("YOUR SOFTWARE IS UP TO DATE"). I've got a Windows PC running Win 7. iTunes installed. I recently loaded some movies on the ipad, using iMazing software (recommended). Having already stored masses of music on Usb drives I didn't intend to load any more music on the ipad, preferring to just play directly on to the ipad pro.
Also recently bought an iPhone Xr.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Got it refurbished from MusicMagpie. Ipad Pro, 10.7, Lightning port, 256gb and definitely running iPadOS 13.0 ("YOUR SOFTWARE IS UP TO DATE"). I've got a Windows PC running Win 7. iTunes installed. I recently loaded some movies on the ipad, using iMazing software (recommended). Having already stored masses of music on Usb drives I didn't intend to load any more music on the ipad, preferring to just play directly on to the ipad pro.
Also recently bought an iPhone Xr.

Hi again - thanks for the update - looked up MusicMagpie (first pic below) indicating that you're in the UK (my assumption which may be wrong?) - well, I'm also 'up to date' on my Pro w/ iOS 12.4.1 (second pic) - iOS 13.1 will likely be released in a few weeks or more, so again I presume that you have a 'beta version' - so, cannot give you much advice, but let us know if you are able to use your USB music drives on that iOS install?

Agree about iMazing - been using for a number of years on all of my Macs, an excellent app for transfers and backups of iOS devices. BTW, a coincidence I guess - just got an iPhone XR myself (and a new one for the wife) a month ago - wasn't planning on the purchase but our local Verizon had a '2 for 1' promotion going, which I could not resist. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.23.39 PM.png
IMG_8550.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .- iOS 13.1 will likely be released in a few weeks or more, so again I presume that you have a 'beta version' - . . . :)
View attachment 87400 View attachment 87401

The initial release of iOS (in next couple weeks) will probably be iOS 13.0. At a guess iOS 13.1 will be release a month or two later, possible at the same time as new iPad’s are announced. Speculation is that some of the announced features of iOS 13 will be delayed to iOS 13.1, because they are not ready yet.

Apple has done this before, but this is the first time the developer beta for the fist big update came out before the initial consumer release.

All speculation, of course.

Unless the iPad was purchased used from an individual it should not have iOS 13 on it. To double check go to Settings > General > Software Update. You can also see the version under Settings > General > About. The current non-beta release is 12.4.1

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to go back to iOS 12.4.1 the only way is to restore the iPad. this will erase everything on the iPad and install the latest public release of iOS. Backup your iPad first but if your iPad is on iOS 13 you won't be able to use the backup until the public release of iOS 13.

OP
M

mkeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why would I want to revert to an earlier version of the OS? To repeat, This is a "refurbished" Ipad which tells me that I'm running OS13.0 and that my software is up to date.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
why would I want to revert to an earlier version of the OS? To repeat, This is a "refurbished" Ipad which tells me that I'm running OS13.0 and that my software is up to date.
Because you’re on a beta version of iOS 13.0 without being a registered developer or a public beta tester you may possibly have trouble updating to the public release version of iOS 13 when it's released next week. That was why I mentioned reverting to iOS 12.4.1.

OP
M

mkeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, so considering the device says I'm already up to date, how will I know if it is, or isn't, updating in the future?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait till the public release of iOS 13 next week and try to update then. If an OTA update doesn't work, try updating through iTunes on your computer. The update will be downloaded to your computer and installed when when complete.

BTW, the reason it says that your iPad is up to date is because the iOS 13 beta has a later build number than iOS 12.4.1.

Most reactions

Latest posts