Plan on getting a Zagg Invisibleshield for your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by wot_fan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Kaelon

Kaelon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Nightmare to install

Hey guys,

Just thought that I would add in my two cents regarding the Zagg InvisibleShield (front). In short, installation was a nightmare. I spent over 45 minutes -- after having read the manual, watched a couple of YouTube instructional videos, and ensured that my entire working area was dust-free, clean, and ready -- trying to get the little piece of tacky film on my iPad. I sprayed my fingers, sprayed both sides of the protector film, and then proceeded to attempt to get the film on the screen. Despite being slippery, it stuck quickly and stretched unnaturally ("military-grade", my foot!), and after ten minutes of fiddling with trying to position and slide it properly, it folded in upon itself and became useless. I spent the rest of the time trying to get it unfolded and repositioned. After a frustrating session, I called it quits and tossed the film.

It's so unforgiving that I cannot honestly see how Zagg expects the typical consumer to install this themselves. I consider myself very dexterous (I'm a pianist, for example, and this finger-work was far more ridiculous than anything I have ever dealt with). I am considering having Best Buy or a Kiosk install the product, but I really have to know if you guys think it's worth it, or, if there's a screen for front protection that will do the trick without giving me a coronary.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Purpleorchid

Purpleorchid
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Stretched unnaturally? You don't stretch the product to install it. You just lay it down on the device. Imagine a sheet of tissue paper soaked with liquid glue. You hold it up by two corners, and gently lower it down, align the two other corners onto the device, the gently let those two corners touch the device, then continue to lay/roll the film down along the screen.

If you notice it's misaligned or you accidentally got a big bubble forming, you pull it up the way you laid it down, and start over. With the liquid, there should not be any unnatural stretching to lift it up again.

Sorry you had trouble installing it.

3. motorman4566

motorman4566
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have one on front and back had installed works great and won't scratch! Love products

4. Michael@GadgetInsight

Michael@GadgetInsight
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have never been a fan of cases for my electronics. The iPad and iPhone are some of the greatest products out there because of the functionality they provide in such a thin and lightweight package. I don't like to bulk up the device with big cases. I figure I'll try out the zagg because it may just preserve the iPad in its original form and provide some additional protection.

5. figmo10

figmo10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    My opinion, which is decried by nearly everyone who hears of it, states that iPad screen protectors are of dubious value.

6. Action

Action
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No where in my instruction sheet said to fill up the bottle if it ran out. BTW my bottle was only 1/2" diameter so I must have gotten the wrong bottle in the package and perhaps instructions! Glad I'm exchanging the shield tomorrow at Best Buy and giving it another try! I'll look for the comment about filling up the bottle and see if the bottle is the 1.5" diameter version.

7. kheldour

kheldour
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

Here are the instructions.

Read them carefully before you apply the skin.

8. Cathie

Cathie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Zagg worked for me

I have had my Zagg protector on my 64gb 3G wifi iPad since I received it on April 30th. When I opened the protector packing I found my bottle of liquid had mostly leaked out on the instructions and protector. I panicked. But when I read the directions to spray on front and back I felt a little better. I had enough spray left to do this so I did. I placed the protector on the iPad and tried as best I could to get it on perfectly. That didn't happen. I had a lot of horrible bubbles and when I used the tool to smooth them out I kinda stretched the protector. I was pretty disappointed. I still had some bubbles but the instructions said to wait a few days and they would go away. And they did. It took longer than the 3 or 4 days the instructions stated, but one day I noticed they were gone. I have small grandchildren that love to play with my iPad and this protector gives me a little piece of mind. The protector is a pain in the butt to get on but all in all it works. It has scratches on it now where little hands have done God knows what to it, but they're on the protector and not on the screen. And in that, the protector has served it's purpose.

9. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I carried my ipad in a leather case with a soft liner for about a week before my Invisible Shield arrived and I have 1 small, very faint scratch near the edge of my screen. I'm guessing I got a piece of sand or such in the soft lining that rubbed against the screen. The iPad screen is very hard and durable, but not 100% unscratchable.

I found the key to installation is to really soak your hands well and keep them wet. I didnt have much trouble keeping the film wet, but my hands would dry out quickly and stick if I wasnt diligent about stopping and spraying them down again.

10. Teacher's Pet

Teacher's Pet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    People say these screens are scratch proof, and I think they're quite scratch resistant. But I do have a few tiny micro swirl marks in my screen. I guess some people don't mind these since they don't show up with the screen lit, but I know it's there. I've been quite careful with my iPad.

As for the invisishield products, I really trust them. I've used them on several devices, even had them custom made for radio control transmitters and such. The customer service is the heist I've ever seen. If you have one on a device and warranty it, they'll replace it. I've had friends who screwed up the invisishield during installation, and Zagg shipped them new ones in the mail. One guy was having problems repeatedly, Zagg asked him to send them the device, and in a few days it returned with a perfect installation.

I haven't decided which protector I'll use for the iPad yet because of some other features besides just protection, may try something from a fellow member.

And all that crap about all film being the same is a huge crock. Anyone who's tinted automotive windows should know that all films are not the same, and this application is not the same as automotive windows.