What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photo taken on iPad has ".txt" extension

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I e-mail a photo taken on my iPad2 to my Yahoo e-mail it comes with a ".txt" extension which I can't change to JPEG etc.

It does work in Hotmail and Juno. Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't duplicate the problem. Did you send the email using the Photos app, or some other way?

Try a restart, and if that does not work a reset.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. Also I'm using the 'New" Yahoo. I tried another Yahoo account where I'm using "Classic" Yahoo and I did receive the photo correctly, so......it must be the "New Yahoo mail. I have trouble with not receiving pictures that are in the body of an e-mail. Must be all part of the same problem.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm using the the new Yahoo as well. At least I can no longer find the option to switch, and I'm pretty sure I could find that option if I was still using Classic. I switched back and forth a few times experimenting, which is why I'm not 100% sure. ;)

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And...I'm using FireFox but was able to see the pick in "New" Yahoo using IE.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The latest version of Firefox? I think they just released a new one. Maybe that is the problem, though I don't see how. I was using Safari. I'll take another look with my other browsers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem with Chrome, or the Mac version of Firefox 3.6.13.

Curious, does the extension still show as .txt when you look at it in Explorer?

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was interesting. What is showing as a txt file on both Firefox and IE is my animated signature. The pic is showing in the body of the e-mail in IE but not in Firefox.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So does the attachment show up at all in Firefox? If not, have you tried updating Firefox to see if you've go the most recent version? Or you could just try clearing the cache and history for Firefox and see if that helps.

OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And further more.....pics attached to an e-mail from my Juno account show as .jpg files and can be downloaded. And same as above from Yahoo in IE.

Seems it's only my Firefox browser with Yahoo. And since it's ok in hotmail and juno in Firefox the fog is clearing.

Last edited:
OP
thewolfe

thewolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Switched back to the "Classic" Yahoo e-mail and everything works fine. The "New" Yahoo is the culprit. Now I know but don't have any idea what to do about it. Anyway, I got my temp fix.

Thanks for the post twerppoet.

Most reactions