What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing music collection over 3G

Busby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found out there is no way to access my music which is held on my machine at home on an IPAD if it's not on the local network.

I was hoping I could use a VPN to connect to my home network which would then mean that Homeshare in Itunes would work but apparently not.

Is there another music application I can use on the IPAD which would allow me to access my mp3's over a remote connection/vpn? All my music is stored on a network hard drive and I don't want to lose all my space on my ipad with just music if I can access it remotely. As I say locally it's fine as I can just use homeshare but this is no good when I'm out

Thanks

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With about 2M of download speed on 3G, I don't believe you can enjoy music anyway.
You may loose so much.
Anyway good observation. never though on listening to music through VPN. Have to try and see for myself (that it's not working)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try ZumoCast. It's free and will let you access just about anything on your PC or Mac on your iPad. Works well even over 3G.

Michael

OP
B

Busby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

I would have thought with a good 3G signal that streaming MP3's of a certain bitrate 192kbps should be fine. Average song will be around 4mb and average song length is what about 3-4 minutes so 1mb = 1min. Should be fine?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would have thought with a good 3G signal that streaming MP3's of a certain bitrate 192kbps should be fine. Average song will be around 4mb and average song length is what about 3-4 minutes so 1mb = 1min. Should be fine?
Yes it will be fine over 3G. ZumoCast will even do a decent job streaming video over 3G. For both audio and video it will buffer a little bit before starting playback to keep things smooth. And you don't need to worry about port forwarding and public IP addresses. Just load the PC/Mac counterpart and you can see the folders you have chosen to share anywhere you can get Net access.

Michael

OP
B

Busby

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes it will be fine over 3G. ZumoCast will even do a decent job streaming video over 3G. For both audio and video it will buffer a little bit before starting playback to keep things smooth. And you don't need to worry about port forwarding and public IP addresses. Just load the PC/Mac counterpart and you can see the folders you have chosen to share anywhere you can get Net access.

Michael

Cheers Tinman. I did look at that before but the website have withdrawn it for download for now.

Thanks though, I'll keep an eye on the website for when i's back :)

ta

Most reactions