What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos- from Camera to iPad Air

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I have been taking photos from my Nikon camera and putting them in my iPad Air "Photos," but lately it hasn't been working. There's a few steps involved, but I have double checked them. Simple as I can!

1. Take photos with Nikon camera.
2. Photos go on SDHC Card within camera.
3. SDHC Card goes from camera into slot in the side of my Acer laptop; I copy photos from SDHC Card to desktop of Acer laptop. No problem.
4. I have Gmail on Acer and on iPad Air, so I attach the photos to an email in the Acer that I send myself. Now the photos are attached to the email my iPad Air has received.
5. In my iPad Air Gmail, I tap the attached photo.
6. In the upper right corner of the iPad screen, a rectangle with an upwards pointing arrow appears.
7. I tap the rectangle; a menu appears. From the menu, I tap "Save Image."
8. This should transfer the photo to "Camera Roll" which is in "Photos" in my iPad.
9. Sometimes it does transfer; usually it does *not.* Only about 20% of the photos transfer.

How can I get all the photos to transfer all the time?

I did triple-check this!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!
I

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - not sure that I can help w/ the Gmail issue on a PC (I have a Macbook Pro w/ Yahoo mail) - but emailing photos to yourself is certainly a transfer option but rather dated - check out post #6 in THIS THREAD to see if one of my other suggestions may be useful to you? Good luck - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With a Gmail account: do you also use Google Photos?
In that case it's possible to load the images to Google Photos on the computer, open the app on your iPad, and save them to the Photos app from there.

Do you use the Gmail app on your iPad Air, or the built in Mail app? I've tried importing images from the Gmail app, and it worked without problems. I had to import them one by one, though. If memory serves right, there's an option in the Mail app that allows to upload all of the images at once, which would make the procedure easier.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It looks like the easiest option would be using the Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader adapter. It costs $30 but it allows you to transfer photos directly from the SD card to the iPad through the Photos app.
MD822

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With a Gmail account: do you also use Google Photos?
In that case it's possible to load the images to Google Photos on the computer, open the app on your iPad, and save them to the Photos app from there.

Do you use the Gmail app on your iPad Air, or the built in Mail app? I've tried importing images from the Gmail app, and it worked without problems. I had to import them one by one, though. If memory serves right, there's an option in the Mail app that allows to upload all of the images at once, which would make the procedure easier.
Thank you! I don't know about Google photos; maybe time I find out. I use the Gmail app. Before, like you, it worked without problems. Thanks again!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a list of compatible cameras, current for OSX Yosemite. Digital camera RAW formats supported by OS X Yosemite - Apple Support

Thank you! Honestly, I'd never heard of the Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. Sounds good!

Well, I believe the OP needs to tell us more about 'how & when' he wants to get his camera's images onto his iPad - not sure that he is importing in the RAW format vs. JPEG - also, he is using an Acer computer presumably running Windows or a Linux distro?

@ Sproingy - I have but no longer use the old 30-pin CCK shown below (on my iPad 2 - now on an Air 2) - I would not suggest doing a direct cabled connection of your camera to the iPad - this can be a pain and may just not work; removing the storage card of the camera and using that w/ the iPad 2 usually worked for me - now, this is a fine solution if your 'on the road' w/ just your camera & the iPad, i.e. leaving your Acer computer at home - don't know how you like to interact w/ all of these devices?

But, if you prefer to first transfer your images to your computer and then put them on the iPad, there are easier 'wireless' options to solve this issue (if not already done check the link given in my initial post) - so please let us know your main objectives and working habits for the best advise - good luck in your choice(s) and post back, as this is a common question. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 5.29.18 PM copy.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts