What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoeditting

michae222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I everybody,if your interested in photography what would you recommend for editting photos. At the moment I just use the basic one on the16g ipad2. Although its the smallest one I used the logic that I will run out of memory in the end anyway so decided I "needed" the hassle of putting them on laptop earlier than I would have done with the bigger models.
Ah well we all make mistakes

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Snapseed comes highly recommended.
It's an app for iPad but is also available on pc and mac. I am trying out 2 or 3 at the moment and Snapseed is the one I tend to use most. It was available FREE last week as part of Apples Free app of the week or something. You might be lucky - try the app store ASAP. There's a free, restricted feature one called photoshop express that's good for quick fixes.

OP
michae222

michae222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just trying out your snappseed ,seems good ,am I expecting to much coming from photoshop elements?

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
michae222 said:
Just trying out your snappseed ,seems good ,am I expecting to much coming from photoshop elements?

To be honest, I don't know. Up to now I have usually only used Picasa on pc and mac (I found macs own iPhoto far inferior to Picasa). I was usually in a rush to clean up photos and get them up on a site or out to friends where topicality was more important than perfection.
When I was presented with this iPad2 I hoped it would finally get a chance to revisit my collection of good, bad and downright embarrassing photos and create something more satisfying. So far it's a struggle, trying to get round the restrictions of the apple "walled garden" and trying to decide, like you, what processing software would suit me best. I don't have the time or energy to go full PhotoShop, I'm not really interested in gimmicky stuff like Instagram etc.

So far PhotoShop Express was free and easy to use, Snapseed I am getting used to, and there's another free one called FilterStorm that seems very interesting - it is NOT intuitive, at least not to me, as I never played with layers and and so on before. However FilterStorm has an online set of helpful tutorials that I am working through and they show useful stuff like changing the contrast or brightness of certain areas by brushing over them with your finger, showing before/after onscreen rather than switching back and forth - seems like it may have been designed for a touchscreen environment from the ground up rather than being an afterthought.

I wish more of these apps would give a 100% functional version free for a month or so - I would have no problem paying €5, €10 or €20 for a decent one once I knew it would work in a way that suits me and suits the iPad.

I still haven't worked out quite where I should store my outputs - back on the PC with the big drive, or in the cloud (apple or amazons or googles or Dropbox..... Do I trust any of them?). Tonido and PhoneDrive have been useful for getting stuff from the iPad back to the PC and Mac over wireless but my life is complicated enough without multiple copies and multiple versions of all my photos.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also tried out Snapseed and I really like the intuitive interface. I have iPhoto on my 4S and I actually prefer Snapseed to iPhoto. Snapseed seems to be easier to understand. Although, it's not as powerful or comprehensive as iPhoto.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have quite a number of photo processing apps and find I use Snapseed the most since it came out. I like Filterstorm and it gives the closest to Photoshop on Pc-Mac but is less intuitive. Photogene has improved quite a lot and many like it--it was one of the best early ones. If you are only going to buy one, I'd recommend Snapseed (by Nik, they have been around in photo processing software for a long time and know what they are doing)

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
You might find this thread interesting

iPad 2 3G 64gb

That's an interesting thread. However the OP on that thread seems more interested in apps that do creative tweaks, Instagram style, like photos on book covers, than anything else. It's cool stuff, but I am more interested in processing apps that help me correct my own faults when taking the photo, or making up for the deficiencies in the camera ( I cannot afford a super duper DSLR!)

I guess I am looking for 2 or 3 apps that will allow me to not need to use a laptop and Picasa - so I need one for image correction, cropping etc, one for managing storage, and finally one for fun and artistic effects. I guess I'll keep trying the free versions and then happily pay the few €€ to get the full version of whatever suits my way of doing things.

OP
michae222

michae222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You just said one for cropping I find -ps express- is quite good and very easy. Lots of add ons but you have to buy them and reluctant to do that if they're not going to work for me. Unfortunately there is no one quick fix

Most reactions

Latest posts