What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmenfan83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kirwin said:
Well that's a hellava way to make a good first impression.:rolleyes:

It's not uncommon, though. I'm unsure why so many companies do that.

I agree ..I really wanted to like the xoom but 2 seconds with it swayed my decision to an ipad2 which I don't regret my decision in any way ....I have always been an android guy until I got my ipad2 and it has totally changed my viewpoint ...I still like android but compared to neatness and overall polished ios on any device tKes the cake as does the ipad2 to the xoom ....I have no idea why a company like moto would release an unfinished product to compete with the ipad2 when it can't even compete with the original ipad?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have none of you that purchased the Xoom read that Honeycomb isn't finished yet and that Google basically just patched together what they could so that Motorola could push their sacrificial lamb out before the iPad2 launch? The reason its choppy is that its running a not even beta OS. Its completely buggy. Google will most likely be releasing 3.1 as the true Honeycomb and disavowing any knowledge that 3.0 ever existed, since there is only one device it ever will have touched.

I love how android fans are always saying the next version will be the best!! I waited over a year for that "best" version and it never came.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience with Android, openness only means one thing, out of control processes running, force crashes, and one big word...unstable! Now, dont get me wrong, its great to be able to customize, but if you are constantly trying to figure out why applications are force crashing, your phone/tablet is running at the pace of a snail, and your battery is draining fast, its really not worth it. I guess if users can handle those issues, then they can go for the xoom, but for me, its not worth it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I kinda have to disagree with the above post. I'm more inclined to believe, due to so many examples of moto products to go by, that competition was never a consideration. The only thing considered was getting it out as fast as possible, as cheaply as possible. I get the impression the relationship between moto and Android is hate/hate but green backs keep them together. They both are to blame for the failure of the Xoom but neither wants to admit their part in it .

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had a chance to play with the Xoom and iPad side by side at a Verizon store. Web browsing was faster on the iPad. The iPad display looked a lot better. Will be interesting to see what the Toshiba tablet looks like. Maybe in 2 years Android tablets will be a good option. For now, I'm sticking with the iPad.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
I kinda have to disagree with the above post. I'm more inclined to believe, due to so many examples of moto products to go by, that competition was never a consideration. The only thing considered was getting it out as fast as possible, as cheaply as possible. I get the impression the relationship between moto and Android is hate/hate but green backs keep them together. They both are to blame for the failure of the Xoom but neither wants to admit their part in it .

Support Our Troops!!

I welcome you're disagreement with open arms, but if cheapness was a concern of motorola they should have considered not getting in a spec war with apple. The normal person does not car if you marginally beat the iPad in some categories. The ease of use and intuitive nature of the iPad are much more appealing than the "openness" of android products. IMO

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The time to measure the Xoom vs. iPad is about a year away when the Ipad3 will be available. The Xoom may at that time be a comparable product but at this time it is not. Not sure that apple with it's projected sales this year will have to great of a lead. Similar to the iPod story vs. any other music playing device. My crystal ball says to me that I will have a ipad3 next year just like I have a ipad2 this year and a ipad1 last year.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there seem to be 2 version of the screen going around or 2 that have been tweaked differently. still it's no ips screen for sure.

honeycomb is pretty nice and as close as most tablets have gotten to a desktop experience. but it's not finished. not even the eee pad transformer has it's sd card slot working yet.

it's a nice tablet, but a bit behind what the ipad 2 is. the asus eee pad can be a better competitor as it too has an ips screen and all the insides of the xoom and $100 less ( 16GB for $399 and 32GB for $499).

i'll most likely be returning my xoom... i may get an ipad 2 as the target near me has had a few 32GB white ones in stock.

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!!

I welcome you're disagreement with open arms, but if cheapness was a concern of motorola they should have considered not getting in a spec war with apple. The normal person does not car if you marginally beat the iPad in some categories. The ease of use and intuitive nature of the iPad are much more appealing than the "openness" of android products. IMO

I'm not saying it's right ,just that Moto is more concerned about the bottom line than repeat customers or producing a long lasting, easy to use product. Their definition of QC seems to mean Quite Crappy not quality control. I know some will chime in and say their Moto Droid whatever model is the greatest thing ever built but that is the exception ,not the rule. The return rate for Moto products due to defects is higher than all other brands combined is about 2-1 according to my friend who is a tech rep at my local Verizon store. After playing with a Xoom it seems to me like they tried to make it "feel" more quality, like when some cheap home phones add a heavier battery for a feeling of quality, but I agree it ,IMO, is a failed attempt at all categories. That is coming from an Android fanboy who doesn't like that the Xoom gives Android a bad name

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!!

Well said!;)

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O I love the zoom! The only thing iPad beats it IMO is apps. Yeah it laggs, now and hen that cause it needs some matnince witch I actually enjoy! If you are not an avid android user then it could be frustrating! I love the screen on the zoom just uncomfortable in portrait mode! That's cause it was built, including os and build, to be used in portrait!

iPad lags and crashes every now it then it just docent seem as bad apple does a good job of hiding it and have a great self maitnence on the iPad and it got much better with the two! Just wait for the quad cores comming out later this year, and possibly the iPad 3 also (rumors you know) but I think then and the improvent in honeycomb they will be much closer comparison.

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rlarson_mn said:
The time to measure the Xoom vs. iPad is about a year away when the Ipad3 will be available. The Xoom may at that time be a comparable product but at this time it is not. Not sure that apple with it's projected sales this year will have to great of a lead. Similar to the iPod story vs. any other music playing device. My crystal ball says to me that I will have a ipad3 next year just like I have a ipad2 this year and a ipad1 last year.

Here's me in one year: Xoom what?

Sent from my iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts