What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastic around screen

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the plastic trim around the screen. The piece that is between the glass and the silver backing. I have some areas on the plastic that, if you push with your finger, are not attached. Am I being crazy and picky, or can this be a problem. Oh, forgot to mention this is my 5th replacement (all new devices). I had to return for dead pixels, bleed, bad bezel. So my question is, am I being crazy and a perfectionist or could this turn into a problem? I don't even see it, I only noticed it because I was running my finger around the edges.

White 64 3G

OP
L

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just need to know if it's a normal thing. If it's common and is not a concern I would just leave it.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I say return immediately if you have not already and ask for, no, demand a new one. It would drive me crazy. Getting hysterical just typing this.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just need to know if it's a normal thing. If it's common and is not a concern I would just leave it.

It is definitely NOT normal. Mine had some very bad gaps, so I called customer support and they set up an appointment for an exchange at my local Apple store. I ended up getting the brown box unit, but according to some of the folks here, it isn't a refurbished unit. Before I called I went to a Best Buy store and the one they had on display showed the trim as tight as a drum. Now get this. When I went to the Apple store to do the exchange, everyone of their white models had bad trim separation. All the black models were perfect. Go figure. When I brought that to their attention, they played their blind act. The unit I was given is very near perfect with just a very slight separation on one corner, but you have to look at it closely to see the imperfection. I'm satisfied with what I have now, but somewhat disappointed with Apple's quality control. Over the years, I have always been impressed with Apple's build quality. This issue is a definate blemish to their reputation.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Videographer said:
It is definitely NOT normal. Mine had some very bad gaps, so I called customer support and they set up an appointment for an exchange at my local Apple store. I ended up getting the brown box unit, but according to some of the folks here, it isn't a refurbished unit. Before I called I went to a Best Buy store and the one they had on display showed the trim as tight as a drum. Now get this. When I went to the Apple store to do the exchange, everyone of their white models had bad trim separation. All the black models were perfect. Go figure. When I brought that to their attention, they played their blind act. The unit I was given is very near perfect with just a very slight separation on one corner, but you have to look at it closely to see the imperfection. I'm satisfied with what I have now, but somewhat disappointed with Apple's quality control. Over the years, I have always been impressed with Apple's build quality. This issue is a definate blemish to their reputation.

Thankfully I have never had this with any Apple product, nor have I seen it on any product in the store. I think it was just bad luck on your part. Glad you are more satisfied now though.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
L

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: so I returned it, and the new one they gave me was worse. I got mine from best buy and they have been great about all the exchanges. I opened the new device and it just so happens that an apple rep was there. I showed him the problem and he told me that I can't expect perfection. I told him that for the money I am paying, I want this device to bare my children. So I asked for another one. Now on # 7. That's right I said 7. It have a near perfect trim and slight bleed, but I am sticking with this one. All I have to say is apple is going to get a very long unhappy letter from me. Best buy on the other hand were surprising great about everything. In fact, the manager came over to me and ask me my problems, I thought he was going to complain, but he just wanted to know what he should look out for, since he was getting one next week :)
Ugh, what a horrible experience with this product. Glad I bought the buy back from best buy so when the 3 comes out I can go though this all over again. Lol

Most reactions