What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photography

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
I'm fairly new to photography, can some kind person recommend a (free) app to learn some of the basics; just looked on iTunes and there are 2365 photo apps! ...... rather a lot to sift through.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guardian eyewitness is a great app for looking at photos. It has some tips on there too.
Best thing to do however is to just practice a lot.
Buy an old manual film camera and learn how to use it.
Also go to your local library and look at some books!

Robert frank - the Americans, is a great book to look at.
The photobook by phaidon publishers is a good one too.

What type of photography are you interested in?
Documentary?
Portraiture?
Landscapes?

Or pretty flowers? If that's the case just look at flickrs explore!

Kaya3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure about apps, but there is a great book to help you understand how aperture, ISO, and shutter all come together to create proper exposure called Understanding exposure by brian peterson( I think) I also second putting the camera on manual and shooting. When I learned all of this, film was the only option, and I would write my setting down on a piece of paper,a nd rake a shot of someone holding the paper. I did this with an entire roll of film. When I got the film back, I looked at the shots to see what changes had what effect. I also just walked around shooting,a nd writing settings down in a notebook, and studying the shots compared to the settings to see what different apertures, etc did. You hae an advantage of being in the digital age. You don't have to take notes or wait for film! You can pull images into photoshop or something like that immediately after taking them, and examine the settings, and compare two images right away!

Good luck,a nd enjoy the journey! It's a fun one!

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm amusing myself with the photo processing application, Snapseed. It's good. I've put up examples where I have cropped and straightened, and applied filters and contrast etc.

image-3514156104.png

image-1103862696.png

image-2042505393.png

If you didn't get the app for free, then it's costs £2.99 in the UK.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A fascinating series of 30 minute programmes starts on BBC2 this evening. "Britain's First Photograph Album" will cover places visited by Francis Frith.

That's right up my street. ;)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Most reactions

Latest posts