picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by STi, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is horrible...The screen sux and the choppiness is still there like galaxy tab...I guess honeycomb didn't fix it:(
    [​IMG]
  2. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Competition

The bean counters have lowered their sales estimates from 400,000 to 300,000 ... that's 25% down. Then a German Bank mentioned that Xoom has sold less than 100,000 in two months. Motorola was blown away with Anandtech's review in graphics. There are very few apps written for the Xoom ... most came from Antroid phones. They haven't delivered the 4G circuits yet, USB doesn't work from what I know ... Perhaps you can update us. Also Flash 10.2 is supposed to be out. How does it look?

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    No wonder they call it" Doom".
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I played with one this past weekend at Staples. Did it seem heavy to you? And the screen was so dull and gloomy. Maybe it needed to be charged.

There really is no comparison.
  5. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    The screen is dark and it is heavy to hold. For $600 ( WIFI model) the choice is clearly the Ipad.
  6. NAYo2002

NAYo2002 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I actually really wanted to buy a XOOM, with it's promises of openess and flash support. I spent quite a bit of time on the Motorola's official forums.

First thing that turned me from it was the lack of DRM support. Android prides itself on being open and free, however, it's a nightmare for studios. It's like a city with no cops, in that no one wants to open up shop. Second, the battery life is only about 7 hours in real active usage.

I could've overlooked them and got around those problems. However, I saw one in person and I couldnt get over how bad the screen looks. You can see dark lines between the pixels (as if they were in little grids as opposed to a seemless image.) This is more apparant in gray and white backgrounds. The ironic part of it all was that the Google.com looked terrible.

The big problem with android (I have an android phone) is that google is more concerned about developing new features rather than making existing features work better. In the end, android can do more things than iOS but it seems to do everything half-assed as opposed to polished ecosystem of Apple.

After wasting a few months researching and contemplating getting a WiFi only XOOM, I decided to not pay the early adopter price and ordered an iPad 2.
  7. Martlet

Martlet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I liked the xoom. It did seem heavy after holding the iPad. Not just heavy, but awkward. I suppose it depends on what you're used to.
  8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Very awkward. I kept wanting to stretch it!
  9. NAYo2002

NAYo2002 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's because it's 16x9 as opposed to 4x3 ratio. It's also optimized for landscape viewing. The torque is just a lot more since the device is longer and you hold it farther away from the center of its gravity.
  10. anthony2006

anthony2006 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    for some hardware and software issues the xoom may have a slight edge on the ipad however due to sheer number of apps you would have to be an embicile to choose the xoom. android market is practically nil compared to what you have on the ipad.
    it's like buying your groceries at a 7/11 where selection is limited and overpriced vs. a super target where you have everything under the sun (and then some)
  11. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The one i have is the wifi only..It is alittle heavy but doesn't bother me. I do like the widescreen aspect ratio but the screen is just so horrible it don't matter..It does not feel akward to me and seems built very nice but the screen yuck...The main thing that i feel will still be an issue with the upcoming galaxy 10.1 which will have a great screen is the web browsing,typing,scrolling...it is choppy and not smooth like ipad...I had the galaxy tab and really liked the screen which was brighter and more pop than my ipad but web browsing was horrible even with other browsers....My samsung vibrant does not suffer from this issue...it must have something to do with stretching the os to fit the large screens?
  12. Thphilli

Thphilli iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Have none of you that purchased the Xoom read that Honeycomb isn't finished yet and that Google basically just patched together what they could so that Motorola could push their sacrificial lamb out before the iPad2 launch? The reason its choppy is that its running a not even beta OS. Its completely buggy. Google will most likely be releasing 3.1 as the true Honeycomb and disavowing any knowledge that 3.0 ever existed, since there is only one device it ever will have touched.
  13. ICEHITMAN

ICEHITMAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I to played with a xoom at the local staples and just flicking from one screen to another was so jumpy, it turned me off from it. Add to the fact that one of the screws that holds it together stick out of the bottom and all of that makes me glad I bought an iPad 2 instead of that POS.
  14. Kirwin

Kirwin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well that's a hellava way to make a good first impression.:rolleyes:
  15. Martlet

Martlet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's not uncommon, though. I'm unsure why so many companies do that.
  16. Gmenfan83

Gmenfan83 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree ..I really wanted to like the xoom but 2 seconds with it swayed my decision to an ipad2 which I don't regret my decision in any way ....I have always been an android guy until I got my ipad2 and it has totally changed my viewpoint ...I still like android but compared to neatness and overall polished ios on any device tKes the cake as does the ipad2 to the xoom ....I have no idea why a company like moto would release an unfinished product to compete with the ipad2 when it can't even compete with the original ipad?
  17. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I love how android fans are always saying the next version will be the best!! I waited over a year for that "best" version and it never came.
  18. Petersenjp

Petersenjp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From my experience with Android, openness only means one thing, out of control processes running, force crashes, and one big word...unstable! Now, dont get me wrong, its great to be able to customize, but if you are constantly trying to figure out why applications are force crashing, your phone/tablet is running at the pace of a snail, and your battery is draining fast, its really not worth it. I guess if users can handle those issues, then they can go for the xoom, but for me, its not worth it.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  19. Godfather4190

Godfather4190 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Because deep down they know that they have no chance of competing with one iPad, let alone two:)
  20. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I kinda have to disagree with the above post. I'm more inclined to believe, due to so many examples of moto products to go by, that competition was never a consideration. The only thing considered was getting it out as fast as possible, as cheaply as possible. I get the impression the relationship between moto and Android is hate/hate but green backs keep them together. They both are to blame for the failure of the Xoom but neither wants to admit their part in it .

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.