What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIC or AVR micro processor connected to an iPodTouch or iPad

lord anubis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Searching the web, but difficult to find. I cant believe that my question is unique.
Does someone knows how to communicate with a pic or avr connected to the iPad or iPod?
Is there something available that I can look into?

I just need the basic communication between the two, hardware and software like.

Any link?

Thank you very much.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It may not be unique, but it certainly isn't a common request.

All I can do is point you to a pinout for the connector, and suggest that a connection alone will probably gain you nothing. You'll have to write an app for the iPad that uses the port to communicate, and it will be able to access almost nothing on the iPad itself.

Other than that, you probably need to find out where the jailbreak teams hangout. They would know all the tricks.

Apple iPod, iPad and iPhone dock Connector Pinout - AllPinouts

Lagranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's a bit difficult to give a specific reply without more details of what you're trying to accomplish. (e.g., are you looking to do development for these processors *on* the iPad itself? Trying to achieve a simple terminal connection to a development PCB for testing? Or are you looking for a full developer SDK that will allow you to write iOS apps that interface to a PIC/AVR gadget you're designing?)

Still, here are some pointers that may help:

- I'm certain you know this, but there is a huge DIY/hacker community devoted to Arduino projects. And since Arduino is based on the AVR....suggest googling 'Arduino ipad'. (Not being snarky. There were a large number of hits on Arduino-iOS interfacing projects that will likely provide some good info for you)

- If your development board accepts a standard (RS-232 style) serial connection, take a look at this app. It's designed to work with a specific hardware cable that you can also read about on the app vendor's site.

App Store - Get Console

- If you're looking to build a device that will plug in to the iPad directly, you might check out this book.

Building iPhone OS Accessories

If your goal is to bring an actual product to market, then you unquestionably need to join Apple's Developer programs for a variety of reasons.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
L

lord anubis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gents,

First I want to thank you both for your reactions.

About the connector, I have the pin conf available. About samples, I did search but found for now only globnal stuff.

What I look for the moment is, how do I control in cocoa for the iPad the USB or Serial. Sample code anywhere?

My short term goal is to create a working connection between a PIC ( 18Fxx )/AVR and the iPad.
I want to write a Cocoa app for the basic working. The same for the C or PicBasic in the µP, just the basics.
During development, I need a terminal to check/debug the talking, but it should talk to my own code.

For me, to get on the right track, I need some kind of kickstart, and then am ready to go and continue by myself.

Later I will expand it and make a framework. For now no commercial target, to specific. The iPxd is not the major part of the project, but essential.

I will look for the Book. Didn't know its existing.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
L

lord anubis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Book is very brief and general. No samples what so ever.

Any Hardware and minimum software sample?

Most reactions

Latest posts