What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos not syncing via ICloud from IPhone to IPad

Kziegenmier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So this was a frequent issue with my old IPad (Generation 3 I believe). Either the photos wouldn't sync at all, sone of them would/wouldn't or sometimes just a long delay. I got my new IPad Air2 in October and it was greatly improved until last week when we were at Disneyland with my Son & family. Now they aren't syncing at all, not one single photo in the last two weeks, and I have taken a lot!! So very frustrating!! Any ideas before I have to try and call the Genius desk? Anyone else having this issue? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If Wi-Fi is not the reason for your problem, here are a few things you could check:

Make sure PhotoStream is enabled on both devices. If it is, turn of off, choose Delete, and turn it on again.

The photos won't be added to your Camera Roll until the Camera app is closed on the device which took the pictures. If you find the Camera app in the multitasking bar, force close It.

Also, PhotoStream doesn't sync when the battery of your devices is below 20 %.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
By default (if I remember) Photo Stream only syncs when you are on Wi-Fi. This means both your device and the recipient's device have to have been on Wi-Fi for a significant amount of time since you took the photos.

You can go to Settings > Cellular and turn on data for Photos there (on all the devices that have cellular). Hold in mind this may have a serious impact on your data plan, if you take lots of photos.

Also, if Photo Stream is off on any of the devices, they will not sync just because you turn it on. Only photos taken since you turned on the service are copied to/from that device.

If you are using the new iCloud Photo Library, all I an say is that it is still in Beta. That means it's unreliable and should not be depended on.

The other service you may be using is Shared Photo Streams. I've never had trouble with this service, but I don't actually share them. I just use them to sync albums between my devices.

Like the basic Photo Stream it won't sync over cellular unless you enable it. Unlike Photo Stream, it will sync old pictures; so you can try turning it off, then back on again. Do it with a fast wi-fi connection, because it can take a while, and you may have to open each album on each device to force the sync.

OP
K

Kziegenmier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Wi-Fi is not the reason for your problem, here are a few things you could check:

Make sure PhotoStream is enabled on both devices. If it is, turn of off, choose Delete, and turn it on again.

The photos won't be added to your Camera Roll until the Camera app is closed on the device which took the pictures. If you find the Camera app in the multitasking bar, force close It.

Also, PhotoStream doesn't sync when the battery of your devices is below 20 %.

Thanks I tried this but photos still didn't sync. Guess I will have to take it in to Apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts