What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo rant

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks the Apple photo app isn’t very user friendly?
Example: trying to organize photos into different folders/categories.
When I move a photo to my “favorites” folder, why does the photo still appear in “all photos”?
And if I delete the photo in “all photos” it’s also deleted from favorites. I don’t want 2 of the same photos.
Isn’t there a better, more efficient photo handling app out there???
Rant off......

Thank you
Mark

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You do not have two photos when you organise photos into other folders. The photo remains in one location only and the “second” folder simply contains a link that links to the original location. It is effectively a search function.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks the Apple photo app isn’t very user friendly?
Example: trying to organize photos into different folders/categories.
When I move a photo to my “favorites” folder, why does the photo still appear in “all photos”?
And if I delete the photo in “all photos” it’s also deleted from favorites. I don’t want 2 of the same photos.
Isn’t there a better, more efficient photo handling app out there???
Rant off......

Hi Mark - LOL! :D I don't know how many times that I've posted (and many others) on this very topic - YES, many are irritated by this feature of the native iOS photo app - just a correction of your understanding, i.e. when 'folders' are created, only a link is made and NOT a duplication of the same photos, and YES you cannot put images into folders and then delete them from your 'Camera Roll' - others may have found solutions but many remain irked at this feature.

One solution is to search the App Store or do some googling to find an alternate app to Apple's offering - for myself, I use the one shown below - take a look at the features if interested - backup is easy using iTunes - there are likely many others out there but others will have to chime in - good luck. Dave :)
PhotoPro.PNG

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With the iOS Photos app, the way to put real photos into real folders is to do it on your computer, then include the folder(s) in your iTunes sync. You won't be able to add/move/delete items on your iPad--you need to do it on the computer then sync again--but it works fine for, say, my folders of vacation photos that won't change.

You still won't have perfct control over the order of display, though. I think it's supposed to be alphabetical by filename, but sometimes that doesn't work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As others have said, Photos doesn’t actualy duplicate photos. It just shows them in multiple collections.

Depending on your preferences this is irritating, or a feature. Because All Photos actually shows all photos, you don’t have to remember what folder you put something in to go looking for it. Also, if you have a nice picture of your dog and niece, you can save it in both the Pet album and the Family album (assuming you have both). If photos worked the way you are used to, then you’d have to save two copies of the photo to do this. Photos does it with one copy.

I think of the Photos tab as a convinient time/location organized list of all my photos. Albums are places where I collect important photos by subject. This leaves me free to organize important phot subjects, like family or favorites, and leave the rest alone, still findable if I need them, but not taking up all my day deciding exactly what album they belong in.

This newer way of keeping/organizing photos is so popular that over the last several years it has become hard to find an app or service that hard saves a photo to one, and only one location/album.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In truth, I prefer the Photo app way—all photos in Camera Roll and well organized in albums (and I then organize the albums alphabetically). I just rarely look in the CR (and most of my photos are uploaded from SD cards so that’s where the original is located) except when locating to process. I generally process RAWs in other apps and save back the jpegs, delete the original (they are saved in external drives) and organize by albums. One photo may often be in several folders (many of mine are) and this means there is only one photo but thru linking appear in several albums. I have files on my harddrives going back to 1998 and have used a variety of DAMs, Photoshop and Lightroom—and I actually like the simplicity of the Photo app.

Most reactions

Latest posts