What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo's Showing Blank Squares - No Pictures

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photographs coming through to my i-Pad2 from various relatives are being received just as blank squares and rectangles. But transferring them to my computer shows them as proper photographs.

This problem has occurred just recently because previous photographs received on my i-Pad are normal and are still there.
I did an update and I’ve got 4.9 GB of 5GB storage on my i-Pad – still no joy.

I telephoned Apple and explained the problem, their technical guy he went through some checks with me on the i-Pad and said he couldn't find anything that could cause the problem. Also, apparently, it's the first time they have come across this problem.
The devices used for sending have not come from the same source. Has anyone come across this problem and provided a solution.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photographs coming through to my i-Pad2 from various relatives are being received just as blank squares and rectangles. But transferring them to my computer shows them as proper photographs.

This problem has occurred just recently because previous photographs received on my i-Pad are normal and are still there.
I did an update and I’ve got 4.9 GB of 5GB storage on my i-Pad – still no joy.......

Hello Josh..... - welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide some more information: 1) I'm assuming that you are using an iPad 2 released in 2011 - correct; 2) What is the 'storage' on this device (e.g. 16 GB) and what do you mean by 4.9 GB of 5 GB; 3) What iOS did you update or upgrade to; 4) What is the size & format of the images sent to you (this should be easily checked on your computer - also tell us which computer you are using, i.e. PC or Apple); and 5) What have you done to resolve this issue on your iPad, e.g. have to tried to increase your free storage? Responses to these questions will greatly help to respond to your issue. Dave

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Josh..... - welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide some more information: 1) I'm assuming that you are using an iPad 2 released in 2011 - correct; 2) What is the 'storage' on this device (e.g. 16 GB) and what do you mean by 4.9 GB of 5 GB; 3) What iOS did you update or upgrade to; 4) What is the size & format of the images sent to you (this should be easily checked on your computer - also tell us which computer you are using, i.e. PC or Apple); and 5) What have you done to resolve this issue on your iPad, e.g. have to tried to increase your free storage? Responses to these questions will greatly help to respond to your issue. Dave
1. Yes iPad 2 (20111) 2. Storage is 16GB : 4.9GB of 5B is the Cloud storage 3. Upgraded on 10th July 2016 , the latest Apple upgrade. iPad is Apple and Computer is Dell ( Mircrosoft Windows 7 ) Very little storage used on 1Pad. ( Maybe a few grandchildrens free games from Apple.

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, ipad storage is 32Gb and have used 22.5 Gb.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. Yes iPad 2 (20111) 2. Storage is 16GB : 4.9GB of 5B is the Cloud storage 3. Upgraded on 10th July 2016 , the latest Apple upgrade. iPad is Apple and Computer is Dell ( Mircrosoft Windows 7 ) Very little storage used on 1Pad. ( Maybe a few grandchildrens free games from Apple.

Sorry, ipad storage is 32Gb and have used 22.5 Gb.

Hi Josh.... - thanks for the additional information - I'm assuming that by 'the latest Apple upgrade', you mean that the iOS is now 9.3.2 (if not sure, check in General -> About -> Version) - some folks have had some issues w/ recent iOS upgrades to older iPads such as the one you are using - the cause? Not sure?

You've not answer all of my questions, so please review my previous post, especially regarding photo format and size. In the meantime, I'm sure that Apple advised you to 'Reset' the iPad (if not already done) - BUT, if not then hold the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 secs or so), release both and allow the device to reboot - see if that helps. Dave :)

P.S. I have no idea what your mean by 'Very little storage used on 1Pad'? Is this the same iPad or a different one and if so, the relationship to your problem?

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, Apple didn't advise me to do a Re-set : The problem issue occurred before I upgraded to 9 .3.2 also the photo formats are JPEG and the average size is 800 KB - I think that's the information you want. I will now try your suggestion on a Re-set. Thanks - But,before I do will the Reset delete any of the files or information on the i Pad etc.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Josh, and welcome to the forum. Pardon me while I jump in here to ask a few more questions (and ask a favor).

What app are you in when you see these funny icons - the default Mail app? Cause I'm thinking what might be happening is that your iPad is not fully downloading these photos, so it's putting a "placeholder" icon there.

The good news is that this would not be a fault in your iPad, it could be a fault of the sender's device, your server, the picture size, etc.

To test this theory of mine, may I ask that you take and post a screenshot of what it looks like on your ipad to see these different icons?

Oh, and for the moment, please don't do a Reset of your iPad (which would be done via Settings). Let's see what this screenshot will show...

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 - Don't understand - What " funny icons " and What app ?? are you talking about ? Also, there are many senders devices which have shown this problem, not only one. The screenshot is a square/rectangle , just a GREYISH BLANK square/rectangle depending which way the photo's were taken. How can I send a screenshot from my iPad as I'm on my computer and the photo's which are on my computer are OK.

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marliyn - What do you mean by a " Placeholder Icon " Still waiting to do an i-Pad2 Reset !!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mickey330 - Don't understand - What " funny icons " and What app ?? are you talking about ? Also, there are many senders devices which have shown this problem, not only one. The screenshot is a square/rectangle , just a GREYISH BLANK square/rectangle depending which way the photo's were taken. How can I send a screenshot from my iPad as I'm on my computer and the photo's which are on my computer are OK.

Marliyn - What do you mean by a " Placeholder Icon " Still waiting to do an i-Pad2 Reset !!

Hi again Josh...... - I believe that Marilyn is referring to your first description of 'blank squares and rectangles' and whether these are being seen in the Mail App? A 'screenshot' would help so others can see what you are talking about? To do a screenshot on the iPad, simply bring up a screen w/ those images and then press the ON-OFF button and HOME buttons, a camera click should be heard, and the capture saved to the camera roll - you can email the image to yourself to upload to your next post in this thread via your computer. As to 'placeholder icon', the reference is simply to what you are seeing and describing, i.e. if an image cannot be completely uploaded or displayed, then an 'icon' might be used to refer to the non-seen image.

As to the 'Reset', the maneuver that I described does not go into settings - see the quoted list below and the last choice in bold - this process will not affect your settings or files, as noted. However, using the Settings -> General -> Reset choices, as seen in the screen capture from my iPad, will alter your iPad depending on which on is selected - you should not have an issue w/ the Reset using the two buttons. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 8.x/9.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.
IMG_6586.PNG

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Josh...... - I believe that Marilyn is referring to your first description of 'blank squares and rectangles' and whether these are being seen in the Mail App? A 'screenshot' would help so others can see what you are talking about? To do a screenshot on the iPad, simply bring up a screen w/ those images and then press the ON-OFF button and HOME buttons, a camera click should be heard, and the capture saved to the camera roll - you can email the image to yourself to upload to your next post in this thread via your computer. As to 'placeholder icon', the reference is simply to what you are seeing and describing, i.e. if an image cannot be completely uploaded or displayed, then an 'icon' might be used to refer to the non-seen image.

As to the 'Reset', the maneuver that I described does not go into settings - see the quoted list below and the last choice in bold - this process will not affect your settings or files, as noted. However, using the Settings -> General -> Reset choices, as seen in the screen capture from my iPad, will alter your iPad depending on which on is selected - you should not have an issue w/ the Reset using the two buttons. Dave :)

View attachment 73067

View attachment 73067
My iPad will not allow me to send Any Blank Photo's to my computer - tried many times

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did a Reset as described by Giradman - no luck & still can't upload blank pics to my computer e-mail box . When I try and send a blank square , an icon appears showing " Preparing with a solid ring in the centre" After a while another icon appears showing " Unable to share - there was an error - try again later " ( I am now pulling my hair out )

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again - is there any way for you to upload a screenshot of these blank squares?

And are you looking at your e-mail (using the stock Mail app, the blue icon with the white envelope) when you see the squares? Is this the only place you see these squares?

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
J

joshmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And are you looking at your e-mail (using the stock Mail app, the blue icon with the white envelope) when you see the squares? Is this the only place you see these squares?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Thanks.

Marilyn
I see all the blank squares & rectangles in my iPad ( iCloud Photo Section ) and when I try to send via the Mail icon , but it's not allowing me to send. Other photo's in my iCloud files prior to 10 days ago are O.K - no prob and are sendable.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The blank squares and rectangles are images trying to sync from another device, but they haven't loaded to your iPad yet. I suppose the internet connection or a problem with iCloud are the reasons why they're still loading. You can't send images that are not really on your device via email.

Most reactions

Latest posts