What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos Take Up Space After Deletion, Also Can't Be Transferred

Seo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rexproductions.com
A primary use for my iPad atm is previewing my shots made on the field with a Camera Connection Kit. However, a problem I noticed pretty early on is certain files would be corrupt when transferred onto my iPad, and certain files would fail to appear when I synced my iPad to my iMac. Furthermore, upon deletion on the iPad, the photos seem to still be taking up space on my iPad (over 12GB unfortunately). I can't delete them through Image Capture or iPhoto (or find them at all) which suggests that the data has successfully deleted, but the graph at the bottom of my iPad page in iTunes proves otherwise.

Is there any way I can check to see if the photos are actually there?

If the photos are there, is there any way I can delete them short of wiping my whole iPad?

I've tried the usual fixes like restarting my iPad/iMac and emptying trash. Do you think updating my OS would help?

If I'm unclear in any of this I'll be happy to clarify.

Thanks guys!
Seo

nhbeast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange issue. Have you tried removing all photos from the iPad to see if the graph shows there are still photos? It may be a mis-reading as well. You can check the memory on the iPad itself to see if it matches what iTunes tells you. Settings->General->About. Other than that, I have no ideas.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can try resetting it (won't delete anything important):

Hold down Power and Hold button at the same time until the Apple logo appears (can take a few seconds). Then let go of the buttons and let it boot up. See if that helps.

OP
Seo

Seo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rexproductions.com
Yup, I've unchecked the photos sync and it says I've got over 12GB of stuff in there. My iPad confirms this reading. In fact, it even reads the 1453 photos that are hidden in there, while I can only see 66 on my computer and in the Photos app. A hard reset has no effect.

Does anyone know of a way I can wipe just the media like photos, music, and videos without touching my application data?

Would updating my OS be worth a try? I'm on 3.1.1 atm.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

donal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
photo deletion

A primary use for my iPad atm is previewing my shots made on the field with a Camera Connection Kit. However, a problem I noticed pretty early on is certain files would be corrupt when transferred onto my iPad, and certain files would fail to appear when I synced my iPad to my iMac. Furthermore, upon deletion on the iPad, the photos seem to still be taking up space on my iPad (over 12GB unfortunately). I can't delete them through Image Capture or iPhoto (or find them at all) which suggests that the data has successfully deleted, but the graph at the bottom of my iPad page in iTunes proves otherwise.

Is there any way I can check to see if the photos are actually there?

If the photos are there, is there any way I can delete them short of wiping my whole iPad?

I've tried the usual fixes like restarting my iPad/iMac and emptying trash. Do you think updating my OS would help?

If I'm unclear in any of this I'll be happy to clarify.

Thanks guys!
Seo
i need some hlep for have 1400 photos on the ipad but i cannot delete them . i tick them but the delete button does not work> do i need ot download some software ?

thanks

OP
Seo

Seo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rexproductions.com
Very very odd situation now. During a sync iTunes asked me whether or not to remove the photos (bar the Camera Roll shots) and I click yes, hoping it would solve my issue. However, it has only presented me with more confusion (and frustration). The following screenshots will explain my plight:

u2b8o.jpg

First, the odd "ghost" events, all dated August 7th, around the time this issue first cropped up. When I tap into any of them, I'm presented with an empty page with an empty toolbar. No option to delete them, or anything to explain their being there.

29cnjmt.jpg

Now, while I'm looking around (for the nth time) in the Photos tab of my iPad sync page for something to let me clear my Photos app, I see something off about my drive space graph. The "Free space" section is clearly out of proportion, which in a graph is obviously not supposed to happen. So, I go to the About page on my iPad to find out what's going on...

20rmw6x.jpg

At least my ghost photos are truly ghosts now... they aren't even being listed as Photos anymore! Looking down I see that I have 7GB of free space left. Hmm... subtracting my 12GB worth of ghost photos from my iTunes listed free space gives you 7GB. So it looks like iTunes is both seeing my ghost photos (shown as orange in graph) and not seeing them (as evidenced by the incorrect/correct free space statistic). Similarly, my iPad sees the photos (only 7GB of free space left) and does not (only 69 photos listed). It'd be less confusing if both devices agreed to see and not see the same thing, but my iPad claims a different free space statistic from iTunes!

I'm just as confused as my devices are. Can anyone shed some light on this mind boggling situation?

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are those photos or videos? If I connect my video cam to my iPad it will ingest the videos but they show up as black squares that wont play (funny enough if I open them in iFile using the default video player they play fine.)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe uninstall and reinstall iTunes will finally match thing up now that things have changed.

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blank Images

I use my iPad the same as you, I have noticed that images directly uploaded to the iPad from my Camera do not delete through Itunes. I have to manually delete them from my iPad. I assumed this was a safety precaution to insure that images that may not have been saved to your Mac do not get accidentally deleted when you do a Sync.

A bad connection to the iPad during the download from your camera can cause blank images, your screenshot indicates you have events, probably one for each of your camera downloads, try selecting the event and deleting it (if you open it and no pictures are showing see if you can still select delete after touching the screen where the first picture would be if you could see it).

OP
Seo

Seo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rexproductions.com
Yea, I don't mind that since you can select multiple images at once by swiping across the images (though without a delete all button deleting a few thousand images is difficult; thankfully the memory of my iPad is a limiting factor). I deleted all the images manually and then this happened. I hadn't realized that even though the images were deleted, either they're taking up space or making iTunes think that they're taking up space.

I tried doing what you said and unfortunately, it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

At one point I think one video was causing an individual event to be like that, and now it's just... duplicated itself. Regardless, a video wouldn't take up 12GB of space. This is a really, really weird issue.

I'm reinstalling iTunes (and my iPad) and resyncing to see if that'll help with anything. Really hope something will crop up and fix my problem.

Last edited:
OP
Seo

Seo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rexproductions.com
Salvation at last!

On a whim last night I restored from a backup, and guess what? Well, I just got back with a fresh batch of shots from the day's shoot, backed up on a netbook (grr, sucky battery life make me mad), and in Lightroom saw that my connected iPad had no photos! None; no screenshots (aww, bye bye to my cool ingame shots), no photos, no nothing - but could it be? Had I successfully wiped my iPad's photos without resorting to a full restore? I quickly jump into the about section of my iPad and see that I have 19GB available! I hurriedly reconnect my iPad and lo and behold, not a single bit of photo data! At last, I no longer have to deal with the terrible battery life of a netbook, nor have to rely on my tiny camera screen to review shots. Hallelujah!

A note to any other people who face this problem, try to restore from a backup. If it doesn't work, try all that I've done above. If it still doesn't work, well... you're on your own. It's up to you to do decide if a full restore is worth it. But if you're like me, your problems will have been solved!

I am a very happy camper! :D

Most reactions

Latest posts