What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo stream

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
when i first opened photos app after updating to 8.1 there was both camera roll and photo stream, now there is no photo stream even thought that option is turned on. Where did it go?

How do i view icloud photos? I use safari to go to icloud.com and only get instructions on how to set up on my devices, which i have already done.

I should add going to icloud.com on both the mac and my pc works as advertised. Well almos:t 17 photos on cloud 87 on ipad. Perhaps it will take a while.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use safari to go to icloud.com and only get instructions on how to set up on my devices, which i have already done.

I should add going to icloud.com on both the mac and my pc works as advertised. Well almos:t 17 photos on cloud 87 on ipad. Perhaps it will take a while.
On your iPad, you can't access icloud.com through Safari. It's possible if you use Puffin.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not at the moment. Mine is still there. Did you change anything in iCloud settings?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Enabling iCloud Photo Library (Beta) in Settings - Photo made my PhotoStream disappear. Did you enable this recently?

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly! Photo Stream is still there on my wife's Mini, not turned on cloud. So with icloud on all photos go to the cloud but you can't get at them from your idevice! Awesome.

I have a Samsung phone and like to say "samsung has some really neat features. Some of them actually work". I used to add, i like Apple because everything works as it should. Guess Apple is copying Samsung now. Too bad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you disable that feature, PhotoStream will reappear - at least mine did, with all the photos that were there before I "lost" them.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another observation. I have one old photo in iPad photo in a folder called your cloud drive. This can not be the new cloud drive as I have 100+ in it and I thought with opening the new cloud drive everything should move to it. So no way to get to the new cloud drive photo folder but the old one seems to still be active. So strange.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photos app is where you go to look at your photos on the iPad, no matter where they are, iCloud or not. It's meant to be transparent. You don't go to a special place to see them, they always 'look' like there are there waiting on your iPad in the Photos app.

If you choose the Optimize Storage on iPad option, then almost all your older photos will end up in iCloud, with only lower resolution versions on the iPad. Good enough to look at, but not the full photo. When you do something that needs the full size, like editing or sending a photo, then the full version will be downloaded again.

The Download and Keep Originals option does what it says. The iCloud library keeps your stuff backed up, while the originals stay on your device.

Photo Stream no longer has a special place. It's all in the background. It still handles the task of making sure all your recent photos can be seen on your iOS devices and computer, but it does it in the main Photos tab. The only difference you'll find (or that I've found anyway) is that when you try to edit a Photo Stream photo it will prompt you about making a copy first; since it won't let you change the original on the other device.

It's different, but all your photos are still there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My explanation isn't very clear, it's because iCloud Photo Library is still in beta, and even though it's a public beta I can't find any Apple support pages for it.. So I'm guessing on what goes on based on what I've read in blogs and seen, behavior wise, myself.

The change in Photo Steam, happened without iCloud Photo Library. It's all in the background. You won't find a 'place' to see just your photo stream photos. They just appear with all the other photos.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well isnt that stupid! Any idea where my photo stream went?
thanks, What a mess. IMHO! Apple can do better - i hope.
@n4uau So, after receiving some very helpful explanations from J. A. and twerppoet, which an iPad enthusiast on this forum (the average member) would think should set you straight on THIS problem, where are you now with this mate? Well, at least you must now know "where my photo stream went"
Andrew

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So let me see if I can get this right.

All photos are in the cloud. If I select that option, the ones on the iPad are reduced size, a great idea. Now I want to send you a copy of a photo from my iPad. Which one goes? Big or small or do I select like in the past?

If I use Snapseed to edit a photo which photo does it get? The big one or the reduced one?

If I delete a photo from the iPad does it delete it from the cloud,i would hope no or it isn't a backup at allt!

If I want to delete a photo from the cloud how do I access it from the iPad since safari won't access it. And if I want to send you a photo that I removed from the iPad but it is still on the cloud how do I get to out to send it?

So much confusion!

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@n4uau So, after receiving some very helpful explanations from J. A. and twerppoet, which an iPad enthusiast on this forum (the average member) would think should set you straight on THIS problem, where are you now with this mate? Well, at least you must now know "where my photo stream went"
Andrew
Good on you mate but even a koala would agree if you can access the photos with a third party browser but not safari, that is a bit on the stupid side.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't access the photos with Puffin. What you'll find there, are the iWork apps, Calendar, Contacts, but not the photos. That was never possible when using a browser.

Most reactions