What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos are HUGE when emailed

newenglander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I email photos from the iPad everyone always complains that they
are HUGE on their end. Anyone have the same issue and any solutions?
These are not photos fwd in emails, they are photos from the organized photo section.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol, I was thinking all along that a camera on an iPad may not be a great idea but if it allows large photos then that's something I'd be in favor of.

I imagine you would edit the picture before putting it on the iPad so it wouldn't appear so large. Maybe there is an app that will reduce the size?

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos are large because each pixel is called out in JPEG [or if a string of a single color, the compression algorithm says something like (turn on a red bit for 8 bits in length, or the computer equivalent)]. The colors/on off instructions are xy coordinates and color instructions must be indicated for each pixel. The bigger the photo, the more instructions [generally speaking], hence the file gets larger. TIFFs and RAW essentially do no or little compression and call out every pixel, even if all the same. That is why those files are very large. This is a quickie description and some will say I am not technically correct or precise enough, but who wants to read the whole page of description. Google JPEG or TIFF or RAW if you do.
LOL

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wait for iOS 4.2, I just read that the resize feature will be available for the iPad on 4.2. It will allow small, medium, large and native full size e-mail attachments. Your choice.:)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photos are large because each pixel is called out in JPEG [or if a string of a single color, the compression algorithm says something like (turn on a red bit for 8 bits in length, or the computer equivalent)].

Actually, not quite. JPEG, by defintion, is a compression method which you can set the degree of quality (lossy vs lossless), which in turn relates to how big or small the file size is.

TIFF, on the other hand, is a completely different file data format (used for images) which is more commonly used as a lossless format which results in huge files sizes - although it can also be used, for example, to "contain" a lossy JPEG image.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have another thought, is your camera set to take RAW+JPEG, some cameras combine both into one file, others make two files. The RAW+JPEG combined files are really huge. When I load directly from the camera onto the iPad (camera connector kit) they are RAW+JPEG and huge. If I download them to my PC first they appear to be seperated into two files, JPEG and RAW, and the JPEG is much smaller.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I knew I would forget what I once knew about TIFF and JPEG. Probably you would be better off searching using Google for each term.

I think the size on the other end MAY have to do with what the s/w does that "they" are using. Some s/w automatically opens the photo file to 100% unless "they" have the opportunity to set it lower in advance. If not, "they" will have to learn how to reduce the size using the s/w they opened the file with. IMO.

Most reactions

Latest posts