What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photos out of order

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhinden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I sync my ipad and computer the photos that are synced into ipad are out of order...any way to re-arrange them or, even better, any way to sync them without them getting out of order?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I sync my ipad and computer the photos that are synced into ipad are out of order...any way to re-arrange them or, even better, any way to sync them without them getting out of order?

The iPad's native Photo app has its own ideas about the way photos should be ordered and there's no way of changing that. But you can put your photos into folders on your PC and those folders will transfer intact to your iPad - though the photos within the folder will be ordered as the iPad sees fit. The only way around this problem is to use a third-party app - there are several available in the App Store - that will enable you to organise and sort your photos as you choose.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad's native Photo app has its own ideas about the way photos should be ordered and there's no way of changing that. But you can put your photos into folders on your PC and those folders will transfer intact to your iPad - though the photos within the folder will be ordered as the iPad sees fit. The only way around this problem is to use a third-party app - there are several available in the App Store - that will enable you to organise and sort your photos as you choose.

Tim

Thanks for clearing this up for me, too. I tried reordering photos several times, then threw up my hands. I thought maybe it was some weirdness between my iPad and my PC setup. Good to know that's it's just iPad insanity. Well, not good, but at least now I know the reason.

Not being able to arrange and delete photos on iPad is very irritating. That's probably my No. 1 gripe about a device that I'm generally thrilled with. (Hear me, Apple gods!)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Thanks for clearing this up for me, too. I tried reordering photos several times, then threw up my hands. I thought maybe it was some weirdness between my iPad and my PC setup. Good to know that's it's just iPad insanity. Well, not good, but at least now I know the reason.

Not being able to arrange and delete photos on iPad is very irritating. That's probably my No. 1 gripe about a device that I'm generally thrilled with. (Hear me, Apple gods!)

The only solution is one of the third-party apps. They will allow you to organise your photos into albums that you can create on the iPad itself, order them however you want - photo number, alphabetical, by date, by time, by location, manually - add and delete photos and also perform photo processing. There are a range of these apps from simple ones to those that can perform complex photo edits, processing, cleaning up etc.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. Do you or others have suggestions for a simple photo app? All I really want to do is arrange in order of my liking and maybe add captions. The simpler and the more reliable, the better.

Separate question as a result of this thread: Is there some trick to scrolling to the bottom of the message screen when there's a long quote? I know you can hold down your finger and sometimes get the text to scroll up, but it's clunky. If there's no trick, what are the chances of a scrolling button or some such being added to the forum?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. Do you or others have suggestions for a simple photo app? All I really want to do is arrange in order of my liking and maybe add captions. The simpler and the more reliable, the better.

Separate question as a result of this thread: Is there some trick to scrolling to the bottom of the message screen when there's a long quote? I know you can hold down your finger and sometimes get the text to scroll up, but it's clunky. If there's no trick, what are the chances of a scrolling button or some such being added to the forum?

For your second point, are you using Safari or the iPF app. If it's Safari, which I use, you can 'flick' the page up a couple of times but I know of no other way.

Tim

OP
dhinden

dhinden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...all set up mow for slide show via apple tv and my iPad for my mom's 100th birthday this weekend...our family will watch on the big screen while mom views on the iPad which is the only device she can use to see pictures because of her very limited eyesight!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...all set up mow for slide show via apple tv and my iPad for my mom's 100th birthday this weekend...our family will watch on the big screen while mom views on the iPad which is the only device she can use to see pictures because of her very limited eyesight!!

WOW - a hundred years old. You need to post some photos of her using the iPad - I'm sure she'd be our oldest member - please wish her a very happy birthday from everyone at iPad Forums - I'm sure Marie will post a Happy Birthday card!!

Tim

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How Does iPad 2 Decide the Photo Sorting Order?

The iPad's native Photo app has its own ideas about the way photos should be ordered and there's no way of changing that. But you can put your photos into folders on your PC and those folders will transfer intact to your iPad - though the photos within the folder will be ordered as the iPad sees fit. The only way around this problem is to use a third-party app - there are several available in the App Store - that will enable you to organise and sort your photos as you choose.Tim

I realize the iPad, as you say, has its own idea, but does anyone know what that idea is? I can't tell what criteria iPad is using to sort the photos and would like to know. I can't tell if it is using Date Taken, or Date Created, or whatever. Does anyone know how iPad chooses its photo sort order? Yes, I know I could go to a 3rd party program, but would like to understand the native iPad 2 photo sort order. Thanks.

Later: I found this URL which may be helpful: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4221?viewlocale=en_US

Last edited:

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
retexan599 said:
I realize the iPad, as you say, has its own idea, but does anyone know what that idea is? I can't tell what criteria iPad is using to sort the photos and would like to know. I can't tell if it is using Date Taken, or Date Created, or whatever. Does anyone know how iPad chooses its photo sort order? Yes, I know I could go to a 3rd party program, but would like to understand the native iPad 2 photo sort order. Thanks.

Later: I found this URL which may be helpful: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4221?viewlocale=en_US

Very useful post.

This issue has been driving me nuts today, so it looks as if I need to get an EXIF changer to adjust photos on PC and then do another sync.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions