What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play my Mac's iTunes library on iPad over wi-fi?

finkyblinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[moved this from the General Discussion forum]

This seems like a basic newbie question, but I couldn't find it by searching.

I want to be able to plug the headphone jack on my iPad into my living-room stereo and listen to the files in my Mac Mini's iTunes library (it's in my bedroom). All I have found so far is Remote (to control my Mac Mini's iTunes with the iPad as a remote -- cool if I'm laying in bed, but that's about it).

I have set my computer's iTunes to share my library over wifi, but it doesn't show up in my iPad's "iPod." I've also enabled "Home Sharing." What's the solution to this?

(Oh, and I don't have an AirPort nor do I intend to buy one.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are apps that will do this. Most require a companion program on your compute. Search the App Store for stream music. You'll get a lot of other stuff but when I added more qualifiers I stopped getting any results.

Won't recommend any, since I haven't used any. I bet someone here has a favorite.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a slew of streaming apps out there. A simple search in the app store will yield a treasure trove.
My all favorite is FileBrowser. It will allow me to search for any type of file on my complete network of computers plus my Network Attached Storage (NAS). It will also open and play multiple types of media on the iPad such as music, video, pictures, ebooks and open documents for perusal such as Word, PDF and Excel. Not only can you open all those files but you can save them on the iPad too and even open those files in some of the apps available on your iPad.

OP
F

finkyblinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there's no native iTunes/"iPod" support for this? Seems like a glaring omission. FileBrowser sounds great, though, I'll try that and report back. So before I spend the $2.99, say I have a FLAC file on my desktop, and VLC app on my iPad (it's now been pulled from the store), I can stream that file using FileBrowser?

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there's no native iTunes/"iPod" support for this? Seems like a glaring omission. FileBrowser sounds great, though, I'll try that and report back. So before I spend the $2.99, say I have a FLAC file on my desktop, and VLC app on my iPad (it's now been pulled from the store), I can stream that file using FileBrowser?
It is a willful omission by Apple. The iPad was to be a media consumption device of Apple products first with no sharing allowed to prevent piracy.

Depending on file type FileBrowser will stream. I'm not sure at what quality though. To me just circumventing Apple restrictions to iTunes was well worth the price of FileBrowser. Plus the fact that I can use a NAS.

OP
F

finkyblinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, well FileBrowser works fairly swimmingly for streaming mp3s and m4as. (not sure i can make playlists though...)
Still no luck getting flacs to play in either VLC or Yamp, a free flac player app i downloaded... the saga continues.

tempguest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A bit of an old thread but since I found it while searching for the solution to this problem here you go:
-On your computer
-Open iTunes on your computer
-Click Edit at the top
-Click Preferences...
Select the Sharing 'tab'
-Check the Share my library on my local network checkbox and choose to share entire library or selected playlists
-Click OK

On your ipad
-Touch the Music icon (the Music icon for the app that comes with your ipad NOT the iTunes icon which takes you to the iTunes store)
-Touch the More button (bottom right of screen)
-Touch Shared
-Select the Library you wish to use and you are done.....go stream audio to your heart's content.

For your videos:
on your ipad
-touch the Videos icon
-touch Shared (small button at top)
-Touch your library and select which video you want to watch

timblanc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been using the standard apple share preferences from Mac to iPad but found Plex on iPad with Plex server (both free) are a combined solution that is much better at buffering music and video files, also allows me to stream my music and videos away from home through any connected wifi.

Jacko900000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Registered just to say thank you :)
Been searching everywhere !

Yeah, Thanks :)

A bit of an old thread but since I found it while searching for the solution to this problem here you go:
-On your computer
-Open iTunes on your computer
-Click Edit at the top
-Click Preferences...
Select the Sharing 'tab'
-Check the Share my library on my local network checkbox and choose to share entire library or selected playlists
-Click OK

On your ipad
-Touch the Music icon (the Music icon for the app that comes with your ipad NOT the iTunes icon which takes you to the iTunes store)
-Touch the More button (bottom right of screen)
-Touch Shared
-Select the Library you wish to use and you are done.....go stream audio to your heart's content.

For your videos:
on your ipad
-touch the Videos icon
-touch Shared (small button at top)
-Touch your library and select which video you want to watch

smileyfwb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I done everything you've suggested turned on my home sharing on my PC & my laptop went on my iPad 3 and my new iPhone 5. When am on my iPad I go to the music app select the more button but I can't see my library & did the same for my iPhone, I did go to my settings on both my Devices to ensure home sharing is connected using my apple Id/pw with no luck. I am on the same wifi network w/my computers & devices. Any Suggestions why i cannot see my library? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

smileyfwb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the problem, my bad didn't have my iTunes open on my PC my bad! Now I can see my library on my devices, yeah! So proud of myself for Figuring it out, dumpy me. Leaned something day. Happy holidays everyone. I will one day be computer Savvy.

Most reactions

Latest posts